mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Laramie Enduro...hydration pack or not?

Saw that this thread may have disappeared....psyched for this Saturday but wanted to pose a question to some registered or some that have done it in the past....

The question is hydration pack or not?

Given the fact that mechanically I can carry what I need for self sufficiency without a pack, the variable is nutrition/hydration

With 6 aid stations, an opportunity to drop a bag at aid #3, my thinking is no pack just because I like the freedom of riding without it and can refuel with personal preference 1/2 way and if need be pick up whatever is offered in between....

The other consideration is weather/rain but a cool down with rain may not be unwelcome....

thoughts from others? plans?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Personally, I am using my 2-liter hydration pack. I'm planning on the pack having water (with some lemons in it), and then for the one bottle I can carry on my bike some sort of drink mix. I've learned that sometimes I can't stomach drink mixes in the heat/hard exertion, so definitely want to have a mix of both.

I'm not going to carry much food with me from home, maybe a gel or two as the aid stations are so well stocked I might as well not use up my stuff from home.

Only thing I'm not too thrilled about is the aid stations offering Heed as the drink mix option. I hate the taste of Heed, so I'm thinking I might have to make up some baggies of my preferred mix to pour in bottles. I'm not doing to the Enduro to race it, just looking to finish so the extra 30 seconds to mix in my own stuff isn't a concerned in the big scheme of things!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The aid stations are great and you don't really need to carry all that water. My plan is to go with two bottles, 1 h20,1 Skratch, pack two more for the drop bag, and carry a couple of single serve bags of Skratch to add to their water, cause Heed makes me sick. Go lite, it's 70+ miles.

As for weather, wind is the real enemy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There is enough road/non-technical terrain on the course that I wouldn't hesitate to run bottles -- and I typically run a pack (so I don't have to slow down to hydrate).

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That confirms what I was thinking, thanks for the input....two bottles while packing some single serve of my own refuel to mix with water as heed does not agree with me as well particularly after 40 or so miles....pack a drop bag and have fun....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who doesn't agree with Heed!

If I could carry two bottles, I'd consider ditching the pack. But alas, unless I get creative, only one bottle for me. Strangely enough, I'm trying to convince myself that is justification for upgrading to an Epic World Cup for next season...

mtbr member
    Hi there,

I personally use a Camelbak. Mostly because I've used it for all of my long rides and training and don't want 'race' day to be the time I try something new. The aid stations are close enough you could probably run 2 bottles and have your hydration covered if you stop at every one. I generally stop at every other aid station to refill the bladder in my Camelbak and only stop at the others if I need a bio break.

The aid stations are pretty well stocked if I recall. My two favorite items they've had in the past are boiled/salted potato cubes and watermelon. Though I think those are at the later stations. But I'm sure it changes year to year.

This is a great event and the volunteers are amazing. Good luck everyone and don't forget to have fun!

j

mtbr'er
    sooshee - Not a fan of another bottle in the back pocket of your jersey?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 00XJCO View Post
    sooshee - Not a fan of another bottle in the back pocket of your jersey?
    Never have tried it, but for something like this race, just makes more sense to me to just wear a Camelback, and then I also have room for a spare tube, tubes, whatever.

I normally race cross country and do just fine with one bottle, but I want to be extra prepared for the Enduro.

mtbr'er
    Might not be the best time to give it a go for the first time then! I've been debating between bottles/small hydration pack over the past week, and I think I'm just going to go with the bottles. I ride an Epic, too, so it will be one in the frame and one in my pocket.

I often opt for the Hydration pack in long ones like this that are more technical because I find myself forgetting to drink if it's inconvenient to take my hands of the bars. I pre-rode the course last weekend and even amidst the technical sections (which aren't very technical) there are lots of opportunities to reach for the bottle.

Of course, this will mean more aid station stops - but the comfort factor for a longer race like this without a pack is worth it for me, I hope. Will find out tomorrow.

Good luck!

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    I often race with a Platapus 1 liter bladder (with a drinking tube) in my center jersey pocket (no pack), and then two bottles in cages. But with the style of course and frequency of aid stations for this course, I'll just go the two bottle route. I can't abide having all that good ventilation space on my back covered by a pack. Even those that are designed to ventilate well are still poor compared to just a jersey covered back. I was out marking a section of the course this morning, and even though it was still cool I was much hotter than I had any right to be due to the pack I was wearing to carry trail marking supplies.

And that brings up a point -- just because it's not a terribly technical course, that doesn't mean it's not without danger. There's some serious erosion and sand collections on fast downhills and at strange places on the trail. So be extra sharp out there and stay upright!
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr'er
    PeT - I was actually out on the course last Saturday when the sideways hail pummeled everything (myself included), looked like it had snowed a few inches after 20 minutes of that. Not sure what sort of weather that area has been seeing since then but I would imagine that took a toll, and there were a few sections even prior that I noticed were pretty washed out and super loose. Definitely have to watch out for some of those rutted out areas in the loose stuff they'll really suck you in if you're not paying attention!

mtbr member

Re: Laramie Enduro...hydration pack or not?

Quote Originally Posted by PeT View Post
    I often race with a Platapus 1 liter bladder (with a drinking tube) in my center jersey pocket (no pack), and then two bottles in cages.
    I'm curious - where do you run the tube and how do you keep it in place/accessible?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    I'm curious - where do you run the tube and how do you keep it in place/accessible?
    I run the hose along my side, under my arm, and have a alligator clip attached to the hose that I clip to my jersey. I find it just as accessible as the drinking tube attached to a hydration pack (back in the distant days when I used a pack). One thing that makes the bladder in the central pocket work well is to use a tight fitting lycra race jersey -- keeps everything from jiggling too much.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You poor guys complaining about 1 bottle, even the ~20lb full susser carbon wunderbikes around here run one:

Laramie Enduro...hydration pack or not?-478244_10151273162387453_1112335573_o.jpg

Laramie Enduro...hydration pack or not?-327832_10150569733572453_1109420785_o.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Laramie Enduro...hydration pack or not?-handymount.gif