mtbr member

The Mountain Biker's Training Bible - Marathon ?

been reading a lot of the great info found here and I've been wanting to hear your opinion/advice.

I used this excellent book by Joe Friel the passing year during (sport cat.) 1 hour races season...
    after experiencing few marathons in the past weeks I want to raise the bar and build myself toward 3 hours xc marathon races in the upcoming racing season.

what are the "tweaks" I need to follow using friel's book ? will it fit my goal ? any other mtb related book dedicated for marathons training ?

thanks

(hoping 3 hrs race fits into endurance racing term )

edit: found an answer here: http://forums.mtbr.com/endurance-xc-racing/friels-plan-endurance-racing-x-post-training-595331.html#post6631435 . As I understand - it won't fit for 3 hrs. and I should consider alternative ways to come up with a plan for the upcoming year.
    Last edited by shahardot; 06-13-2010 at 10:22 PM.
    Specialized - SJ Marathon 29" (2010) ||| KHS - Solo One 29" (2007) ||| KHS - Alite 3000 (2000) ||| Kona Kula Supreme (2008)

g3h6o3
    You certainly have to include more long distance rides if you train for longer events. I'm still on my 1st year of a structured training plan and it happens to be for endurance racing. What I'm doing is to roughly use the proposed training load (using a time to TRIMP conversion) and integrate some longer rides. I've just finished my base period and did some 3H to 4H rides already so it's going fine. The closer you get to the important events, the closer your training should match your race so I'll start integrating longer rides more often and back to back long days too.

Not sure if this helps, I'm just sharing my personal experience and progression.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Livin' the Dream
    I had the same question when I switched over to more endurance. For endurance I am talking more 100 milers and up to 12 hour races. I would just add in 4-6 hours rides weekly and then do two 4-6 hour rides back to back every 6-8 weeks. I've since quit following the book and just do 3 types of training rides. 1 hour sprint type intervals two times a week, 2 hour threshold/tempo type rides, two times a week and 1 long 4-6 hour ride once a week. Puts my weekly hours around 10-12, which is about the most my schedule will tolerate.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Asbury
    What do your 1hr interval days entail? Are they 2x20's or shorter type intervals.
    thanks.
    ATV = fat A$$

Livin' the Dream
    The 1 hour interval days are much shorter, more along the lines of less than 3 minutes with 8-10 repeats. It hurts, but I have noticed that it increases my ability to recover and clear lactic acid more quickly. The anaerobic intervals help alot in standard xc races, but I notice a benefit in the longer stuff do, they help prevent me from burning too many matches. I disclaim though, I am certainly no expert, and I am constantly changing up my training schedule, but so far I'm liking how this is making me feel when racing.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

g3h6o3
    Asbury,
    4-6 hours training are enough for you to do 12H races? I've got an 8H at the end of the season and was going for up to 6H training rides in preperation. I already ride 4H without too much problems, I might be closer to my goal I thought.

Livin' the Dream
    I may do a longer (6-8 hrs) ride 4-6 weeks out, but yeah that's it.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by shahardot
    been reading a lot of the great info found here and I've been wanting to hear your opinion/advice.

I used this excellent book by Joe Friel the passing year during (sport cat.) 1 hour races season...
    after experiencing few marathons in the past weeks I want to raise the bar and build myself toward 3 hours xc marathon races in the upcoming racing season.

what are the "tweaks" I need to follow using friel's book ? will it fit my goal ? any other mtb related book dedicated for marathons training ?

thanks

(hoping 3 hrs race fits into endurance racing term )

edit: found an answer here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=6631435 . As I understand - it won't fit for 3 hrs. and I should consider alternative ways to come up with a plan for the upcoming year.
    I'd say Friel's book works very well for 3hrs events. This is still pretty close to XC race durations with all their typical characteristics. Such a plan will work for base and build period only anyway since you do not know yet how well you recover. This determines your race period. I'd also take his advices on where novice racers should take it slower seriously. A season is easily spoiled with too much hard work too early.

Get the basic idea of his philosophy, read other stuff, make up your own mind. You can also get a plan of Lynda, might be worth the investment. Based on a similar philosophy as Friel.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by Asbury
    I may do a longer (6-8 hrs) ride 4-6 weeks out, but yeah that's it.
    Ok I figured longer rides were needed. I'm having a hard time doing these because of the weather and the motivation to go ride alone (being with friends makes the ride so much slower...) How do you find your motivation?