Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mohican 100: HT/FS and Tires

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  sdemars 
#1 ·
I did a search. Latest Mohican 100 info is at least 5 years old so I'm not sure if or what has changed. Now that I took care of that....

From what I gather this is a fast course with lots of short punchy hills but no big long climbs or descents. I don't get the sense that there is anything overly technical where FS would be a big advantage. I've never ridden out there so:

HT vs FS? Seems HT might be fine if there are a lot of truly fast miles with few tech or DH segments. Opinions?

Tires? No clue what the surface is like there. I'm running Schwalbe tires this year. Usually Rocket Ron, but Nobby Nick if it's messier. Would the RoRo be fine if it doesn't rain? If it does rain does it turn into a mud fest or does it drain well?

Thanks

#2 ·
I rode the 25 mile loop on a SS last time I was in Ohio. HT and Rocket Rons should be fine. Typical midwest terrain, not a whole lot of rocks, some roots here and there, ruts from people locking the brakes on downhill switchbacks.

Can't comment on drainage. I think there's a fair amount of road on the actual race route

#4 ·
The race starts in downtown Mohican with a road climb out of town that leads to a dirt road and then onto a short connector trail, that leads to the 24-miles of single-track in the Mohican State Park…very nice with a little climbing, and nothing too technical. Exiting MSP, you’ll do a hard left, hike-a-bike section that has a connector trail to gravel roads, and some paved roads. One of the gravel/hard-packed roads is pretty tough to make it up, real steep.

These sections lead to Mohican Wilderness, which includes another ~ 10 miles of single-track; with a mix of all of the above.

The aid stations are very well supported. I think it’s Aid 3, on a private property (using back of someone’s house and garage), they have bike stand, water, various drinks, candy, cookies, fruit, sandwiches, chips…no joke, pretty awesome.

I think a hard tail works well for this race, and so does a single speed, expect for some of those paved connectors.

Good luck man, and Great Lakes Brewery has sponsored it before, good stuff.

#7 ·
I rode Mohican a hand full of times last year on my Fuel EX9. A hardtail shouldn't be a issue. I perfer FS due to my lower back but I used the pro pump on my bike because of all the climbing on the 25 mile loop.

I am doing the 100k this yaer for the first time and plan to ride alot of hills in the next few months. My personal opinon is you do 5 minutes of climbing for 30 seconds of downhill. Now I am a POOR climber but even my buddies agree, be prepared to climb.

As for tires I am running bontrager XR4's. They have done well at Mohican for me although in the early morning some of the rocks are slippery.

As for drainage i think it drains wel but I know in 2010(?) it rained alot before the race and a buddy of mine said it was a mud pit.

#8 ·
Raced Mohican on a FS 29er last year with Specialized Fast Trak 2.2s. This year I'd be on Racing Ralphs if I were racing it. I think a light HT would be a better choice than a FS; there's a lot of steep climbing and no technical trail whatsoever.

#9 ·
Did the 100k on an aluminum full suspension epic marathon 29er with Jones Mud x's a few years back. Tires got me a spot on the overall podium in very sloppy conditions.

Did the 100 miler the next year on an sworks epic 29r with fast track up front and Renegade rear. Course marking were messed with and a number of riders cut off a few miles coming out of the first long section of single track. A number of us decided to just ride the rest out without racing. Tires were good.

I'd run a racing ralph up front and raven rear if I ever make it back again on a full susp 29er.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.