Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Leadville 2014

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    278

    Leadville 2014

    Who's registered for the lottery? This is my first time. Plan on doing the Austin Rattler and Leadville 50 also.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,479
    Team registered here.

    Kinda bummed when I read race reports that it is basically a dirt road race...
    2014 S-Works Epic WC
    2014 Yeti ARC
    2014 S-Works Crux Disc

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    9
    I registered (first time too), but I am pretty certain I just made a $17 donation. Will also be doing LT 50 though...see ya there.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1
    Signed up as a team with my sis.

  5. #5
    Sooz
    Reputation: sooza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    100
    I have. All the way from Australia. Not sure how to "acclimatize" for the altitude though!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,438
    Just be glad you did not waste your cash on the Leadville 100! That one is basically a dirt road and pavement race. If you guys are going to travel all the way out to Colorado to race you should look at other options.

    I know I am going to sound like a jerk here but if I had to pick two races that I would never do again even if I had a free entry, it would be the LT50 and the LT100. The atmosphere is awesome and the people and volunteers are great but the riding is not fun at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    Team registered here.

    Kinda bummed when I read race reports that it is basically a dirt road race...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    Just be glad you did not waste your cash on the Leadville 100! That one is basically a dirt road and pavement race. If you guys are going to travel all the way out to Colorado to race you should look at other options.

    I know I am going to sound like a jerk here but if I had to pick two races that I would never do again even if I had a free entry, it would be the LT50 and the LT100. The atmosphere is awesome and the people and volunteers are great but the riding is not fun at all.
    Don't let this one persons opinion keep you from experiencing this race. There are 1000 great experiences for every 1 not so great experiences.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RSW42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,081
    Irishpitbull abd Cbrock450 summed it up nicely.


    Cheers!
    .




    .

  9. #9
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    17,605
    Come on, be honest if you've done it, Cbrock summed it up well, just a dirt/jeep road race, altitude is what makes it so damned hard and he's right, people who go and volunteers are absolutely fantastic, but race itself is just suffer fest, no nice, real trails to ride and enjoy. You want an Endurance race that's got all that, but also great trails, try the Laramie Enduro. I'll go back to Leadville, but only for the pre/training rides the weeks leading up to the race and eat and hang out with all those great people, then I'll do the entire course (sans the damn) self supported (and a few others have said they'll join), but I won't be paying that ludicrous entry fee to ride dirt/jeep roads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas O View Post
    Don't let this one persons opinion keep you from experiencing this race. There are 1000 great experiences for every 1 not so great experiences.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Come on, be honest if you've done it, Cbrock summed it up well, just a dirt/jeep road race, altitude is what makes it so damned hard and he's right, people who go and volunteers are absolutely fantastic, but race itself is just suffer fest, no nice, real trails to ride and enjoy. You want an Endurance race that's got all that, but also great trails, try the Laramie Enduro. I'll go back to Leadville, but only for the pre/training rides the weeks leading up to the race and eat and hang out with all those great people, then I'll do the entire course (sans the damn) self supported (and a few others have said they'll join), but I won't be paying that ludicrous entry fee to ride dirt/jeep roads.

    lol if it sucks so bad doing it outside of the actual race sounds even more dumb... Sounds like sour grapes to me. This thread was started to see who was signin up, not as a place to complain...

  11. #11
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Come on, be honest if you've done it, Cbrock summed it up well, just a dirt/jeep road race...
    I'm not going to slag on it. I have some really good memories from when I did it. Training for and finishing Leadville was a rite of passage for me. After I finished Leadville I knew, I can do this kind of thing.

    It's a well-run, iconic race. It's almost a symbol, the way Sea Otter is, the way 24 Moab was. It mainstreamed the idea of a dirt hundie. Ken Chlouber can be said to have created the idea of a dirt hundie the way Laird Knight could be said to have created the idea of a 24 hour lap race. And both of them put on a good show.

    Then it got famous. Then the premier riders from a given year's Tour de France started entering and it got really famous, even among people who have little to no interest in cycling.

    It has the buckle. I don't know if they finally axed the sweatshirts, but it used to feature a custom sweatshirt for finishers.

    So lots of people want to experience it. It's a brand as much as it is a bike race. Some people want to have been a part of it just as some people really like wearing clothing with a Nike swoosh on it.

    Bucket list. Like going to Paris and taking a picture of the Eiffel Tower.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  12. #12
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,584
    Not only is it a Pavement/dirt road/jeep road course, but it's an out and back format (think two way traffic). Leadville is more about the scene and the camaraderie. The course itself compares very poorly with most other endurance races in the area.

  13. #13
    Your Best Friend
    Reputation: Silentfoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,853
    Are we just cut and pasting comments from every years Leadville thread? They all start and finish the same.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

    http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

  14. #14
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Are we just cut and pasting comments from every years Leadville thread? They all start and finish the same.
    "You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Silentfoe again."
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  15. #15
    jms
    jms is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,576
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    I'm not going to slag on it.
    I will.

    It's an "out and back" on fire road at altitude, best heart-lung machine wins. That's not my idea of a mountain bike race.

    And IIRC [I could be wrong], Leadville is now owned by Lifetime Fitness, and one of those people that has an ownership stake in Lifetime Fitness is L. Armstrong. So from a philosophical standpoint, financially supporting organizers that are one step removed from the whole Armstrong cabal, and helping to pay Lance's legal fees is a no go for me too.

    To each his own.
    Last edited by jms; 11-12-2013 at 08:12 AM.
    My Favorite Peeps:

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    21
    The Hondo 100 is supposed to be great as well as the park city point to point race. I have done Leadville the last two years and am looking forward to #3 in 2014. Colorado is beautiful, how can you go wrong, great views along the way but does lack single track.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 06-27-2014, 10:16 PM
  2. 2014 X-Cal 8 or 2014 Superfly 5?
    By 80sforlife in forum Trek
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 01-26-2014, 03:44 AM
  3. Anyone doing Leadville?
    By dezul313 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 09:39 PM
  4. Need help re Leadville 50
    By adriant in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-16-2012, 08:18 AM
  5. leadville
    By HELLBOY333 in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-14-2011, 11:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •