mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Lutsen 99er training recommendations

Hey everyone. Looking into the Lutsen 99er this year and wondering for those that may have ridden it. What would you recommend for training? I'm working on the nutritional part of it right now. I have a fat bike so have been trying to keep my base from last racing season. I've done a few "epic" type races and centuries but nothing like this yet.

Thanks
    Andy

nOOb
    May 2008
    It's a long ride, but there are more than enough rest opportunities. I didn't have to carry a Camelback and got by with 2 bottles and just refilled them at stops. I think my time was just over 7 hours and my Garmin showed over 7,100 feet of elevation gain, so it's not that bad really.
    I gradually ramp up the mileage and intensity until I'm riding about 80% of the expected race finish time 2 weeks before, then I taper down my training until the event. The week before is basically easy riding and rest, I like to go into the event chomping at the bit with fresh legs.
    I carb load the night before, eat a normal breakfast, and hydrate more than normal starting a day or two before.
    I carry a bottle of Hammer Perpetuem mixed to last me the entire race, and for food I drink water and carry a gel flask and eat light cereal or energy bars. I can't stomach pb&j sandwiches like some can.
    Don't try anything new during the race, I grabbed and ate something I shouldn't have and suffered for a couple hours because of it.
    I also train mostly on the road doing as many hills as I can find, riding mountain bike that far everyday would kill my lower back and wrists.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm doing it too. First time I'll have ridden anything over 50 miles in one shot. Should be a hoot. LOL A small group of us are doing it so the moral support will be huge. One epic long ride. Go for the win next year right?

I've begun a weekly crossfit class with an endurance spin on it and supplementing with additional weight training at home....and the dreaded fake bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm right there with nOOky on the training and the tapering down 100 milers are harder for me that a 24 hour solo,I have done about 5 100 mile races and my times always suck but I have fun,it's just at this time of the year I have been on skate skiing and that hasn't been all that much this year I hurt my left shoulder a few years ago at Wausau so I'm going into the gym and using the bike there. Also when I ride my road bike I am putting to much weight on my shoulder and it starts to hurt,I have been thru so much rehab with it and the pain keeps coming back and I could have payed for a few new bikes.

Blitz,I live near this race last year I did a 100 miler in WI on the same date & I remember lots of rain in that race. Any how this year I'm going to do this one.I am going to get last years rout map of the race and go ride it 3 to 4 times before the race, if you're near there you could try doing most of it on your fat bike. when we get into the 40s (temps) and the snow is gone and if anyone wants to meet there PM me and maybe we could get a few rides in before the race.
    Dean

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm also a newbie for the 100er's. I'm doing Lutsen and a couple others this year. I live in the cities and would like to hook up with some folks for training rides so this race doesn't turn into high point of my eulogy.

I tend to fall in with idinomac's view of pre ride the course's as much as possible.

Eat right, train hard, good luck!

nOOb
    May 2008
    The course really isn't technical, the only single track was the last 4 miles at the ski area. It is rough in places, enough so that I rode a full suspension 29er and will do so again. It was muddy last year, there was the flooding along the north shore right before.

I think I have the data let me see...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I did the 99er last year. Because of the huge storm the week before, the course was changed up at the last minute.
    There was some discussion last year about doing the race on a cross bike. I would say that would be a huge mistake. I rode a FS and needed every bit of that suspension. In last years course the last 5 or so miles was the hardest. Mostly because it was deeply rutted, muddy and lots of exposed tree roots. The finish is pretty cool with all the spectators along the way.
    My advise is to get good base training for 12 weeks and then start interval training and tapper the last week. There is a pretty long climb in the beginning of the race and you just need to settle in to a good rhythm. Keep your eyes open for the course markers and don't just follow the lead of someone else. They could lead you off course. It happend to several people including me. Always look down and to your right at any intersections. The turns are not marked as well as you would think. Also, set a realistic goal for a finish time and shoot for that but keep in mind that if you flat or have other problems you will need to reevaluate that goal. Many people will fool themselves into thinking that they can still achieve the same goal and then proceed to burn themselves up trying to do it and then not even getting to the finish line.
    I have a tendency to cramp up late in the 100 mile events. I hydrate with electrolytes but sometimes that is not enough. I keep saltstick tablets in my jersey pocket and at the first twinge of a cramp I take 3-4 tablets every 15-30 minutes and it will bring me out of the cramp mode. I also use Goo packs. I know they don't work for everyone but for me they go down well (I like the vanilla ones) and the energy they provide is awesome. I duct tape them to my top tube so that when I grab one it tears the top off and it ready to go. Eat often it will make a huge difference. I like to grab some of the freebie food at about the 80 mile check point. By that time my stomach needs some real food. Good luck! It is a really fun event both during and after the race. One last piece of advice, make your hotel reservations early.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thomas O,did you race the MN24 last year. Also is there a place where I could sleep near the start in my van; I know I'll find out a little more about the area when the snow is gone and I can go ride over there it's only about a two hr drive for me.

I was racing the chequamegon 100 last year on the same weekend and it started to rain at about 10 miles into the race; mud,mud and more mud!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac View Post
    Thomas O,did you race the MN24 last year. Also is there a place where I could sleep near the start in my van; I know I'll find out a little more about the area when the snow is gone and I can go ride over there it's only about a two hr drive for me.

I was racing the chequamegon 100 last year on the same weekend and it started to rain at about 10 miles into the race; mud,mud and more mud!
    I'm not going to openly say that it is allowed but I can see plenty of parking in the area and I can't see that anyone would stop you. I'm not sure that I would set up a camp fire right outside the van though.
    We delt with alot of mud last year in this race also. I can't imagine that it could get any worse.
    Good luck! this is a really fun course and beautiful country.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thank-you Thomas, I would just be sleeping in the van and then get up and eat and then go racing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Any more riders signed up? I signed up not long ago. I'm in MN for the summer and it sounded like a great experience.

nOOb
    May 2008
    Myself and a couple of fellow riders are signed up and can't wait.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Follow Lutsen99er on Facebook for all the latest race updates.