mtbr member

LT100 Age groups

Does LT100 use real age or USAC style "racing" age to determine categories? Same for the qualifying races??
    Thanks

mtbr member
    136 views and no one knows how the LT100 does age groups?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, but I do not need to know how the break up age groups but instead need to know if actual age at race time or the age at 12/31 like USAC does for its racing age designation

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sorry, misunderstood.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I'm curious about this as well. I've been racing usac events this year as a 49 year old (turn 49 in november). Looking forward to racing as 50 starting in january, but wondering if the LT100 qualifiers would categorize me as 49 or 50. I'm assuming 49 (age on race day), but really hoping for 50 like usac. I don't think I have a shot qualifying on time in the 40-49 age group, but qualifying as a 50 year old might be possible. Just wondering if that is 2018 or 2019 for Leadville qualifier events.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Qualifying based on age is generally pretty difficult, but if you do a qualifier and wait around at the end you have a really good chance to get a slot, since they just raffle them off.

I believe Leadville uses your end of year age for categories. I was in the 30s class as a 29 year old if I remember correctly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blutow View Post
    I'm curious about this as well. I've been racing usac events this year as a 49 year old (turn 49 in november). Looking forward to racing as 50 starting in january, but wondering if the LT100 qualifiers would categorize me as 49 or 50. I'm assuming 49 (age on race day), but really hoping for 50 like usac. I don't think I have a shot qualifying on time in the 40-49 age group, but qualifying as a 50 year old might be possible. Just wondering if that is 2018 or 2019 for Leadville qualifier events.
    I turn 50 in December of next year so USA can will grade me as a 50 year old as of January. I'm wondering if the TX qualifier will put me in 40-49 or 50-59. I'm not slower just older but I'll take a field of guys older then me rather than a pack of rabid 40's

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    I turn 50 in December of next year so USA can will grade me as a 50 year old as of January. I'm wondering if the TX qualifier will put me in 40-49 or 50-59. I'm not slower just older but I'll take a field of guys older then me rather than a pack of rabid 40's
    Lance Armstrong raced the Rattler in the 40-49 group last year. If he shows up again I'll have to settle for second. Second to last.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Lance Armstrong raced the Rattler in the 40-49 group last year. If he shows up again I'll have to settle for second. Second to last.
    He was there and ended up 3rd in the 40-49 group and 8th overall. Probably with minimal fitness from his perspective. That 40-49 age group had a bunch of seriously fast guys.

Sounds like I might be fighting it out in the 50-59 group with sbsbiker next year. It's still a long, long shot to qualify on time in that group, but I can at least wrap my head around those finishing times.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    He was there and ended up 3rd in the 40-49 group and 8th overall. Probably with minimal fitness from his perspective. That 40-49 age group had a bunch of seriously fast guys.

Sounds like I might be fighting it out in the 50-59 group with sbsbiker next year. It's still a long, long shot to qualify on time in that group, but I can at least wrap my head around those finishing times.
    I missed last year but was looking at the splits, I was wondering if he had a mechanical on the 3rd lap. He was in the mix and his 3rd lap was way off pace.

mtbr member

I'm still waiting for the LT100 to confirm that my 50 "Racing age" will be used instead of my actual age.

mtbr member
    Just heard back from LT100, they use actual age at race day, so I will be 49, and racing against 40 year olds. No thanks.