Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mendocino 100 - Ft. Bragg, CA - July 21st, 2013 - Hero dirt forever!

10K views 50 replies 18 participants last post by  Tyrone Shoelaces 
#1 ·
Colorfulness Text Font Magenta Graphic design

A 100 or 62 (metric) mile event that is almost 100% non-repeating hero-dirt singletrack. A short fire-road section at the start to get the field sorted out and then it's all singletrack, all the way. One big loop, for nearly 100 miles, not laps... (Note: a few short fire road or pave sections to connect singletrack and we will have the aid stations on these so you'll want them)

...is that something you'd be interested in?

All of it rideable - no hiking. While the rest of the state is ball-bursting hot come ride in the Mendocino Redwoods where it'll be a sunny 72 degrees with a 5 mph offshore breeze!

Camp in a grove of giant redwoods and get your fill of great food and local craft beer... all you have to do is get there!

Details are getting firmed up now, check back for updates soon!

See less See more
#10 ·
Hi! We're going to have open camping just off of Hyw 1 at Odom Lane in Ft. Bragg. It's included in the entry. Were working on finalizing the 62 mile and 100 mie routes as soon as possible too. We're down to sorting the bits in order to ensure that there are passing areas and getting the aid station / checkpoints at appropriate distances on course. In the next two to three weeks you'll start to see sections of the route posted.

We shot a short promo video to give you a taste of the area singletrack and we'll post that up as soon as we can get it titles. Check back here next week!

#18 ·
Got the "GO" from CalFire today on the route. That's big news.

Pre-riding the 100k (62 mile) version tomorrow. Codename: PRIME-CUTS. Join if you want to. Rolling ~9am-10am. PM me for details.

Also, scouting to see how to construct a 30 mile or 40 mile "Express Route" for the event too.

#19 ·
Hey, guys. Thanks so much for all the hard work I/we know you all have put into this already and for hosting the event. Definitely. With the event less than a month out, however, it would be really best to have a profile up as well as food/water support stops along the way. When can expect this? Any/all race information via email, too? Again, I understand the logistics are challenging and thanks.

#20 ·
With the event less than a month out, however, it would be really best to have a profile up as well as food/water support stops along the way. When can expect this?
Agreed! Seeing the map & course elevation profile, along with markings for where each aid station is going to be will be nice. I have some friends who are on the fence about registering, but when they look at the website, they can't tell what they are getting themselves into so are waiting....they are trying to decide between this and the High Cascade 100 which is the same weekend.

#22 ·
That concept works for many adventurous spirits, especially those in it soley for the challenge; however, there are many others (like Mr. Shoelaces) who are not looking at it just to have fun, but are in it to win it or at least race the full 100. Knowing where aid stations are and seeing the elevation profile really helps in planning your race; knowing when you can hammer a section because you know it is mostly rollers, or hammering a climb because you know it is less than a mile and there is a downhill coming, or settling in on a climb because you know it is going to go on for a couple miles etc. Also, knowing that you can go with just bottles between aid stations is key. I personally do fine with iodine, but that does not work for everyone, and if you are 'racing' you don't want to stop for iodine or pumping water (unless it is clear ahead of time it is that kind of event).

I am in the same boat. I am considering this event as well as a few others. Economics is only going to allow me to do another couple events this year, and I know the extreme beauty of the area having lived for many years in Humboldt county, but I too would like to see the elevation profile (vert. gain) and well placed support stops along the way. It looks like it might be headed in that direction shortly. I have put on a XC race before and that was a lot of work and required many volunteers, so I can only imagine what is involved here. Regardless, I am glad the area has an event like this coming, I am sure it will continue to get bigger and better.

#24 ·
Hard tail country, yeah?

This looks fun. I'll keep a watch here for the course's elevation gain and aid station details. Thanks for organizing this. Once the details are set, I forward out the information to others.

View attachment 767380

A 100 or 62 (metric) mile event that is almost 100% non-repeating hero-dirt singletrack. A short fire-road section at the start to get the field sorted out and then it's all singletrack, all the way. One big loop, for nearly 100 miles, not laps... (Note: a few short fire road or pave sections to connect singletrack and we will have the aid stations on these so you'll want them)

...is that something you'd be interested in?

All of it rideable - no hiking. While the rest of the state is ball-bursting hot come ride in the Mendocino Redwoods where it'll be a sunny 72 degrees with a 5 mph offshore breeze!

Camp in a grove of giant redwoods and get your fill of great food and local craft beer... all you have to do is get there!

Details are getting firmed up now, check back for updates soon!

#25 ·
This is the pre-ride of what we thought was the 62 mile loop:

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Mendocino 100K test run near Caspar | Times and Records | Strava

Next week you'll see the 100 mile and a revised 100k GPS track.

The 62 mile loop will have ~8,000 ft of climbing. A lot of it is somewhat rolling so it's less intense than you would think.

The 100 mile loop will be between 12,000 and 13,000 ft of vertical gain. 90% is in the shade of the redwood trees so clear or yellow lens are the order of the day.

As it looks now you'll pass five or six aid stations on the 100 mile route and four on the 100k route.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.