mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Leadville Silver Rush 50 questions

I have a few questions regarding the Silver Rush 50 in July. I am mostly a runner and would like to finish this race somewhere near the middle of the pack. I run 25-30 miles a week in the Denver area. I consider my self a mediocre mountain biker, most of my riding is xc on fire roads and some single track.

-How should I train for this race to finish with a decent time?
    -Has the race ever sold out out?
    -Will a 26" aluminum HT with an older SID fork and disc brakes work?
    -If most of my training is running how will that disadvantage me?

Gracias,
    Timoteo

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The race doesn't sell out normally. Train on climbs like Bergen or Falcon. Your bike will be sufficient. Just riding more miles will get you through the event. There is hike a bike which your running background will help. Shoot for 6 hrs total and be ready for the last climb out of the last aid station.

Twin Six METAL Team
    FerrouSS hit the nail on the head! Keep running for sure. It'll definitely help you with the hiking....especially the hike after the second aid station. That one sucked, for me anyway. It was pretty steep. Fun to ride down, not so much fun to walk. Other than that, keep riding and be sure to add some climbing in there.

Your bike will be just fine. I rode a Niner RIP 9 (full suspension) in the race last year, and it was way too much for an event like that. This year, I'll be on a Niner Air 9 RDO (hard tail). Much lighter and faster, with a wee bit of compliance.

My advice as well, carry a seat bag with a spare tube, CO2, multi-tool, PowerLink, etc. Seems like a no-brainer, but I passed 2-3 people last year that brought nothing and were stuck. I was able to give one my PowerLink, but couldn't help the others. You don't need to go over the top, but bring at least the normal contingency items.

Good luck and see you at the start!

mtbr member
    The bike is fine, this race is really about the training and altitude. Since you're from Denver the altitude won't effect you as bad as it did me coming from Kansas City. Bring some shoes that are flexible enought to walk uphill in. I wore S-works shoes last year and had blisters on both my heals. There will be lots of walking unless you're at the front of the race. Alot of people wore a bandana around their face for all the dust on the first section, might not be a bad idea. Try to keep your HR in check, recovery is hard over 10K. There is only one section before the 1/2 way point that could cause some trouble, I saw alot of crashes there. Besides that stuff just have a blast suffering!

I'm still on the fence about doing it again this year. If I do it will be single speed.