mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Laramie Enduro Pre Ride

Any suggestions on logistics or stashing supplies along the route for a pre ride? Would like to do the entire course at an easy pace in a single day. Thanks

Terror of Sidewalls
    Jul 2007
    I would probably wait until Rich posts the updated course as I believe he had to change some parts that are pretty wet to get the permit approved.

While driving to the start, I would drop off whatever you will want later near where the course crosses Happy Jack Highway near Aid Station 4 - ~ mile 52. You could also drop stuff where it crosses after AS2 - ~ mile 33 if you didn't want to carry much with you.

Terror of Sidewalls
    Jul 2007
    I ran into Rich on Pete's Surprise Trail yesterday. He showed me some of the reroutes he is working on for that area and gave some info regarding some of the others.

There will be bridges on race day for some of the major water crossings that are currently hard to cross (or have log bridges in out-of-the-way areas that are not always easy to see) so raceday will be nicer than current prerides are. The trail will be rerouted around the boggy areas on Pete's, so look for tracks that go around the bogs while preriding. EDIT - All but one of the bogs on Pete's are now dry and the reroutes following the stock tank are now very easy to follow.

There will be a bridge at the crossing at mile 49, but for now there is a log crossing about 30 or so yards to the left over a narrow portion of the stream. There is also a log bridge at the drainage at mile 42 located to the left of the old road crossing. I haven't ridden the stretch between mile 53 and 60 this year, but I'm sure the big bog in that section is bad. There will likely be a reroute around this area as the trail through it doesn't even really exist anymore.

As usual, I find the most dangerous stretches to be some of the fast downhill road sections in the first 22 miles. Some areas have nasty waterbars and loose pea gravel/sand that are hard to see until you're right on top of them. Take it easy if preriding for the first time unless you want to join the collarbone club.

EDIT: Just thought of a couple more things. I met a nice Greenie this weekend who endo'd right into the water crossing around mile 36 after trying to ride it and seeing his front wheel disappear in 3' water...didn't sound fun. Also, if I understood Rich correctly, it sounds like the trail will be rerouted on a little higher ground (a bit of hike-a-bike) to avoid the muck immediately following the crossing at mile 40, and that instead of turning left and riding up (the very faint and easily missed) More Revenge trail, you will stay on the road, climb the hill and merge onto singletrack as soon as you see it at the right side of the road. Shortly thereafter you reach Aid Station 3 (where the singletrack crosses the road).
    Last edited by lunarprobe; 07-17-2010 at 01:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the info, hope to ride it later this week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Rode the course yesterday, all the water crossing are passable. Two of them I just moved left to jump across at a narrow spot. A couple of the boggy areas are still bad.

Last 15 miles took a real toll on me.

Also, there was a really pissed screaming eagle in the woods somewhere around mile 8 or 9, dived at me then landed on my helmet and proceeded to beat me with its wings. Minor scalp cuts from its claws, so watch out and always wear a helmet.

Last edited by 67fastback; 07-16-2010 at 05:49 PM.

Terror of Sidewalls
    Jul 2007
    Glad to hear the water crossings seem to be improving. The final miles are definitely the toughest, especially after grinding away for 50+ miles..
    Last edited by lunarprobe; 07-16-2010 at 10:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 67fastback
    Rode the course yesterday, all the water crossing are passable. Two of them I just moved left to jump across at a narrow spot. A couple of the boggy areas are still bad.

Last 15 miles took a real toll on me.

Also, there was a really pissed screaming eagle in the woods somewhere around mile 8 or 9, dived at me then landed on my helmet and proceeded to beat me with its wings. Minor scalp cuts from its claws, so watch out and always wear a helmet.

Ditto. The eagle went after me last week.

Occasionally engaged…
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlh
    The eagle went after me last week.
    It's a goshawk, and two of us went through there on Wednesday and saw no sign of it. The young'uns have reportedly fledged and that likely means no more attacks. But if you're going through there in the next few days, use caution.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PeT
    It's a goshawk, and two of us went through there on Wednesday and saw no sign of it. The young'uns have reportedly fledged and that likely means no more attacks. But if you're going through there in the next few days, use caution.
    Our goshawk friend took two dives at me earlier today when I jogged by. The first was a close swoop, but the second made a little contact with the back of my head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The racers yesterday were warned of being dive-bombed by an angry hawk around mile 7, but we had no problems,

Members who have read this thread: 0