Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Mohican 100

mtbr member

Mohican 100

3 months away and the snow is melting here in Jersey and I'm getting excited for the upcoming season. Who's all going to be in Ohio this year? I'm hoping it'll be another great race and favorable conditions would be nice. I've done it a few times in the mud but a dry cool race would be sweet.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Thinking about it again as I've only raced there the once in 2009, not sure I can make it work with my schedule though.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Make it work! It's still one of the highlights of any season. Those trails rock!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Started training Monday. This will be my first 100. I am signed up for the 100k but planning on the 100 mile at this point. I am going off Chris Eatough Mohican 100 plan.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am signed up. First timer traveling from CO Front Range. I have done several hundos, and I am looking forward to this one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Mohican 100

I am racing the 100k! I can't wait, this will be my first longer race, usually I do sport cc races. I am ready to race!

Rode out there a few weeks back on some of the road sections of the race and man there are some good climbs out in gods country!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I am signed up for the 62 mile route this year. Never ridden it before. Anyone that has done it could help us new bees out and fill us in on what its like. Any really tricky parts?

there's no bread
    Mohican 100

Some good info in that thread.

mtbr member
    This will be round #5 for me at Mohican. It's my favorite race course of all time. From the beginning stretch of 30 miles of singletrack to the rail trail of death it's an amazing course. All of it is good and there really aren't any super techy bits or long grueling climbs. There are some super steep gravel roads but they are VERY short. The climb out of aid station 3 is probably the worst as it's steep and on singletrack. Again it's short and just amazing. My first attempt was 10:39 and my most recent race was 7:33. With weather prevailing I hope it goes just as smoothly as last year and maybe a bit quicker. Time will tell. If you're on the fence about this one...do it!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by white79bu View Post
    Started training Monday. This will be my first 100. I am signed up for the 100k but planning on the 100 mile at this point. I am going off Chris Eatough Mohican 100 plan.
    You may want to contact the promotor about what that will cost to do later. They'll let you switch to the shorter distance; maybe you can just pay the difference to race the longer distance--and that'll keep going up until race day.

mtbr member
    This will be my 1st 100 miler! I'm excited as heck!! started Eatough (for the Shenendoah 100) a couple of weeks ago, got super sick with H1N1 and now have to start over.. glad i started early!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm in. It will be my first time doing the race. Normally I just go down to crew for my wife(3rd female in the 62 last year). This time I decided to dive in. Rode the state forest 5-6 time so far this year in the snow, can't wait to have some warm weather and dry trails. Still cold from Barry Roubaix last weekend.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What is everybody riding? I have a 26" full suspension bike at the moment. But I am looking at a 29er. I have thought about buying a 29er full suspension but a hardtail is in the back of my mind and keep the 26". I have a touchy lower back, but I think the hardtail would help me climb better and I need the help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Me-29 Ht Orbea Alma, 1x10.
    Wife- 29 Ht Felt f30, 2x10

My buddy did it on a 26 full suspension bike last year, and just picked up a 29 ht, and said he is faster on the 29er.

mtbr member
    Niner emd.. I'm going to put a different (more of a rise) stem on it. I have it set up for mostly short XC races meow. It's a bit too much. Hubby is on a Trek Elite Carbon. It's easily the most amazing bike I've ever tried. I better start saving!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My only concern is the HT and my lower back. I have been working on strengthing my core so hopefully it will help. You can buy alot more bike with a HT for the money.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm riding my 2012 Cannondale Flash 29'er Carbon 1. I'm doing the 100k, my first go at this type of distance but am used to racing up to 30 miles. I just got my HT last year, moved from a 26" Cannondale RzOneTwenty Full Suspension to my 29'er and never looked back. I love the bike and a 29'er for me makes a big difference. I'm 5'11, I hear sometimes for people that are shorter a 29'er might not be the way to go.

Keep training all, June will be here soon enough! Another fun race after Mohican 100 is the Big Bear 2x12 in WV! Doing them both!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OHtard View Post
    I'm in. It will be my first time doing the race. Normally I just go down to crew for my wife(3rd female in the 62 last year). This time I decided to dive in. Rode the state forest 5-6 time so far this year in the snow, can't wait to have some warm weather and dry trails. Still cold from Barry Roubaix last weekend.
    You deserve a medal for doing B-R. I was there, drove the course on Friday and decided that I was not ready to risk it. It was a bit easier when it froze, but i stuck to my decision. So are you doing the 100 or the 62 at Mohician? I'm in for the 62.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My only concern is the HT and my lower back. I have been working on strengthing my core so hopefully it will help. You can buy alot more bike with a HT for the money.
    if you look at the videos on You Tube for the Mohician, most everyone rides a hard tail. I would prefer a FS, but I could get a lot better HT for the money and ended up with a hard tail. I think you will be fine on whatever you choose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohiorick View Post
    You deserve a medal for doing B-R. I was there, drove the course on Friday and decided that I was not ready to risk it. It was a bit easier when it froze, but i stuck to my decision. So are you doing the 100 or the 62 at Mohician? I'm in for the 62.
    I'm in for the 62, thought your name looked familiar, saw your thread on br at rbr. The course for BR was actually easier than I thought it would be. Frozen solid, and no gravel. The training rides I did around here seemed quite a bit worse.
    If anyone is in the area, I plan onn doing a couple training rides around Mohican in the spring. Have the gpx file, just gotta figure out route arounds for the private land.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OHtard View Post
    I'm in for the 62, thought your name looked familiar, saw your thread on br at rbr. The course for BR was actually easier than I thought it would be. Frozen solid, and no gravel. The training rides I did around here seemed quite a bit worse.
    If anyone is in the area, I plan onn doing a couple training rides around Mohican in the spring. Have the gpx file, just gotta figure out route arounds for the private land.
    Let me know when you plan to do a training ride, I'll met up with you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohiorick View Post
    Let me know when you plan to do a training ride, I'll met up with you.
    dibs on in with the training rides!!

Dirty South Underdog
    I end up sitting a lot more without moving when I ride a FS, so my back ends up hurting much more on it than when I ride a hardtail, where I tend to stand and move around a lot more.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Re: Mohican 100

Heading there Saturday for a ride. If the trails are too messy we will hit some of the back roads that are part of the course.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What time are you guys going? I thought about going up but I know last week was a mess. I need to get in a good 3 hour ride.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast