Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Looking for a saddle for endurance as well as saving some weight.

I could use some help on a saddle I have the stock fizik saddle that came on my giant advanced anthem 2013. Its just ok, not comfortable at all for endurance. I used to have a specialized saddle that was awesome and had very little cushion. (but I wont support specialized anymore, personal reasons) so I get high end bibs that have great padding. So I want light weight and comfort. I do a lot of xc racing plus long distance stuff. thanks

Now, THAT'S gonna hurt!
    I love my Kontact Saddle. No more perineal pressure or pain and it's like it isn't there when you're pedaling due to it's shape and skinny nose. Great 30 day money back guarantee if it doesn't work for you.

Kontact Bicycle Saddle - Black - Kontact Bike

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Try Bontrager Evoke RXL carbon saddle. It was a wide, flat perch that is very comfortable for Endurance events. Weighs only 152g:

Looking for a saddle for endurance as well as saving some weight.-rxxxl2.jpg
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The Romin pro. 150 grams and comfortable as hell.

Specialized Bicycle Components
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Big Deal

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ergon SM3- the best/most comfortable saddle I've used.

e

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Find an LBS that demos saddles. You leave a small deposit and get to try numerous different saddles, they might even measure your ass for you. 😬

You down with entropy?
    I personally like Selle SMP
    I have used these for 4 years now, several hundos and all the training for those.
    They have a wide variety of widths, many now have carbon rail options too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    For starters get your ass measured. I had bikes that came with 135mm saddles and I always thought that was the size I needed but Then I started having problems real bad ones black & purple a$$ and I had to drop out of a race I was doing good in. I went to a shop and got measured and found out that I'm a 143mm. I also use a bib that the padding comes down more covering more of the area where my inner leg comes up and makes an ass of them self's )))

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    Ergon SM3 all the way!

I used to use Fizik saddles and thought I had found my match, yet still dealt with numbness in the nethers on long rides. When I switched to the Ergon SM3 the difference was night and day. I didn't know what a good saddle was until using the Ergon! The wide and flat rear section acts as a perfect perch for your sit bones. It is also a very versatile saddle. I find myself using at least three areas on the saddle, all comfortable. The nose is long and still shaped well to give you enough support when climbing something fierce. I also like that they offer different sizes and their saddle selector online. I would've traditionally gone with a Large size, but after getting measured I fit better on the Small, and it's a perfect fit.

I've done many endurance and ultra-endurance races, and never have a sore bottom, not once.

Your Best Friend
    Another +1 for the Ergon SM3.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Has anyone tried SQ LABS?

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by demondan View Post
    They look interesting.

I currently ride Spech Romin's on all 4 bikes but might try the SM3 out.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I use the Fizik Ares. It is designed after the Antares but they chopped 30 mm off the nose to make it UCI compliant in TT races. I like that, as it hangs up on my bibs less when starting to pedal and getting back up on the saddle. I hate it when the nose of the saddle catches the back of my bibs. It weighs 164 grams on my scale and I bought it on chainlove for 75$ It has not yet seen an 8 hour ride and of course with saddles more than anything else, ymmv.

mtbr member
    i use sq labs work great but break on a very silly fall

then I puted on a fizik arzione with it I had finished La Ruta on costa rica el reto del quetzal on guatemala (4 days) and two full seasons of the local marathon championship (10 races of 100 kms) I love it and still good as new

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by el_novato View Post
    i use sq labs work great but break on a very silly fall

then I puted on a fizik arzione with it I had finished La Ruta on costa rica el reto del quetzal on guatemala (4 days) and two full seasons of the local marathon championship (10 races of 100 kms) I love it and still good as new
    Seems like you've had better luck than me. I use the Arione also because its the most comfortable saddle ever, but I've broken two of them, they snap right through the middle of the shell. I've also broken an Antares in the same spot. I keep buying them though because they're so comfortable, the flex of the shell makes it feel like I've got ~1/4 of suspension on my hardtail. I also like how the saddle gently gets wider, there's not a "shoulder" going from the nose to the rear of the saddle. It makes it easier to get behind the saddle when you need to get your weight back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What model SQ Labs did you break?

mtbr member
    I have heard good things about the Specialized Romin. Thinking about trying one.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I like Fizik saddles but I break them. I broke a Fizik Aliante 75% of the way through the a 100 mile race last year. Luckily the awesome volunteer fixed it by clamping on the break spot. It worked and I finished.

Happy Trails

Looking for a saddle for endurance as well as saving some weight.

Is your saddle a Tundra? I thought the Tundra on my C'dale was the most uncomfortable saddle ever. I swapped it for a ProLogo Nago and ended up buying two more for my other bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I use the same type of saddle I've always used (it just fits). the 1990 Flite. use it on road and MTB. Just over 230 grams. But I can be on it for an entire day and I'm fine. Little sore, but would be sitting on anything that long.
    If you can be blissfully ignorant to the notion that something is impossible, then you might surprise yourself. -- Andrea138

mtbr member
    San Marco Rolls.... Get yourself one and you'll never have saddle issues again..

Fat & Single
    Just ordered myself a Ergon SM3, will see how it goes for 6hr+ rides, someone says to me "if you ride a bike for 6-9hrs you can expect a tender ass", while the Spech romins i have just swapped over to are really good for under 6 hrs, im still open to try others.

Will see how the Ergon goes.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by demondan View Post
    I'll be trying one out in the next few weeks. They have instructions on how to do the butt-o-meter measurement at home; one must know this to order the correct width saddle. They do have a bewildering array of saddles, but I may call them when it is time to narrow it down to one or two.

Fat & Single
    I have 2 x 3h rides in on the new Ergon, feels a bit spongey but no sit bone pain yet. The Romin Pro i took off is the same though.... need to crack a 6h ride out before drawing conclusions.

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Cheesiest
    I wanted to like the SM3, but the squared off corners rubbed my thighs. Thankfully there are many options
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast