Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    nOOb
    May 2008

Leadville 100 registration fee?

So I didn't get into the Leadville 100 this year. I noticed they sent me an email that I had a "Virtual Goody Bag" ready. I didn't get in, so I was like whatever. That got me to thinking, I paid Chronotrack $17.01 to try to register, apparently they get to keep that fee even if I don't get in? I was never refunded the fee. I am assuming somewhere along the lines I accepted something saying it was non-refundable, but I'm just curious if anyone else remembers, that was way back in January. I'm not bitter, but it sounds like a sweet deal to make $17.01 to reject probably hundreds or thousands of registrants?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yep, it seems that most lottery entry races/events have a non-refundable fee like this. I personally find the crowded & expensive nature of Pbville makes it one of the less-appealing events.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    From what I understand, yes, they keep the fee. If I do Leadville one day, I'll do it by winning my entry in one of the qualifying races like the Austin Rattler or the Barn Burner.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    All the lottery registration fees are donated to local charities in and around the Leadville area. Last year the donation was about 15k.

Due to overwhelming demand, entrance to the Leadville Trail 100 MTB Race will be again be lottery-based. Cost is $15 to enter the lottery, which will be open until January 31, 2013. Winners will be chosen and notified February 15. Cost for the Leadville Trail 100 MTB will be $345. The $15 lottery fees will be applied in full the following 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations; Leadville Legacy, IMBA and additional volunteer 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations. - See more at: Leadville Trail 100 MTB | Bike Series | Life Time Fitness - Leadville Race Series

nOOb
    May 2008
    Groovy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I can deal with the non-refundable fee for the lottery, especially if it goes to non-profit. I can't deal with the astronomical registration fee for super over-hyped race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda View Post
    I can deal with the non-refundable fee for the lottery, especially if it goes to non-profit. I can't deal with the astronomical registration fee for super over-hyped race.
    You don't have to enter. Freedom of choice is a wonderful thing, eh?

Twin Six METAL Team
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    ^^ True story.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    I guess the only way to get the entry fee down would be to get EVERYONE to boycott for a year or two. That might be tough.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    As long as waves and waves of participants line up for this event, they can do what they want. If you don't like their party, don't go.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    don't intend to. Would rather do Breck Epic or Breckenridge.

mtbr member
    I did Leadville last weekend.. Love the course, its a real challenge at that elevation. The entry fee is high but that wouldn't stop me from lining up again. The sense of accomplishment you get when you finish is almost worth all the BS in that race. I think the problem is with the number of riders.. Holy Jesus!!! I had someone on my rear wheel and I was on a wheel literally from start to finish. There are just too many people in that race... I tried it and I think its worth a try if you haven't done it before but I probably wont be back. Its also a pretty long drawn out ordeal..... Registration on Thursday, meeting on Friday,,, race on Saturday,,,, 3hr awards ceremony on Sunday...Oh hell,, I don't know.. I might do the damn thing again..

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Louda View Post
    don't intend to. Would rather do Breck Epic or Breckenridge.

^^well the Breck Epic will set you back $1000. Might as well get a season ski pass to go with.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    No thanks. I have more sense that to enter an over-hyped, over-priced race. I can ride 100 miles solo on gravel roads and trails in Georgia, Tennessee, or North Carolina that would make this ride seem like a road ride.

Rogue Exterminator
    Would I pay $345 to ride this race? Hell No!
    Is it overpriced? Also Hell No!

I say the same thing about races around here when people complain about the price.
    If it sells out, it isn't over priced, it is under priced.

The fact that Leadville not only sells out every year but people are willing to forfeit $15 just for a chance of luck to get in and than pay the $345 to enter tells me that the race is still under priced.

Those who complain about the price just can't afford the rich mans sport.
    I can't afford/justify it myself but complaining about it is like complaining that Ferrari's are over priced because I can't pay for one of those either.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

MTB B'dos
    I gave it a go, it was expensive for me back in '07 and it hadn't "taken off" then. Race has gone to crap now it's on the Pros agenda thanks to Lie Strong, if I ever go back it will just be for the time leading up to the race and to ride the entire course with friends on the day before the race and complete it, self supported. It's the people that you meet and make friends with that makes it what it is and why people go back, but lots of the friends I made there agree with me and think my idea is a great one, so sometime in the future it'll happen.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 3blackbikes View Post
    ^^well the Breck Epic will set you back $1000. Might as well get a season ski pass to go with.
    Actually, the basic six day price of the Epic is $699 The Breck Epic MTB Stage Race | Categories & Pricing McCormick has actually dropped the price from previous years.

From there you can add options like meal plans, etc which can bump up the price.

The Breck 100 cost is $225. Registration

As others have said though, as long as people enter a lottery to get into Leadville even at the present price point, they can and will charge whatever they want. To each their own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3blackbikes View Post
    Note that Vail has deals on season passes that are lower than Lt100 entry, and much lower than BrekEpic.
    Vail Season Pass | Vail Ski Passes & Ski Pass Deals | Vail.com
    To spend over $1000 on a season pass, you need to come up to Steamboat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Actually, the basic six day price of the Epic is $699 The Breck Epic MTB Stage Race | Categories & Pricing McCormick has actually dropped the price from previous years.

From there you can add options like meal plans, etc which can bump up the price.

The Breck 100 cost is $225. Registration

As others have said though, as long as people enter a lottery to get into Leadville even at the present price point, they can and will charge whatever they want. To each their own.
    I might add to this that the trails in BrekEpic you will want to go back and ride again and again, I don't hear of anyone saying that about the Lt100 course.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    I might add to this that the trails in BrekEpic you will want to go back and ride again and again, I don't hear of anyone saying that about the Lt100 course.
    I'm curious, have you done the Leadville Race?

mtbr member
    No, the entry would be all of my race budget. Too many good $85 races that support local trails like Laramie Enduro, Gunny Growler, and steamboat's Stinger. I did all these this year for less than one LT100 entry, and I know most of my entry goes to trails, and bikers building trails, not Lifetime Sports. Plus if I have a bad day in one of these events, my whole summer isn't sunk, I have other races.

I keep wondering how the UCI/USAC Pro rule will effect attendance next year, or will the top racers come dispite threat of fines and suspension.

MTB B'dos
    Have to agree with SBSbiker, I've done Laramie (killer trails) and Leadville (mostly boring fireroad) and there's no doubt I wouldn't be going back to Leadville for those trails used in the race, but Laramie, absolutely awesome trails, had a blast in the race as the trails were just great trails, lots of ST too. Never done the Breck, but expect from photos that the trails there are also awesome and real trails, not mainly fireroads.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas O View Post
    I'm curious, have you done the Leadville Race?
    No, the entry would be all of my race budget. Too many good $85 races that support local trails like Laramie Enduro, Gunny Growler, and steamboat's Stinger. I did all these this year for less than one LT100 entry, and I know most of my entry goes to trails, and bikers building trails, not Lifetime Sports. Plus if I have a bad day in one of these events, my whole summer isn't sunk, I have other races.

I keep wondering how the UCI/USAC Pro rule will effect attendance next year, or will the top racers come dispite threat of fines and suspension.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Please don't be offended by this but until you have experienced the LT100 for yourself you really can't speak to the points that other races are better than this. I just did the race and it is the most epic thing that I have done. It is much more than just a challenging race course. It is all the people that make it up. You can experience a big part of that by just being in one of the crew/spectator areas. You can do that for free. The support during the race is secound to none and at the end they give you a first class finishers medal. I did it in under 12 hours so I also got a really cool buckle as well as a really nice finishers jacket. I live in Minnesota where Lifetime fitness is headquartered. Here locally they are constantly giving money to the local trails as well as the Minnesota high school mountain biking league. They also gave 20+K to IMBA last year from the LT100 and I'm sure they will give at least that this year. I hear a lot of hate out there for Lifetime Fitness but if you would take a little time to get to know the company and the founder you would find out that this single company does more for our sport than any other single entity out there. They have a group ride every day of the week from one of there clubs here in the twin cities area. They are free and you don't have to be a member to ride. They just want to encourage cycling and a healthy way of life. The last time I saw the count they have 92 clubs nationwide and they are doing this at all of the clubs. Understand, they are a "for profit" corporation entitled to make a profit. They are the best at what they do (in my opinion) and they are very good at sharing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas O View Post
    Please don't be offended by this but until you have experienced the LT100 for yourself you really can't speak to the points that other races are better than this. I just did the race and it is the most epic thing that I have done. It is much more than just a challenging race course. It is all the people that make it up. You can experience a big part of that by just being in one of the crew/spectator areas. You can do that for free. The support during the race is secound to none and at the end they give you a first class finishers medal. I did it in under 12 hours so I also got a really cool buckle as well as a really nice finishers jacket. I live in Minnesota where Lifetime fitness is headquartered. Here locally they are constantly giving money to the local trails as well as the Minnesota high school mountain biking league. They also gave 20+K to IMBA last year from the LT100 and I'm sure they will give at least that this year. I hear a lot of hate out there for Lifetime Fitness but if you would take a little time to get to know the company and the founder you would find out that this single company does more for our sport than any other single entity out there. They have a group ride every day of the week from one of there clubs here in the twin cities area. They are free and you don't have to be a member to ride. They just want to encourage cycling and a healthy way of life. The last time I saw the count they have 92 clubs nationwide and they are doing this at all of the clubs. Understand, they are a "for profit" corporation entitled to make a profit. They are the best at what they do (in my opinion) and they are very good at sharing.
    I agree! I did Leadville for the third time this year. Great experience and ill try to get in again next year.

It ain't easy being Green
    Horses for courses. Those who say that Leadville isn't much of a MTB race are absolutely right, but it's still a hell of a RACE and an experience that I personally find very satisfying. This year was my 4th go and I keep coming back because I want that big buckle, dammit, and I'm not yet worthy. I was close this time, so close... next year I'll kill it and then I can move on to more interesting things like the Breck Epic, which is on my bucket list.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast