Thread: Newbie

Leash Law Enforcer

I am thinking about trying my hand at endurance racing this year. I am an experienced rider who loves to do long all-day epic rides but have never raced before. I live in San Diego and would like to compete in several races this year. Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be good events for me to compete in that are relatively close to SoCal? Also, does anyone know of any good sources for training and competition information? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    check out ride424.com it a great source for info on races as well as links to other coaches and tips for training for one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Ditto the ride424.com site. Close to home, there's the Adrenalin races in Idyllwild and the Granny Gear race in Temecula. There are also good 12-hour races at Big Bear and in Orange County.

One of the best newbie 24-hour solo courses is Laguna Seca. Not technical, and very fast so it doesn't beat you up like Idyllwild does. The pit area is right at the end of the lap allowing for good support.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Pinch
    I am thinking about trying my hand at endurance racing this year. I am an experienced rider who loves to do long all-day epic rides but have never raced before. I live in San Diego and would like to compete in several races this year. Does anyone have any suggestions on what may be good events for me to compete in that are relatively close to SoCal? Also, does anyone know of any good sources for training and competition information? Thanks.

SteveO
    Jan 2006

are there rec-league type races?

I want to get into endurance races, but i dont want to pay a $100 entry fee. Do yall know if there is a way i can do endurance races just for fun?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    well, hopefully they are all fun races. why would you do it if it wasn't just for fun. if you aren't a pro, or an aspiring pro, what's the purpose of being, "super serious have no fun"? I've done OK at a few races and bombed some races and you know what, I had a great time at both of them. As for the money, you can usually pre register and save some money....

SteveO
    Jan 2006

so what ur saying...

basically i should just go for it? im just wondering if there are more non-competitive endurance races because im not fast at all and i dont want to anger a bunch of guys wanting to race by sitting there twee-diddling my way along

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005

No worries!

Quote Originally Posted by gothrashers04
    basically i should just go for it? im just wondering if there are more non-competitive endurance races because im not fast at all and i dont want to anger a bunch of guys wanting to race by sitting there twee-diddling my way along
    It doesn't really matter what speed you go in long events. In most endurance events there is a strong grass roots, brotherly love kind of vibe going on, especially 24s. Those that want to race fast will, and know how to pass...there are many reasons to do long events, and if you have any of them, give it a shot! They are a blast if you are prepared.

BTW, entry fees are by far the smallest cost associated with races...

Members who have read this thread: 0