mtbr member
    Aug 2012

need help choosing and building a carbon 26 hardtail xc

I've done a pretty good search, but I have pulled out all my hair in frustration. Can anyone make this simple for me?

Goal- Build a carbon frame 26 hardtail for my 8 year old on the cheap. Yeah I know, he'll out grow it in a year. But is sinfull to make a 55lb kid climb 700ft on a bike that weights 30+lbs!

I'm thinking 15 inch or maybe 14.5 frame. I am a conservative person so I would like to avoid unproven Chinese brands. I saw somewhere here, there are other more established brand like planet x, and "something' 6" who have some sort of customer service and still are a good value.

I have a 7? year old KHS 26 full suspension bike with ok components, and I would plan to spend some money on some lighter wheels and hubs, but that's about it. Swap meets parts and freebies from friends parts bins for the rest.

So any specific suggestions for the frame, wheels and hubs?
    Thanks,
    CL
    Last edited by little851; 09-21-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: errors

It's carbon dontcha know.
    editops, not small enough.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Buy an inexpensive alloy frame for less than $100. Not much difference in weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

?

Quote Originally Posted by johnlh View Post
    Buy an inexpensive alloy frame for less than $100. Not much difference in weight.
    Thanks,
    But I got to ask, why does anyone bother with carbon then?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by little851 View Post
    Thanks,
    But I got to ask, why does anyone bother with carbon then?
    Ride quality depends mostly on frame design & construction, but high end carbon frames do tend to be stiffer & a bit lighter than their alloy counterparts. Most beginners will not notice a difference in performance. For a lot of folks, it's more about form than function.

They call me Shoogs
    Just get a misfit kd.

Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    IMO alloy frames are not near as comfortable as a carbon no matter the design. In regards to my Niner A9C it is not near as comfortable as my Ti HT which is what I use for all my endurance racing. Carbon can be stiff or compliant, but all alloy frames I have owned over the years are harsh by comparison. Granted experience has alot to play here. When I did not know better I rode alloy with impunity. Not no longer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by firebike7 View Post
    IMO alloy frames are not near as comfortable as a carbon no matter the design. In regards to my Niner A9C it is not near as comfortable as my Ti HT which is what I use for all my endurance racing. Carbon can be stiff or compliant, but all alloy frames I have owned over the years are harsh by comparison. Granted experience has alot to play here. When I did not know better I rode alloy with impunity. Not no longer.
    An 8 year old is not going to know the difference! Wheel build suspension settings & tire choice are much more meaningful.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    He's 8. Some life lessons won't hurt IMO. "Yep, climbing hills is tough." "We can't always have everything we want."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by firebike7 View Post
    Beyond the combined effects of your tires (unless grossly overinflated), wheels (unless freakishly rigid/over tensioned), your saddle/seatpost (unless unpadded/oversized alloy), and fork (unless you're riding rigid), your butt isn't calibrated finely enough to tell the differences in 'comfort' between an aluminum or carbon fiber frame. The differences are so minute as to be absorbed by the noise.

mtbr member
    I've done a pretty good search, but I have pulled out all my hair in frustration. Can anyone make this simple for me?

Goal- Build a carbon frame 26 hardtail for my 8 year old on the cheap. Yeah I know, he'll out grow it in a year. But is sinfull to make a 55lb kid climb 700ft on a bike that weights 30+lbs!

I'm thinking 15 inch or maybe 14.5 frame. I am a conservative person so I would like to avoid unproven Chinese brands. I saw somewhere here, there are other more established brand like planet x, and "something' 6" who have some sort of customer service and still are a good value.

I have a 7? year old KHS 26 full suspension bike with ok components, and I would plan to spend some money on some lighter wheels and hubs, but that's about it. Swap meets parts and freebies from friends parts bins for the rest.

So any specific suggestions for the frame, wheels and hubs?
    Thanks,
    CL
    Unless your 8 yo is really tall, why not find a nice 24" 'cruiser bmx bike and have someone weld a rear derailleur hanger on it.

mtbr member
    Aluminum would be a much better choice for your kid. Spend more money on components than the frame. that way when he out grows the frame, you can take the components over onto a bigger frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by solo-x View Post
    He's 8. Some life lessons won't hurt IMO. "Yep, climbing hills is tough." "We can't always have everything we want."
    Trust me this 8 year old kid goes all out every time. Puts himself in sufferland, knows its coming and almost enjoys it. I'm trying to help him out when it comes to his racing results

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    Unless your 8 yo is really tall, why not find a nice 24" 'cruiser bmx bike and have someone weld a rear derailleur hanger on it.
    I want him on a 26. He is already clearing **** no kid on a 24 has any business even trying. I know this sounds like a boastfull parent, but I hear it from other adult riders all the time. He's ready for a 26

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Aluminum would be a much better choice for your kid. Spend more money on components than the frame. that way when he out grows the frame, you can take the components over onto a bigger frame.
    Yoda, you are wise. This is my plan now. I'm getting the smallest 26" mtb frame and then will put money into a tubeless wheel set, and then as light as I can afford air fork.
    Thankyou everyone for your thought. I try and post a pic or two when I'm done. in a few weeks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So your son is finally making the transition from road TT to mountain biking?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yoda, you are wise. This is my plan now. I'm getting the smallest 26" mtb frame and then will put money into a tubeless wheel set, and then as light as I can afford air fork.
    Thankyou everyone for your thought. I try and post a pic or two when I'm done. in a few weeks.
    Tubeless, light tires, light frame, single speed, and rigid fork. Really at his weight most air forks are not going to work as well as they should. The air forks need a bit of weight to make them active. Also, light people do really good on rigid forks and it teaches riding skills. The same for single speed. I am pretty sure that with proper course gearing an eight year old setup with single speed rigid would be faster vs. other bike setups.

The best setup should focus on a super light part spec. Make sure you get a bunch of different stems sizes because kids go fast. Proper fit is worth more then anything else. Use short bmx cranks (155mm or even shorter). Focus on the kid having fun so and avoid frustrations with the bike. Single speed will be good because it automatically gives the kid help with pacing since they don't go too hard on flats or downhills. The bike should be geared for moderate hills and/or tighter singletrack segments. The kid will learn to climb out of the saddle and full rigid will help them learn to pick better lines.

Good luck; you have a lucky kid.
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com