mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Laramie Enduro; One Big Week

I am training for my first attempt at an endurance race, the Laramie Enduro in 4 weeks. To this point, my training has been ok, but a little sporadic due to weather and other issues. For instance, last weekend I went for a 50 mile gravel ride on my mtb and felt great, but the two weeks before that I didn't ride very much.

Next week (3 weeks before the race) I am off work and will have lots of time to train. I figure that with 3 weeks till the race, I can still make some big time gains and have plenty of time to recover. I have been impressed with the wealth of knowledge present on this board, and so I have to ask: What is the best use of my week? Or stated another way, what can I do that week that will best prepare me for the Laramie Enduro?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I too am training for my first endurance race and it too is the Enduro. I've been doing a 12 week training plan for a 100k race. This isn't geared toward the Enduro but any 100k race. My schedule for next week is as follows.

Monday- Core workout of abdominal and lower back
    Tuesday- Hill intervals (6 x 3 min. up at HR zone 5. 3 min. DH to recover)
    Wednesday- Core workout
    Thursday- 1:15 ride w/ 30 min. in zone 3
    Friday- 1:30 relatively easy ride
    Saturday- 1:30 ride focusing on hills and being in zone 3-4
    Sunday- 6:00 minimize stopping and treat it like the race

For me the biggest thing is trying to work out the fueling. How many calories, sodium, water, etc. This is all very foreign to me but I'm getting better at it. I've found that the Hammer Nutrition products to work well.

I think the things to keep in mind is the heat, distance, and elevation gain. According to the 2006 profile there was 6700+ vert. If you just ride for long distances without gaining elevation you won't be helping yourself out.

Have a great week off. Wish I could have a whole week to do nothing but ride.
    Turner Burner, Polished
    Salsa Mariachi 2
    Salsa Mukluk 2 Custom
    Bucksaw - Future Ride

Occasionally engaged…
    I think mtn_man2's schedule looks pretty good, particularly if you're pretty fit to begin with. But I'd personally double the time on the bike for the Tuesday (ride for an hour or more after the intervals are done), Thursday and Friday rides. In my experience, riding big, hard miles three and two weeks out from an event pays big dividends on race day. I'll even pull off a couple of serious two hour efforts early in the week of the race to keep my legs from going dead.

So, my recipe is big miles -- whatever that is for you -- for the next two weeks. The only way it would be too much is if you injure yourself or it causes you to get sick. But as mtn_man2 had in his schedule, also include some intervals.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Great! That is exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for. Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0