mtbr member
    May 2007

Lumberjack Reports?

So how was it? Mighty quiet so far for a race that sold out in 11 minutes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I rode it for the first time last week. Drove 13 hours to get there. Friday on a pre-ride my less than 4 month old xrt 980 pedal broke a spindal 100 feet from the start. Lucky had spare set of eggbeaters in the car and new set of cleats.
    The race was dusty, wow dusty would really be an understatement. We were all black from head to toe.

First Lap was great and the trail was fun with lots of fast flowing sections, the climbs were not so bad.

Second lap started getting pretty sandy but still not to bad, the fast sections were fast, the cross country ski double track was getting deep and two of the climbs were really getting bad (in addition to the hike a bike at the fire tower).

The third lap was really hot, and really sandy. The double track was a grind and just no where you could avoid riding in the sand. The fast sections were still pretty great though. There were random deep spots in turns etc but not to bad. The two hills had become hike a bikes at this point due to the sand being so deep just wasnt worth the effort. One was 3/4 thru on the rolling stuff where you hit 3 rollers and the third was the big hill, the other was near the finish after the deep sand switch back to the left.

All in all it was a super fun course. Im no super star but I did have my best NUE race yet and still only finished mid pack. It was a well run event. I have never seen so many filthy people

mtbr member
    Race was awesome. It was my first 100 miler, so I don't have much to compare it to. It was hot, sandy, dusty and hilly. It was also my first time riding the Big M trail. It had some super fast flowy sections that were tons of fun. 32x18 on the SS was good enough 9:02. Here is my full race report of your interested:

Race Reports - TWIN SIX - Alternative Cycling Apparel
    Sometimes you eat the bar... and well, sometimes the bar eats you

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I should have my report up tomorrow. I'll post it then.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    And I think we were all wasted afterwards. I saw a lot of carnage on the trail.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I enjoyed the trails too much on the first lap and blew up a little on the second, brought it home a little better in the third

Filthy is an understatement, I was trying to clean it out of my eyes for hours afterwards.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    1. I finished.
    2. I didn't puke.

That's twice as good as I did at the last race.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This was my first time doing it and I LOVED IT. Only my 2nd 100mi event off road. I would definitely do it again. 10:12 finish time. Got very dirty, voice got raspy and eyes got red from it but that was ok. Love the multi-lap setup. My Mach 5 performed flawlessly and had no mechanicals...even gave up my spare tube to a guy who was stranded. I have nothing negative to say about the event or the day!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Overall, a fun race and experience with a lot of lessons learned. 34 x 18 ended being a great gear, though I wished for a 32 ring at points on the last lap. I went out fast on the pavement to avoid the pile up at the entrance to the single track and got in a good groove with some geared folks. Unfortunately I stuffed it hard when I caught my climbing grip on a rouge tree at 20+ mph somewhere around mile 10-15 ish, before the first aid. I was okay but lost my glasses (and, oh yea, all my momentum). I came through the first lap in 2:36.

Lap 2 was all right, but I struggled with some cramping, funny that it came on all the roads and fast single track sections. I was cramping in my hamstrings during extending periods of spinning, so much so that I was psyched to see a steep grunt to "relax" my legs. Also, I got a bit sucked in by my computer rather than racing, I was more concerned with what my average speed was or the time than just riding and focusing. Lap 2 was slower, as expected, in 2:52.

I turned off my computer at the start of lap 3, turns out looking down at a number doesn't make you go faster... information was not the limiting factor! Lap 3 was the most fun and felt the best. I rode clean and focused on being efficient, I didn't have a computer to look at and just rode as hard and smooth as I could. It was the slowest lap, 3:02, but was less of a loss than the lap 1 to 2 differential. 8:30 and 14th overall, good enough for my first 100 and first race over 50 miles. My longest training ride coming in was 50 miles and I definitely did not have the endurance base needed to go much faster than I did, it was painfully obvious through most of lap 2 how much training it takes to hang at the front.

Course was fun, race was well organized, and I made it my wedding a week later an hour to the north. I don't know if I'll make the drive from Idaho for it next year, but if I was within 12 hours I would for sure!