Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lumberjack 100

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Lumberjack 100

Never done this one. Thinking I may try to get in. I have read all I could find here about the race. Looking for any pointers or tips for a first timer at this event. Are you able to set up a pit area to stop at on each lap to re fuel and make any repairs? Are you able to have a E Z up and pit "crew" /wife help with refilling bottles and such? Cell phone coverage in the area? We have AT&T. Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Get there early to set up an EZ up. The tents will be a couple deep along the finish/lap stretch. They have one stop on the course where volunteers will fill u up. Not sure about cell service. Fun race with great support.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    No cell coverage in the race area, you have to drive back out along the highway. Can't remember the name of it but there was a diner on an intersection east of the race I had AT&T coverage at last year.

As above, plenty of space to set up your pit area, if you're worried about a good spot do it as early as you can the day before the race.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Having never been to this race, thanks for all the tips. I would like more info on how the setup of the pit area goes. Can you drive to this area, or do you need to walk and carry your EZ up and gear to this area? Is it "safe" to leave your stuff there overnight? What is considered :early" for set up in this area? ( Friday morning? or early Friday like 2:00 am? ) How far is it from the pit area to where you can park your vehicle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You can't park your car right at the pits but you can get your car close enough to drop all your stuff then go park your car. I have always gotten there Friday afternoon, and gotten a good enough spot but then again every year people seem to be getting there earlier and earlier, so if you can get there at some point in the morning Friday you should be fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Friday morning or afternoon would be fine. The pits are 150 feet from the closest part of the parking lot. Chances are you will drop you stuff off and go find a parking spot.

There is a fairly large number of people each year that go just to finish. They think they need to be in the front during the start. Work really hard to be near the front if you are fast. I ended up with a 8 hour time and was mixed in with 10 hour people. It made for a lot of extra work in the first lap.

Good luck and have fun the atmosphere is a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Bring lots of bug spray....lots !

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    registration tomorrow at noon. Bikereg.com
    Last edited by Ohiorick; 03-15-2013 at 09:08 PM.

mtbr member
    So who's in? I signed up. It'll be my first time for this race. I'm pretty stoked for it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd122 View Post
    So who's in? I signed up. It'll be my first time for this race. I'm pretty stoked for it.
    I'm in. This will be my first time too. Looking forward to it. Now comes the trial and error of finding the correct way to take in the needed calories and finishing strong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohiorick View Post
    I'm in. This will be my first time too. Looking forward to it. Now comes the trial and error of finding the correct way to take in the needed calories and finishing strong.
    I am in! This will be my 3rd year and last year I went with Infinit for my fueling and I was really happy with it. One bottle an hour and that's it. It takes care of your calories and your hydration. It tastes good too.
    "I ain't right!"
    Fatback 190
    Stumpy Marathon
    El Mariachi SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kovickc View Post
    I am in! This will be my 3rd year and last year I went with Infinit for my fueling and I was really happy with it. One bottle an hour and that's it. It takes care of your calories and your hydration. It tastes good too.
    I bought some Hammer products today to test out and see how they taste. How do you use Infinit at one bottle an hour? Do you carry 3 bottles with you, plus some water?

mtbr member
    I bought some Hammer products today to test out and see how they taste. How do you use Infinit at one bottle an hour? Do you carry 3 bottles with you, plus some water?
    Hammer stuff works good too! I switched because the ease of use with one bottle for all my needs vs gels, pills, mixing bottles, etc.
    The race is 3 laps and there is an aid station about mile 17 that you can refill at. It only takes a moment and you are on your way. I carry 2 bottles and a baggie with mix in it. If it was really hot I may carry a third with just water to be sure I did not run out. So you have your pit and the aid station to refill per 33 mile lap.

The key is to find out what works for you well before the race and stick to your plan. I am not fast by any means. First year it took me 11.5 hours and last year 9:46, both SS rigid. This year I am going geared with a squishy fork and hoping to go sub 9.
    "I ain't right!"
    Fatback 190
    Stumpy Marathon
    El Mariachi SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hammer stuff works good too! I switched because the ease of use with one bottle for all my needs vs gels, pills, mixing bottles, etc.
    The race is 3 laps and there is an aid station about mile 17 that you can refill at. It only takes a moment and you are on your way. I carry 2 bottles and a baggie with mix in it. If it was really hot I may carry a third with just water to be sure I did not run out. So you have your pit and the aid station to refill per 33 mile lap.
    Just checked out Infinit's web site. May be worth a test. What mix did you find works for you? Looks like they have a basic one for a 100 MTB race.

mtbr member
    Just checked out Infinit's web site. May be worth a test. What mix did you find works for you? Looks like they have a basic one for a 100 MTB race.
    I used the 100 MTB formula in Orange. I have tried a lemon/lime, but I like orange for all day taste. I now have a variation of the 100 formula that was tweaked a little. If you set up a consultation they can adjust the formula for you for a few dollars more. More/less flavor, electrolytes, etc.

With the formulas that have protein it is recommended to run a "flush" bottle every few hours to help prevent stomach issues during long events. Flush bottle is a bottle without protein. So for myself I have 2 mixes with the same calorie count one with and one without protein.

Some people don't like any protein, but I find it helps me and I do not get really hungry during the race.
    "I ain't right!"
    Fatback 190
    Stumpy Marathon
    El Mariachi SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I used the 100 MTB formula in Orange. I have tried a lemon/lime, but I like orange for all day taste. I now have a variation of the 100 formula that was tweaked a little. If you set up a consultation they can adjust the formula for you for a few dollars more. More/less flavor, electrolytes, etc.
    I am not a big fan of lemon /lime or orange. I sent them a message to see if I could get any other flavor. Having never done a 100 mile MTB race, I am sure having enough calories is going to be the biggest issue. Looks like I will have some testing to do in the coming months. I have done 100 mile road rides, and have not had any problems with fueling up at the stops with whatever was there, but this is a bit more intense and will have to be worked out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    hmm weird, its still open. Last year it closed in about 14 minutes. Its been open for 11 hours and there are still spots open. Looks like maybe the 100 mile mtb thing is fading? who knows. Maybe its just the charm of lumberjack?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Anyone know where I can find a GPS map for the course? I can't find one anywhere.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Here is mine from 2 years ago.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/96313578

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by asmallsol View Post
    hmm weird, its still open. Last year it closed in about 14 minutes. Its been open for 11 hours and there are still spots open. Looks like maybe the 100 mile mtb thing is fading? who knows. Maybe its just the charm of lumberjack?

I wonder if it is weather related. Last year the weather was so mild all winter leading up to registration that I think a lot of people had been riding hard and were excited to sign up for races.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by asmallsol View Post
    Thanks. I am hoping to get a chance to pre ride the course before the race. I am in Ohio and its a 6 hour drive, so I may not get to do that until a day or two before the race. Hope I don't get lost.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    I wonder if it is weather related. Last year the weather was so mild all winter leading up to registration that I think a lot of people had been riding hard and were excited to sign up for races.
    Or maybe people didn't like all the extra loose sand on the course last year from lack of winter snow and spring rain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Who's in for this one? I plan to be there and give it a try.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Who's in for this one? I plan to be there and give it a try.
    I am in. I have my fingers crossed as the weather is looking good with a high of 70. If I can keep my stomach from going south during the race all should be good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I had fun doing it last year, will be there again next weekend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast