mtbr member
    Nov 2006

marathon extreme vs marathon dureme for DK

Any recommendations of one over the other? The schwalbe marathon extreme and dureme look to have similar construction w/ the main difference appearing to be tread pattern. I am most worried about sidewall cuts, and flats in general, for the Dirty Kanza and it looks like these tires fit the bill. Any thoughts of one over the other from more experienced gravel racers would be appreciated.
    I posted in the endurance newsgroup on RBR but it looks like they don't get as much action as here. Thanks.

JD1
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Don't know if you've ever ridden the flint hills before, but the rocks can be the size of your fist or they can be small, like a regular gravel road. I would recommend a tire that has a little more rubber between the rock and the tube.

I like Schwalbe's Marathon Plus. You're not going to experience many situations where an aggressive tread pattern is required, but there may be some muddy/slippery section where a little tread is good. Just don't opt for a tire that has a lot of space between the tread blocks. Sidewall cuts are bad, sure, but the flint in the flinthills has a knive edge (that's why the plains indians used them for arrowheads) that'll easily find it's way between the blocks.

I hope that helps you decide. Either way, good luck. The flinthills are beautiful, but can be merciless

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Tires are a crapshoot. I used Nanoraptors in 2008 and had two flats the entire race. I used Marathon Extremes in 2009 and had a sidewall cut and four flats. I used the Marathon Extreme's last year and had no flats at all. I had no issues with the tread pattern on the Marathon Extreme's being too aggressive. I had over 2500 miles on my first set and all I did was move the front tire to the back and put a new front tire on. I kept the old rear as a spare. Plenty of tread left in the middle blocks, but the sipes are worn off.

mtbr member
    Anyone have any success mounting the various Schwalbe tires tubeless? If so, did you find any particular pressures that worked better/worse, and what rims where you using?

smd
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge
    Anyone have any success mounting the various Schwalbe tires tubeless? If so, did you find any particular pressures that worked better/worse, and what rims where you using?
    My pal Fuzz did it with Stan's Crest & Marathon Cross last year without issue at 50# (max rating on those rims). Both of us used Marathon Cross ('cause they're half the price of Marathon Extremes) and put a new set on a couple hundred miles before the DK. I rode tubed and liked it just fine.
    Last edited by smd; 02-05-2011 at 10:55 AM. Reason: pressure correction