mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Need Nee Xc Bike Help

Hi Guys,
    I need help choosing a new Xc Bike. I am 14 110lbs and about 5'4. I race in the WORS Series and just last race at Treadfest I realized I need a full suspension. Right now I have a Trek 4100 2004. I have put some upgrades on it. I realized I need a full suspension when I hit a hard bump and my seat knocked loose and messed up my entire race. Those bumps are brutal. I am thinking about a Specialized Epic or a Trek Superfly Fs. My budget is $2000. And suggestions will help. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm a huge fan of the Superfly. They just released the 6, which includes a Deore drivetrain and Shimano's M395 brakeset. I'm definitely biased, working at a indy Trek dealer... but working with them and dealing with their bikes, I would definitely go this route.
    Superfly FS 6 - New! - Trek Bicycle

Your Best Friend

Re: Need Nee Xc Bike Help

Here's my opinion...I'm a high school coach so I see quite a few kids just like you. You do not "need" a full suspension bike. You just need to work on your skills. $2000 does not buy a lot of FS. However that will buy a very decent HT. Uograde to something light and with a better fork and components. Then go out and work at it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamPlaysDrums View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the Superfly. They just released the 6, which includes a Deore drivetrain and Shimano's M395 brakeset. I'm definitely biased, working at a indy Trek dealer... but working with them and dealing with their bikes, I would definitely go this route.
    Superfly FS 6 - New! - Trek Bicycle
    Thanks my trek is starting to show signs of wear. I bent and axel, rear derailliar, and rim while training. I am getting ready for a new bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Here's my opinion...I'm a high school coach so I see quite a few kids just like you. You do not "need" a full suspension bike. You just need to work on your skills. $2000 does not buy a lot of FS. However that will buy a very decent HT. Uograde to something light and with a better fork and components. Then go out and work at it.
    ok thanks like I told adamplaysd my trek has seen better days. Thanks for your recommendation

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    I agree with this advice. Get a better hardtail and continue to work on skills that will smooth out those bumps. If you get a FS now, you will not improve the skills as much and will only make the bad habits harder to break at a later time. I truly believe that the reason that many of us older guys can ride smoother than others is because we learned on fully rigid bikes. Learning to find the smoothest line or ways to ride that smooth it out the most will pay the most dividends for your racing future.

Wrench

"need"

...Is such a strong word

Hardtails are extremely capable machines. Upgrade yourself first, bike second.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacl216 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I need help choosing a new Xc Bike. I am 14 110lbs and about 5'4. I race in the WORS Series and just last race at Treadfest I realized I need a full suspension. Right now I have a Trek 4100 2004. I have put some upgrades on it. I realized I need a full suspension when I hit a hard bump and my seat knocked loose and messed up my entire race. Those bumps are brutal. I am thinking about a Specialized Epic or a Trek Superfly Fs. My budget is $2000. And suggestions will help. Thanks

NedwannaB

You ment Nino!!

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post

Upgrade yourself first, bike second.
    Good recommendation!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Thumper
    Always ht for racing. And as everyone else is saying...get better at riding. It's like surfing and so rewarding to flow through the smoothest most efficient line.

My seat came loose one time. My fault not putting on loctite. 10km no seat...sore legs and lesson learned. I must add, the night before I came out of the hospital after a 3 month stay and had no time for a tight and tune on my bike.