mtbr member

Mexicans to breck epic

we are a group of mexicans riders that had ridden la ruta de los conquistadores on costa rica and el reto del quetzal on guatemala

this year we have decide to race brickepic on colorado

we have never ride on the states

what we should expect (toughness, technical, weather, gear etc)

any comment will be deeply appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have done the breck epic in 2012 3 day and 2013 6day (returned to get the belt buckle) traveled from Ireland to do. It's an awesome event.

Expect climbing a lot of climbing, expect very little oxygen if your from sea level like me. The stage profiles range from 9500 to 12600ft each day is approx 40 miles. You can get rained on in the men's so be prepared as when it does the temps plumet. (Stage 2 in 2012 was horrific )

It's not really technical but good handling skills required. Be as physically prepared as you can be. For me in ireland we just don't have the length and duration of the climbs you'll encounter. I had a crash during a nationals xc event prior and it knocked my preparations for a number of weeks and this took its toll on me during the breck as wasn't as in shape as I needed to be

You'll meet great people , drink good beers and have an awesome experience and have years of bragging rights following. Have a blast

mtbr member
    I'll second what Mark said.

Expect lonnnng (but manageable) climbs along with HUGE downhill payoffs. There's very little technical terrain, but the altitude can be a challenge for those unable to throttle back a bit.

And the race itself? I may be biased, but it's fun as HELL. The promoter and crew are pretty dedicated to making sure you feel valued as a rider and that you have a blast while in their care.

Mike
    Support Open Space!