mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Mohican 100 or Lumberjack 100??

Right now I've got my eye on doing a 100 miler this coming summer. If anyone has done both of these races (or even one of them) I'd love experiences or suggestions on which to choose because I'll only be able to do one of them since they are so close on the calendar.

I know the Lumberjack is a 3 lap 100 miler and the Mohican is a single loop but not sure how that might affect my experience. I'm doing it mostly for the adventure, the experience, and to see how what kind of time I can do it in. I'm not a great technical rider but enjoy climbing and pushing the pedals the best I can. The Lumberjack is hosted by Founders Brewery which is a plus. Decisions, decisions..

Any recommendations or past insight on either?

Team Livemedium
    Mohican is a unbelievable mystical experience. Did last years 100k and it was pure sickness. Can't comment on lumberjack. For plain old ohio i was really surprised by how scenic it was. Great support and I even got to jam with the band afterwards.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    I have done them both. Lumberjack once, Mohican - this will be my 5th time. The Lumberjack was fun, and it was kind of nice to come through the transition area twice. The Mohican though, really is epic - the one big loop format contributes to that, there is so much more to see as you move from forests down country roads, farms, the endless railtrail (for the 100 mile). The vibe at both races is great, but IMO, you can't beat the vibe at the finish line of the Mohican --- and they have Great Lakes Brewing company beer on tap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    OK, I can only comment on the Mohican, but it was great. I traveled from CO and the terrain and forest riding was amazing. I love the one single epic loop format over the multiple loops of the same course option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Was wondering about this myself since I was looking at both of these as a tuneup for the SM100. My only hesitation about Lumberjack was sand, I hate riding through sand. I'd much rather ride through mud, and Northern Michigan can have some sandy woods.

Quote Originally Posted by tclaeys View Post
    The Lumberjack is hosted by Founders Brewery which is a plus. Decisions, decisions..
    Mmm, Founders, one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by bamwa View Post
    Mohican is a unbelievable mystical experience. Did last years 100k and it was pure sickness. Can't comment on lumberjack. For plain old ohio i was really surprised by how scenic it was. Great support and I even got to jam with the band afterwards.
    Mmm, great trails.

Guess I'll have to do both.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Done both, great trails but I much prefer single lap. So with that I'd say Mohican.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Mohican
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    One word. X100 in Traverse City.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    That race looks incredible. And incredibly difficult, which I'm OK with although I'm not the best technical rider and prefer climbing over technical terrain. I have it on my "to do" list for sure but timing means a lot and I've got a fair amount of local races that I'd like to do around that time. My friend will undoubtedly try to get me to Iceman, but I'd much rather do this one if i had a choice.

But in the meantime I'm registered for the Mohican 100k for this year and can't wait!

mtbr member extraordinair
    Moar talk about Mohican!!!

Im stupid excited and nervous about this race - it will be my first ever century! Trying to soak in all information possible, including training plans!
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
    One word. X100 in Traverse City.

This was a pretty tough race. If it weren't for the aid stations devoid of water it might have been one of favorites.
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc
    2014 Surly Pugsley

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Re: Mohican 100 or Lumberjack 100??

I have only done the Mohican 100k. It was a tough race and my first 100k. I did enjoy the experience of the race. I am on the fence if I will try for the 100 mile or better my 6hr42min 100k time.

I am signed up for the Cohutta 100 mile on April 26th.