mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Most versatile xc bike

So here is my challenge. I currently have an Evil Following MB. Its an amazing bike. Ive started to do some local xc races and enjoy longer rides and the Evil is just carrying too much weight and is a bit too much bike for this kind of stuff. I also cant really afford two bikes. So really im after a really versatile machine that i can build up to 25lb or below, that can cover xc racing / enduarnace events but is also still versatile enough for general trail riding - no black run / super rocky stuff though

Any real world recommendations?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I'd say the Scott Spark non-RC version. The weights they quote are with pretty heavy tires and metal rims and dropper, so I think even getting the ALU rear triangle version below or at least near 25lbs shouldn't be too much of a problem. That's kind of the route I'm planning at this point...

There's also the Intense Sniper, Yeti SB100, Specialized Epic Evo - this segment is growing. I'm a little old fashioned though and believe that actually have 120mm front and rear is going to be better at the end of the day on trails than going 100/100 or 120/100.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Id look at 130/120mm 29era. Like the Ripley or Trail429

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Intense spider is a pretty capable do it all bike.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hardtail?

I've been in the same boat, fighting option paralysis over which FS bike would be the best all-rounder for XC. After building up a hardtail/120mm for the Pisgah Stage Race last spring -and subsequent 8-12+ hr rides, 24h races, endurance gravel rides- I'm glad I did. Not sure if I'll add the FS back into the quiver, and not really looking forward to thinking about it.

YMMV

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ditto on having longer travel. Much easier on the body. The Trek Fuel EX can get close to 25lbs by ditching the dropper post and maybe a rim swap.
    2016/18 Fuel Ex9 29
    2017 Domane SLR8
    2018 Boone 7

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Most versatile xc bike

I needed a similar versatile bike. I ride endurance races, trails with friends on Endurobikes and long tours around the Alps.
    I got a Norco Revolver, which is a 100mm bike that rides like a 120mm bike. You could even add a 120mm fork for the tricky trails, but I feel like the bike is capable of more than my technique on the downhills.
    I got a Revolver 9.3 which was a bit heavy, but with new parts (wheels, RS SID) got it to 25pounds in size L. It is so good in trails and still climbing better than many other bikes I owned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jms
    mtbr member
    Orbea Oiz
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarn View Post
    Ditto on having longer travel. Much easier on the body. The Trek Fuel EX can get close to 25lbs by ditching the dropper post and maybe a rim swap.
    Hey, that's my bike! Just slapped the stock DT Swiss feathers from my 2016 FEX onto it, and wow!

With those wheels and XR3/XR2 tires, the bike has a decidedly more xc feel than the stock wheels and XR4/XR3 tires. Almost like having two bikes in one.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Student of the Bike
    I'm a dedicated hardtail guy, but if I was looking for something along the lines of your request I think I'd look at:

Trek Fuel EX (if I wanted to err on the side of longer travel)
    Intense Sniper (If I wanted to err on side of shorter travel)

I think both of those bikes could be setup as a do-all sort of steed in the narrower niche you are asking of it.

Later,
    CJB

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I'm in a bit of a similar situation, although my circumstances are that I'm riding a carbon Honzo bumped up to 140mm travel on the front as my single do-it-all rig. I'm finally starting to warm up to the idea of some travel in the rear as it ultimately makes the most sense for everything I do (anything short of DH, lately a focus on XCM). I'm leaning toward an Intense Sniper in 120mm, it has geo that is quite similar to the Honzo (which I really like), and can be built up to be very light.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Orbea Oiz

Your post had me looking more in depth at the 2019 Oiz TR version. Could you find any reviews or 3rd party info about it?

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peter85 View Post
    Your post had me looking more in depth at the 2019 Oiz TR version. Could you find any reviews or 3rd party info about it?
    https://singletrackworld.com/2018/08...019-orbea-oiz/

Maybe PM "LMN" on the XC board, he's pretty well connected to Orbea through his wife C. Pendrel [former XCO world champion], I think they have some extended saddle time with the 2019. In general, I think Orbea builds really well thought out bikes.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Maybe PM "LMN" on the XC board, he's pretty well connected to Orbea through his wife C. Pendrel [former XCO world champion], I think they have some extended saddle time with the 2019. In general, I think Orbea builds really well thought out bikes.
    These do look like great bikes, with the only potential problem being where to get one, and when you will get it.

A friend ordered an Oiz and it took 4 months to arrive. My wife ordered one in late August, and it is scheduled for January delivery. I read similar comments on Rallon threads.
    Whining is not a strategy.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    These do look like great bikes, with the only potential problem being where to get one, and when you will get it.

A friend ordered an Oiz and it took 4 months to arrive. My wife ordered one in late August, and it is scheduled for January delivery. I read similar comments on Rallon threads.
    With those L O N G Oregon winters of yours, isn't that just about the perfect time for it to arrive? ; )
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Thanks for the link

I also was told March from a local Orbea dealer, which is a long time to wait, but you've got to wait for the good stuff.

I've been digging around trying to find a weight on this bike, but have only found the LTD in medium being quoted at 9.6kg. While weight isn't everything, it's still a nice piece of info to have when making a decision... anyone seen a figure on the TR or lower end version?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Probably a bike with 100mm rear and capable of 100mm or 120mm front, with geo of your choice. Lots of options at a lot of different budgets. What brands does your local LBS have available should be a consideration but if you are comfortbale with online while not best option dont rule it out.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    What about a Santa Cruz? I have 3 bikes in my quiver, Hard tail, 2012 Tallboy and new Stumpjumper LT. I raced the TB for years on everything from shorter courses to 50 milers and 24 hour races. The hardtail is faster for smoother trails, but would not be my only bike. The Stumpy loves to go downhill and I will try my hand at Enduro next year. But the TB allowed to ride all day, plus was still fun in Moab, Tahoe, etc. The newer model should be an even better with updated geo and a dropper.