Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leadville 2013

IXC
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Leadville 2013

Why is nobody talking about Leadville this year? The drawing is in a couple weeks. I did it last year and signed up for the drawing again this year. Is the hype over on this race?

mtbr member
    Hopefully...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm doing one of the qualifying races and I'm wondering, if I'm "lucky" enough to win a spot via the qualifying race lottery, if I'll accept it or not. I hear too much about the headache of too many riders, not enough hotel rooms, blah, blah blah. Not to mention the price. Main reason I'm doing the qualifier is it's at a sweet trail here in Texas.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    with the amount of riders and upped cost, this race quickly dropped of my "list"

BBW
    mtbr member
    I'll try to do it next year; this one I don't want to deal with all the things that are involved ($, time, vacations, etc)
    Definitely must do it at least once
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    If you get picked in the lottery and then do well in a qualifying race, do you get to move up to a better corral?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Oro D View Post
    If you get picked in the lottery and then do well in a qualifying race, do you get to move up to a better corral?
    I got in via the lottery and raced in the 50, they put me in a better corral based on my finish time in the 50. Not sure if the same is true of all the qualifiers though. I was a first timer last year too, so it was really nice not to start at the very back of the pack.

Old Joe
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Oro D View Post
    The answer to your question is: Yes....Last year riders who did qualifiers were moved up from the last corral based on a prorated finish time at their qualifiers....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Joe View Post
    The answer to your question is: Yes....Last year riders who did qualifiers were moved up from the last corral based on a prorated finish time at their qualifiers....
    take it for what it's worth as this guys a known doper.

Old Joe
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    take it for what it's worth as this guys a known doper.
    Mr. Mattice: I will give you ample opportunity to prove the validity of your statement in a court of law. Have a good day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Someone call the usada!!!
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Joe View Post
    Mr. Mattice: I will give you ample opportunity to prove the validity of your statement in a court of law. Have a good day.
    LOL, see you at Leadville oldman

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yikes... That escalated quickly All the smack talk and what not...

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Maybe because enough people are realizing that Leadville while certainly having it's niche, is greatly overrated when compared to most other 100 mile races out there

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Maybe because enough people are realizing that Leadville while certainly having it's niche, is greatly overrated when compared to most other 100 mile races out there
    Yea, would much rather do the Breck 100...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by claystrick View Post
    Yea, would much rather do the Breck 100...
    Me too, the Breck race makes Leadville look like a warm up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post

Concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon93108
    with the amount of riders and upped cost, this race quickly dropped of my "list"

Yeah, and I also feel the lottery is mostly likely a 'random' (not) drawing...Leadville is off my list.

Plus, when you think of it, it is a 90+ mile dirt road race...I think there is what, only 2-3 miles Singletrack?

Much better and more challenging races out there.

Occasionally engaged…
    Quote Originally Posted by RSW42 View Post
    Plus, when you think of it, it is a 90+ mile dirt road race...I think there is what, only 2-3 miles Singletrack?

Much better and more challenging races out there.
    I can understand that any given race might not be your cup of tea, but I'm always a bit put off by denigration of Leadville or "Race X" as not being "challenging". I've been trying to break 20 minutes on the local flat 5K race for years -- as a crappy, injury-prone runner that's a huge challenge. I broke 9 hours at Leadville my first time and as my first distance race I was conservative and it wasn't too hard. Well, the next three times I was shooting to break 8 hours and let me tell you it was damn hard.

There are lots of reasons for not caring for a race (cost, organization deficiencies, boring terrain, too much altitude, too muggy, too hot, too far away), but if it's not challenging enough it's your own problem. Even when Wiens was winning going away, and the dopers were laying waste to the records, I think they were honest in their assessment that it was a hard, challenging race. They made it that way by pushing themselves, and you can do the same thing by shooting for a personal best.

For the record, I haven't entered the Leadville 100 race for years and won't go again because of the cost and organizational issues. I'll never grump about riding in the mountains, be it a dirt road or single track, and thin air is my friend, but I can't get past those two negative (for me) issues.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeT View Post
    I'll never grump about riding in the mountains, be it a dirt road or single track, and thin air is my friend, but I can't get past those two negative (for me) issues.

Same here...never one to grump.

But, for the reasons you mentioned, Leadville is not worth the effort to even get in.

Cheers,

R

mtbr member

+1

To me, Leadville's about riding the high country, Boom Days celebration, fishing, history, exploring the mining districts, increadable views and wildflowers, and just hanging out and riding with my friends. The race puts and exclaimation point on a great week.

It seems to me that the people who rag the most on the LT100 have never done it or tried it and DNF'd.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Leadville 2013-mini-a12_103-0342_img.jpg  

Leadville 2013-mini-a23_img_2624_new.jpg  

Leadville 2013-mini-a25_img_2686_new2-copy.jpg  

Leadville 2013-mini-a26_img_2209_b.jpg  

Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zignzag View Post
    To me, Leadville's about riding the high country, Boom Days celebration, fishing, history, exploring the mining districts, increadable views and wildflowers, and just hanging out and riding with my friends. The race puts and exclaimation point on a great week.

I hear you...

I love combining a race with a weekend of outdoor exploration, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Zignzag View Post
    It seems to me that the people who rag the most on the LT100 have never done it or tried it and DNF'd.

Never done LT100. After years of putting my name in the "Lottery", never got picked...then this "qualifier" nonsense kicked in...

Shut up and ride
    2013 Lameville!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    "Lameville" ? Not very positive. It is better than alot of events in terms of organization and support. And it may be dirt roads but it is still challenging. Just tired of the hate. And I have been rejected so I have room to comment.

mtbr member
    I always wanted to experience Leadville, just never got around to it because of a lot of the reasons outlined above. Anyway, here is a great race outside of Colorado that could be a consideration. The Park City Point 2 Point, registration drops this Friday the 15th, and it sells out quick. Get details at thepcpp.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    In reality you can make any race as hard or easy as you want.

In 2010 did 24 In enchanted forest. Rode 112miles

In 2011 did the PCP2P rode 90 something.

In 2012 Leadville. 103

The 24hr race tired me out. Long Fing day
    P2P was just plane cruel. Broke me!
    Leadville was enjoyable

Now training plays it's roll. Train hard and often if you want to do well, but don't hate on anything It's all riding your bike. Enjoy.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29or6to4 View Post
    In reality you can make any race as hard or easy as you want.

Amen...

Of all the ones I've done, I've found that the ORAMM (did it in 07, and 11) is quite savage in terms of terrain, climbing, and getting the snot beat out of you on long, rocky descents.

But its an AWESOME race and is superbly well run and supported.

Your Best Friend

Re: Leadville 2013

Quote Originally Posted by 29or6to4 View Post
    In 2011 did the PCP2P rode 90 something.
    Did you get lost? My Garmin said it was about 78-79 miles.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in South West Utah

Rex R
    Good luck to all entered in the lottery. This will be my first attempt... guess we will see how it goes. I signed up for the Flagstaff Barn Burner qualifier as a fallback attempt at getting in. Despite the nearly incomprehensible fees and costs I would like to experience at least Leadville once. GLTA!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Experience is great. Cost is great.

Anyone ever done an ironman? I haven't, but have friends that do them at a price of $600+ per event. That's a lot of $$ to shell out, not to mention adding in the bike, shoes, wetsuit, pool time, coaches, minimum nights stay in the hotel, etc. Now that's expensive all for a one day event!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Have any of you ever raced a NASCAR event? Now that's expensive.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post

Pays more prize money too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Is that a sport?

Rex R
    Anyone heard back about the lottery yet?

IXC
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I received my confirmation at 1:15 eastern time I'M IN

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: Leadville 2013

Not yet, still waiting. They posted a notice on Facebook saying they are still processing.
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Leadville 2013

Anyone else in yet?

Rex R
    Still waiting here- looking a little worse every hour. I will say my CC was compromised in the last couple of weeks and I saw on FB if you were picked and they are unable to charge your acct they are sending out an email sometime later today...sort of hoping that is the cause for my delay but I doubt it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Leadville 2013

It would be nice if they sent a dear John so you're not left wondering all day.

Rex R
    Agreed!

Rex R
    Well my hypothesis was right- I got in! I had an email saying my card was declined and I had to go to their site and re-pay! Anyways- the email was in my spam folder for some reason. GLTA!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Looks like I'm doing the Tatanka 100!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I didn't get in after volunteering in 2012.

So much for the preferential lottery treatment....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    Is that a sport?

You may be surprised to know that many of those drivers are in better shape than many of us, and how much stress their racing puts on their cardio system.

I've attended a NASCAR driving school, did a few laps at over 130mph. Can't imagine another 60-70 mph and driving closer together than a team pursuit for 400 miles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norty_mtb View Post
    Experience is great. Cost is great.

Anyone ever done an ironman? I haven't, but have friends that do them at a price of $600+ per event. That's a lot of $$ to shell out, not to mention adding in the bike, shoes, wetsuit, pool time, coaches, minimum nights stay in the hotel, etc. Now that's expensive all for a one day event!
    I did an IM in '88, Leadville in '09. Lots more money for the IM, both challenging, both a lot of fun. However, after Leadville I was thinking it was just another ride. The IM, on the other hand, was practically a life changing experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgyglfr View Post
    Anyone else in yet?
    I'm in.
    Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I met a guy last year that had volunteered for previous Leadville events and didn't make the lottery. He contacted them and told them about his past volunteering....and started one coral in front of me at last years race!

BTW, I didn't get good news this year from them...guess I'll look to a qualifier or '14

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Am I to assume that if a person received notice that their credit card was charged, then they got in?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by speckledtrout View Post
    Am I to assume that if a person received notice that their credit card was charged, then they got in?
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    In that case, oh crap.

nOOb
    May 2008
    I did not get in, maybe next year. Now I'm looking for something else in Colorado as we'll vacation at the same time. Don't know if I have the courage to try the Breckenridge 100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast