mtbr member

New pack: Ergon BX3 vs Osprey Raptor 14 vs other?

Looking for a bigger pack than the Camelback Mule I currently ride with. It is totally maxed out on all day rides, especially when multiple layers are needed at beginning/end. Was also thinking that a larger option might also allow for carrying 2 water bags when exploring in areas where there's limited/no refill options (rather than have to pump somewhere along the way).

Anyone tried any of these? The Ergon looks interesting but I've never seen it in person and am not sure how it will fit or load.

Thanks for the suggestions

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I can't fit two bladders in it but I can stuff a hell of a lot of things (too much) in the wingnut hyper 2.5. And of course there are much larger options available.

Wingnut Gear » Products

Absolutely LOVE how low it sits (although the cords can get tangled on the front of the seat.

I got it for endurance racign but it's more suited to all-day excursions where you bring a filter - imo

I'm going to get one of the smaller packs for races that aren't multiple laps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    If your a big guy close to 6' the raptor is a nice pack. I have one and I like the little hip pocket on this pack because you van actually get into them without removing the pack unlike most others. the removable tool bag hidden in the very bottom is also a cool feature. I'm 5'10 160lbs and it's on the big(length is a bit tall) side because it fells like it's over my ass but at the same time when I'm tipping my head way back for the rock drops and stuff I can feel my helmet touch the top of the bag. If your a Moto trail guy like myself then it's one of my top choices for that. I considered the raptor 10 but I dont think it's any shorter, just slimmer and it loses the hip pockets and maybe the tool pouch so your basically back to a mule.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by plantdude View Post
    Looking for a bigger pack than the Camelback Mule I currently ride with. It is totally maxed out on all day rides, especially when multiple layers are needed at beginning/end. Was also thinking that a larger option might also allow for carrying 2 water bags when exploring in areas where there's limited/no refill options (rather than have to pump somewhere along the way).

Anyone tried any of these? The Ergon looks interesting but I've never seen it in person and am not sure how it will fit or load.

Thanks for the suggestions
    I have a Raptor 18 from the first year they were released. It's my go to pack (I have, um, 4 hydration packs?).

I love Osprey stuff in general. The Raptor is really nicely laid out with compartments that make sense and lots of smart little convenience features.

If there's one caveat on that pack in particular, it's a little heavy. I remember when I got it, I took it out of the box totally brand new and empty, and it kind of felt like it came with a pint of water in it.

But as I say, it's my go-to. The Raptor is a convenience pack. The joys of dealing with it offset the weight for me, for the most part.

If I'm doing something huge, I'll use my trusty Talon 22. It's actually way lighter than my raptor even though the capacity is almost bottomless. It feels twice as big as the raptor, not 22% bigger. But it's also kind of a pain to deal with, because there is one big mega compartment, a mesh pouch at the top, and all the standard Osprey external stuff compartments and straps. Often with that pack (the T22), finding one thing involves dumping every damn thing in it out onto the ground.

Can't comment on the Ergon packs, but without even looking I'd guess they are substantially lighter than the Raptor.

EDIT: I'm 6'1" and the Raptor 18 fits like it was made for me.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RojoRacing53 View Post
    If your a big guy close to 6' the raptor is a nice pack. I have one and I like the little hip pocket on this pack because you van actually get into them without removing the pack unlike most others. the removable tool bag hidden in the very bottom is also a cool feature. I'm 5'10 160lbs and it's on the big(length is a bit tall) side because it fells like it's over my ass but at the same time when I'm tipping my head way back for the rock drops and stuff I can feel my helmet touch the top of the bag. If your a Moto trail guy like myself then it's one of my top choices for that. I considered the raptor 10 but I dont think it's any shorter, just slimmer and it loses the hip pockets and maybe the tool pouch so your basically back to a mule.
    Just a clarification on your Raptor 10 vs Raptor 14 comments: All of the Raptor series retain the hip belt pockets. The 10 and 14 both have the roll out tool pouch in its own separate compartment. The Raptor 6 comes with a tool pouch that fits into the main compartment.

Glad you are liking yours and thanks for the positive comments.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Oops yeah your right. I was going off memory but after checking the osprey site I was thinking raptor vs syncros. The syncros has one of those raised of the pack trampoline backing that let's your back breath really will and keep a nice uniform fit no matter what's in the pack, but it lacks the features I liked about the raptor.

Honestly I used my raptor 14 for a half dozen 10hr rides and I loved it but one of the chest clips broke so I took it back to rei for a replacment. I have even use the new one yet because I'm thinking about trading it with a raptor 10 which wasn't in stock at my local rei both times I went. I think if your only packing light weight stuff the 14 is ok but as so as your things going in become heavy it can hold enough to make it a noticeable hidden on your back when climbing the hills. For this reason I think I'll get the 10 for MTBing since I can load enough stuff in it to make it pleanty heavy enough and maybe keep the 14 for the moot where I don't have to pedal up the hills.

Seriously look at the syncros if comfort and capacity are your key features your looking for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Another vote for the raptor!

Never used the ergon but have been through 3 camelbaks all which are good but my Osprey ends up being the go to for what you are describing, I have never used two baldders in it but have done the 100oz bladder a 20 oz bottle and a liter of gatorade! Probably also had some layers and food in there, plus tools. It is by no means light but for training I don't care. I have done some races with it but no longer do that I use a small light 70oz pack. I had beat that pack to death over and over when I finally sent it back to osprey they did a great job fixing it and making it near new again, put new bladder hose elastic on the straps, replaced belt buckle. Returned it very quick to so they honor there lifetime commitment, all you have to do is email them get your RMA#, right it on the box and ship it off. You oay to ship back but they return at cost.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member

Ended up picking up a Raptor 14. Very nicely designed. Couldn't find the Ergon anywhere and wasn't into buying it sight unseen. The one thing about the Raptor that stumped me: all of their other packs have rain covers; why doesn't the Raptor? Definitely a bummer, but not enough to keep me from buying it. Not only would the cover be useful in the rain, but also post rain on muddy rides. It would keep clean up a bit easier. Note for Osprey rep: include it or offer an accessory cover that one can buy. I bought a small rei pack cover that will work if I really need it, but the fit isn't all that great.

Edit: noticed on the Osprey website that they make a small reflective pack cover. Will have to get this...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by plantdude View Post
    Ended up picking up a Raptor 14. Very nicely designed. Couldn't find the Ergon anywhere and wasn't into buying it sight unseen. The one thing about the Raptor that stumped me: all of their other packs have rain covers; why doesn't the Raptor? Definitely a bummer, but not enough to keep me from buying it. Not only would the cover be useful in the rain, but also post rain on muddy rides. It would keep clean up a bit easier. Note for Osprey rep: include it or offer an accessory cover that one can buy. I bought a small rei pack cover that will work if I really need it, but the fit isn't all that great.

Edit: noticed on the Osprey website that they make a small reflective pack cover. Will have to get this...
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier to direct you toward the Osprey rain cover but it sounds like you found it on your own. Built in rain covers are always a tricky decision due to weight and cost considerations. Some people live in areas where they can't go without them and some people never, ever need them. In the Raptor's case we opted to leave it off and offer as an accessory for those that need it.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ospreypacks View Post
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier to direct you toward the Osprey rain cover but it sounds like you found it on your own. Built in rain covers are always a tricky decision due to weight and cost considerations. Some people live in areas where they can't go without them and some people never, ever need them. In the Raptor's case we opted to leave it off and offer as an accessory for those that need it.
    Makes sense. Got the XS HiVis Osprey pack cover and it works great. It is actually nice in some ways that it isn't integrated (to your point) as I can leave it behind when there's no rain or mud involved...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    For Situations where I might get stuck in a downpour I go one of two ways if I just have to get out:

1- Likely be somewhere where I don't need hyrdation pack so try to go with out one.

2- In the mountains since you never know I almost always carry a raincoat which when purchased made sure it fits over my pack as well (Gore Apl-X good coat by the way). Yes it is a little big but when its raining and your wet dont really carry about a little extra fabric flapping in the wind.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!