Thread: Landis coming

lucky enough

Landis coming

Word is Floyd will race in the Leadville 100 this year. Maybe I'll catch a glimpse of him coming down from Columbine Mine.
    "Don't take life so serious, son . . . it ain't no how permanent." - Porky Pine

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I hope Weins kicks his butt.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by 12wheels
    I hope Weins kicks his butt.
    Shouldn't be too hard, unless his fitness gets alot better

http://summitdaily.com/article/20070...73283082731544

feel the Force
    Definitely won't be hard. He was PATHETIC over the weekend, at Teva Mtn Games. I passed him about 1/4 into the race, and he was suffering bad! Unless he gets some serious time in, he might not even finish!

old enough to know better

Floyd has guts

When I see him, I will cheer. The guy has been through hell and IMHO it is not of his making.

Dave Weins is a stong champion for the LT100. Hopefully Floyd will at least make him earn keeping the title.

Remember, when Armstong found out how hard the race is, he bailed.

jms
    mtbr member

Kicking while down

Quote Originally Posted by mtbjedi1
    Definitely won't be hard. He was PATHETIC over the weekend, at Teva Mtn Games. I passed him about 1/4 into the race, and he was suffering bad! Unless he gets some serious time in, he might not even finish!
    Nice. Would this be the highlight of your career? Irrespective of his guilt or innocence, Floyd Landis deserves a bit more respect than would be seem to be displayed in the quote above. Raising yourself by pulling those down around you is PATHETIC. At least he'll be there and trying, irrespective of your approval and prognostication. If Landis wins so be. If Dave Weins or someone else wins, so be it. There is nothing PATHETIC in putting yourself on display for the world or whomever to see in the crucible of competition. Good luck and have a great race to all.

feel the Force
    Respect? Why should any of us, racers or riders, respect someone who has made a mockery of our sport? Irrespective of guilt or innocence, he is the face of what cycling has become; a joke to much of the world. No, I'm not raising myself at his expense, it's not about me. My point was that his fitness was lacking, and he'd better do some training in order to be competative.

P.S. I hope he had to enter the lottery like everyone else.
    Last edited by mtbjedi1; 06-05-2007 at 06:02 AM.

Tá mé ar meisce.
    Landis will get my respect regardless of how the media portrays all this. He is caught in a system that is flawed and regardless of his appeal result he will always be a Tour winner to me.
    Why? Because former Tour de France winner Bjarne Riis admitted using performance-enhancing drugs to win the Tour in 1996. He said he is willing to give his yellow jersey back. And what did Pat McQuaid, the president of cycling's international governing body say? Keep it. You will not be stripped of the championship. This is a double standard plain and simple.

Anyway sorry to rant. I would just love to see any of the race -- regardless of who participates
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

Grizzly
    How does an obvious lack of fitness reflect respect, or the lack thereof? Floyd said himself that he is out of shape. No shame in that, he has had a rough few months. But that does not change the fact that his fitness is nowhere near where it was last July.

He got whooped last weekend. No two ways to look at it. If he wants to compete for a win at Leadville, or any other MTB race, he'd do well to get that fitness back.

I don't see how stating these facts shows a lack of respect for Floyd.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

ballbuster
    Aw, give the guy a break. He had a hip replacement. That is major surgery. The guy is lucky to be out of a wheelchair.

I applaud the guy for even entering.... I guess as long as he shows up and does his best.

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    Wiens, WIENS. Sigh, same last name as the guy and it gets me every time you guys spellz it wrong.

mtbr member
    Respect? Why should any of us, racers or riders, respect someone who has made a mockery of our sport? Irrespective of guilt or innocence, he is the face of what cycling has become; a joke to much of the world.
    Guilty until proven innocent, eh? Illegal drug use is not unique to cycling. It's a problem in most sports.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

My concern is for the race

LT100 has a great history and a cult like following and I'd like to keep it out of controversy.. Like him, don't like him; Floyd is a suspended rider. As a result he cannot particpate in USAC sactioned races until his USADA/WADA cases are resolved that is why he was at Teva games. Ken- of LT100- has expressed a desire to have Floyd there irrespective of USAC's sanctions. Given the current climate, I would hate to have a disagreement between Ken and USAC that results in LT100 not being a USAC event next year.

As for Floyd's case, the more I read on the subject the more cycling has made itself a mockery. If you read WADA rules, positive in one lab may not be positive in another. The French lab managed to produce a mean and a standard devation that were essentially the same number. How much reliability is there in data like that?

Grizzly
    The word irrespective shows up a lot in this thread.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grayling
    LT100 has a great history and a cult like following and I'd like to keep it out of controversy.. Like him, don't like him; Floyd is a suspended rider. As a result he cannot particpate in USAC sactioned races until his USADA/WADA cases are resolved that is why he was at Teva games. Ken- of LT100- has expressed a desire to have Floyd there irrespective of USAC's sanctions. Given the current climate, I would hate to have a disagreement between Ken and USAC that results in LT100 not being a USAC event next year.
    Given that, in the end, I bet he doesn't race.

Quote Originally Posted by grayling
    As for Floyd's case, the more I read on the subject the more cycling has made itself a mockery. If you read WADA rules, positive in one lab may not be positive in another. The French lab managed to produce a mean and a standard devation that were essentially the same number. How much reliability is there in data like that?
    Agreed. As a quality professional, I'm appalled at all of this especially since a false positive can ruin one's career.

mtbr member
    He should come visit his parents and do the Wilderness 101 afterwards.

Shut up and ride
    you guys are lame, this is mtn biking not leg shaving big money road racing, a lot riders drink beer or smoke pot, so go do drugs or dont, cant we all just have fun and go race or ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I think Floyd has got balls to put himself out there with controversy boiling and with a body that is still on the mend. . . Ride on Floyd! We are looking forward to seeing you in Leadville!

mtbr member
    I don't doubt that Landis has doped just like all the others but I don't think they caught him for the right stuff. There are a lot of inconsistencies in lab results and all the leaks. I think they were going to make him guilty of doping no matter what. I don't like all the doping but at least catch riders fair. What would we find out if football and baseball players were tested like cyclists?

I'm not sure Ken and Merilee need NORBA. They provide a few officials and insurance but that can be found else where. I would be willing to guess for at least half of the racers the Leadville 100 is their only NORBA race of the year.

My doctor says that Lance still is going to race the Leadville 100. Maybe both Lance and Landis will show up but I think the changes are slim.

old enough to know better
    Mea culpa. I even Googled "Weins". It is misspelled all over. Darn, I hate it when you can't trust the Internet...

sadly, like the element
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by headhunter
    Mea culpa. I even Googled "Weins". It is misspelled all over. Darn, I hate it when you can't trust the Internet...
    Meh, it's just one of those things, the whole i before e and that jazz. Along the lines of the their, they're, there, and breaks and brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Good job! USAC sancitoning, what what WHAT!!!

WHo gives a craP! NORBA is no more, they can't even find an acronym or rules or anything else that will keep them afloat.

And as far as USAC goes, LET ME SEE, 2500 +++ applicants seeking to PAY 225$ to race and only 800ish spots. USAC is jerkin off to those numbers every night!

oh yea, and did I forget to mention no monetary pay out?!!

Tell, oh DO TELL, WHY? Oh WHY, does Leadville need ANYONE other than riders!?

[SIZE="5"]Sanction, they don't need no STINKIN' sanction! [/SIZE]

Ken and MeriLee could teach those guys a thing or two about race promotions

gimme an Amen! fella's

hey, if you think no sanction is gonna hurt Ken and MeriLee, STAY HOME! that is one more spot for someone WHO WANTS to be there. !

-6 GOLD goin' for 10 !!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

He should warm up at the Silver Rush 50

I might do that one...the LT100 is too long for me.