Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Leadville 2013

IXC
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Leadville 2013

Why is nobody talking about Leadville this year? The drawing is in a couple weeks. I did it last year and signed up for the drawing again this year. Is the hype over on this race?

mtbr member
    Hopefully...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm doing one of the qualifying races and I'm wondering, if I'm "lucky" enough to win a spot via the qualifying race lottery, if I'll accept it or not. I hear too much about the headache of too many riders, not enough hotel rooms, blah, blah blah. Not to mention the price. Main reason I'm doing the qualifier is it's at a sweet trail here in Texas.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    with the amount of riders and upped cost, this race quickly dropped of my "list"

BBW
    mtbr member
    I'll try to do it next year; this one I don't want to deal with all the things that are involved ($, time, vacations, etc)
    Definitely must do it at least once
    BBW. MS, RD

mtbr member
    If you get picked in the lottery and then do well in a qualifying race, do you get to move up to a better corral?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by Oro D View Post
    If you get picked in the lottery and then do well in a qualifying race, do you get to move up to a better corral?
    I got in via the lottery and raced in the 50, they put me in a better corral based on my finish time in the 50. Not sure if the same is true of all the qualifiers though. I was a first timer last year too, so it was really nice not to start at the very back of the pack.

Old Joe
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Oro D View Post
    The answer to your question is: Yes....Last year riders who did qualifiers were moved up from the last corral based on a prorated finish time at their qualifiers....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Joe View Post
    The answer to your question is: Yes....Last year riders who did qualifiers were moved up from the last corral based on a prorated finish time at their qualifiers....
    take it for what it's worth as this guys a known doper.

Old Joe
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    take it for what it's worth as this guys a known doper.
    Mr. Mattice: I will give you ample opportunity to prove the validity of your statement in a court of law. Have a good day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Someone call the usada!!!
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Joe View Post
    Mr. Mattice: I will give you ample opportunity to prove the validity of your statement in a court of law. Have a good day.
    LOL, see you at Leadville oldman

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yikes... That escalated quickly All the smack talk and what not...

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Maybe because enough people are realizing that Leadville while certainly having it's niche, is greatly overrated when compared to most other 100 mile races out there

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Maybe because enough people are realizing that Leadville while certainly having it's niche, is greatly overrated when compared to most other 100 mile races out there
    Yea, would much rather do the Breck 100...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by claystrick View Post
    Yea, would much rather do the Breck 100...
    Me too, the Breck race makes Leadville look like a warm up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post

Concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon93108
    with the amount of riders and upped cost, this race quickly dropped of my "list"

Yeah, and I also feel the lottery is mostly likely a 'random' (not) drawing...Leadville is off my list.

Plus, when you think of it, it is a 90+ mile dirt road race...I think there is what, only 2-3 miles Singletrack?

Much better and more challenging races out there.

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by RSW42 View Post
    Plus, when you think of it, it is a 90+ mile dirt road race...I think there is what, only 2-3 miles Singletrack?

Much better and more challenging races out there.
    I can understand that any given race might not be your cup of tea, but I'm always a bit put off by denigration of Leadville or "Race X" as not being "challenging". I've been trying to break 20 minutes on the local flat 5K race for years -- as a crappy, injury-prone runner that's a huge challenge. I broke 9 hours at Leadville my first time and as my first distance race I was conservative and it wasn't too hard. Well, the next three times I was shooting to break 8 hours and let me tell you it was damn hard.

There are lots of reasons for not caring for a race (cost, organization deficiencies, boring terrain, too much altitude, too muggy, too hot, too far away), but if it's not challenging enough it's your own problem. Even when Wiens was winning going away, and the dopers were laying waste to the records, I think they were honest in their assessment that it was a hard, challenging race. They made it that way by pushing themselves, and you can do the same thing by shooting for a personal best.

For the record, I haven't entered the Leadville 100 race for years and won't go again because of the cost and organizational issues. I'll never grump about riding in the mountains, be it a dirt road or single track, and thin air is my friend, but I can't get past those two negative (for me) issues.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeT View Post
    I'll never grump about riding in the mountains, be it a dirt road or single track, and thin air is my friend, but I can't get past those two negative (for me) issues.

Same here...never one to grump.

But, for the reasons you mentioned, Leadville is not worth the effort to even get in.

Cheers,

R

mtbr member

+1

To me, Leadville's about riding the high country, Boom Days celebration, fishing, history, exploring the mining districts, increadable views and wildflowers, and just hanging out and riding with my friends. The race puts and exclaimation point on a great week.

It seems to me that the people who rag the most on the LT100 have never done it or tried it and DNF'd.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Leadville 2013-mini-a12_103-0342_img.jpg  

Leadville 2013-mini-a23_img_2624_new.jpg  

Leadville 2013-mini-a25_img_2686_new2-copy.jpg  

Leadville 2013-mini-a26_img_2209_b.jpg  

Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zignzag View Post
    To me, Leadville's about riding the high country, Boom Days celebration, fishing, history, exploring the mining districts, increadable views and wildflowers, and just hanging out and riding with my friends. The race puts and exclaimation point on a great week.

I hear you...

I love combining a race with a weekend of outdoor exploration, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Zignzag View Post
    It seems to me that the people who rag the most on the LT100 have never done it or tried it and DNF'd.

Never done LT100. After years of putting my name in the "Lottery", never got picked...then this "qualifier" nonsense kicked in...

Shut up and ride
    2013 Lameville!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    "Lameville" ? Not very positive. It is better than alot of events in terms of organization and support. And it may be dirt roads but it is still challenging. Just tired of the hate. And I have been rejected so I have room to comment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I always wanted to experience Leadville, just never got around to it because of a lot of the reasons outlined above. Anyway, here is a great race outside of Colorado that could be a consideration. The Park City Point 2 Point, registration drops this Friday the 15th, and it sells out quick. Get details at thepcpp.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    In reality you can make any race as hard or easy as you want.

In 2010 did 24 In enchanted forest. Rode 112miles

In 2011 did the PCP2P rode 90 something.

In 2012 Leadville. 103

The 24hr race tired me out. Long Fing day
    P2P was just plane cruel. Broke me!
    Leadville was enjoyable

Now training plays it's roll. Train hard and often if you want to do well, but don't hate on anything It's all riding your bike. Enjoy.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast