mtbr member
    Oct 2012

New Hampshire 100

Its the middle of winter here and I'm trying to get some rides on the calendar. Can anyone tell me about it? Terrain? Hardtail friendly or definitely a FS course? Their website mentions 7000 ft of climbing.....I have not done a longer race like this before (registering for the 100k, not the hundred miler) but it would be good to have something different to train for. And I'd be more of a participant than a competitor for what it's worth.

mtbr member
    Take a look at some of the helmet cam videos on their website. I'd say FS 29er, if you have one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Friend of mine did it last year on his clapped out beater of a 26er hardtail (after his carbon 29er fell out of his truck on the way and got destroyed). With pretty minimal tech skills he said the hardtail was fine. That being said, I am planning on doing the same as you, particpant not competitor and will ride my 26 xc fully. Close to the same weight as my ht and simply more comfortable.
    What are your 2 bikes to choose from?
    rise above

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've done both the 100K and 100M events also as a participant (maybe one day I can think of an age group podium). All 3 times has been on my 26" Spec Epic, but this next year I'll be on a 29er HT for the 100M. The course is a mix of fire road, paved road, Class 6 snowmobile trails and some sweet single track. Nothing there requires a FS bike in any way. Ride what you're most comfortable on so you can enjoy it the most.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    As my screename would suggest, I ride a Trek/GF Rumblefish 29er (120mm fr/110mm rear), which I love and is a very plush but kind of heavy bike and sometimes a little too squishy. An absolute monster truck - point and shoot. Its a 21" frame so its probably 31 pounds or possibly more (have never bothered to weigh it). Its my only "modern" mountain bike (other is a '95 rigid Trek 930), so for now the plan is to use it for everything this season. I've got about 10-12 pounds to lose off my body to get down to my endurance sport weight, so maybe if I get to that target I will reward myself with a lighter bike with more XC geometry.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    A friend rode his Rip9 the last few years (one year to an almost 40-49 podium spot until a stick ripped the cage off his rear derailleur). I think you'll be just fine.