mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Multilap endurance pacing strategy

Say you are doing a multi-lap endurance race. In my case, the Lumberjack 100. Going slower at the beginning I know is a good basic strategy. On the flip side, going too slow isint good either because at some point your "saved up energy" from going slow, just isint going to offset the ground that you didnt eat up at the beginning. Does this make sense? So early on...how hard do you push so that the pacing overall gets the most out of your fitness?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You know you'll have to to try some differnt things in your training and see what works best for you. I have done a few 100 milers and about 11 24 hour solos,I use to start out slow and was finshing in the top 10,but I found that to get into the top 5 or top 3 I had to get it on from the start. it works like this everyone is getting tired at about the same time so if they don't stop and they get 20 mins on you every lap for 3 laps and they are doing one hour lap times you just got lap and you are not going to be as fast as you are when you are fresh.. Now there will be some that will go fast but burn out.. I always try to go fast as trafic will let me, at the start I want to be in the top 10 to 15 on my first lap.

Good luck,100s are harder for me than 24 hour solos them guys go out hard and they try to start droping people as fast as they can. if it takes you some time to get your legs under you then get good and warmed-up before the start also try not drinking anything two to three hours before the start, if you stop they will be gone they are going to have a set-up where they will have someone handing them bottles or they will olny stop every other lap in the pit to grab another bottle and keep going.

One other thing I do before I do a new race, I go look at the past results and look at lap times.. Somebody on mtbr said "you will sink to your level of what you are prepared for"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    wonderful, thanks for the input. Ive done a couple of 100s with the goal of surviving...now I have a more specific goal in mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    In any endurance race, multi-lap or not, I generally try to maintain the same relative perceived effort throughout, with maybe a little higher effort at the beginning to make sure of not losing the whole thing right there!

Starting slow is a great approach for "completers", but not really that great for "competers".
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.