Thread: Mdh 100

mtbr member

Mdh 100

I haven't seen any info on this so here's the thread for the 2013 Maah Daah Hey 100.

Anyone else doing this?
    Anyone else ever ridden this?
    Anyone have a clue what the climbing/trail conditions are like?

All I know is it's a 100 mile P2P that is remote and apparently amazing. There aren't a lot of events in this format and previous to the "race" the only way to do this was bike packing (fine in itself but a vastly different experience). It includes a shuttle back to the start and it's only $50!!!! That's incredibly cheap!

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Man I wish I could make it out there for this one but I'm already heading to CO for a DH trip.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm doing it on a fattie. I've camped out there a half dozen times and have scoped out the trail, but have never gotten around to riding it despite living in ND. Great opportunity to ride the trail- the support is incredible and worth the registration price alone!

Elevation profiles:
    http://2pedal.com/sites/default/file.../elevation.jpg

Trail conditions? Anywhere from great to hike-a-bike is what I hear. lots of slumping and other traffic have made some sections a pain. I know they have a volunteer crew that has been riding the trail finding trouble spots and fixing them when possible.

Harrumph
    I did the solo last year, and am signed up for the same again this year. It was partly cloudy and 55-78 degrees, that is as kind as the weather gets that time of year.....And finishing nearly killed me!

The chances it's cloudless and 100+ are pretty good, so I'm re thinking things for this year.

It's a tough balance between going fast enough to limit exposure / time between aid/checkpoints and bonking with very limited chance at a bailout.

For some stoke check out the images from Chad Ziemendorf

And another gallery from Chad

And a few much less awesome images from my own camera:

Mdh 100-mdh-1.jpgMdh 100-mdh2.jpgMdh 100-mdh3.jpgMdh 100-mdh4.jpgMdh 100-mdh5.jpg
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I won't make it this year, but possibly next year. What is the preferred bike choice HT or FS?

mtbr member
    Wow...look awesome.

MDH is on my list of places to go, but I didn;t know about this.

Gonna see if I can put road trip togeher!

mtbr member
    Dang! Those photos are seriously fueling the stoke! Good thing I looked too - I didn't even think I might need a light for the start!

Looks fantastic out there and the 12,000+ elevation profile looks like a ...hmmm, fun time.

Honestly I'm probably more worried about wind and potential storms out there than anything. That route looks exposed. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and bless us with another amazing year.

Harrumph
    Not wanting. or able to hotlink, the original Photographer's photo from prepping for 2012:
    Prepping #2 in the morning

Myself and a "Test Rider" friend will be riding frame #6 and 7 for Boxer cycles in the 2013 MDH 100. The grouchy guy on the Red=#6 is me, Greg. The nice guy on the blue #7 is Dave.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Well, weather forecasts from both our American/European models look hot and with a headwind (but not too strong). How hot- time will tell- models have varied between 85-95F or so over the last few runs. I'll give an update Monday based on this weekends' model runs.

Harrumph
    Last I looked there was a possibility of storms every afternoon this week. But now it looks like there might be some precip right now (tues morning) and totally dry for the week.

Still looking like a high in the 90s though.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yep. Hot and dry for the race. Models have been extremely consistent. Still looks like a high of ~95 F or so on raceday. 10kt headwind out of the S/SSE