Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

La ruta...fraud!!!!

just got back.... here's the scoop...

course was easier this year than in the years past...on 3 days total, and day 3 was about 1/2 the normal length with virutally no climbing...just a longer TT..

day 1 was normal, but this year was extremely hot (101) through the 3 hour hike a bike jungle mud....

day 2 was up irazu volcano...weather was great...

day 3 was from siquierres to limon....totally flat...

ON THE BIKE, THE COMPETITICION WAS FUN....

once the bike got put away, logisics were a total nightmare....the staff had no idea which hotels we were at, no idea where to get the shuttles...etc.....

we got forced into $31 plates of pasta....

we paid $1300 more than the locals....

stayed in shyt motels...

on day 2 i finished at 11am and didn't get to the hotel til 9pm....thats 10 hours after a combined 13 hours in the saddle...totally unexceptable.

i can go on and on...but im not...id never again participate and support la ruta...its a total tourist trap and thats it...$50 for massages!?!?!? its costa rica.....better be a happy massage....

$60 to spray my bike down after each day....cost extra to do any other work

$180 to transfer bike to/fro san jose....if u take a local bus its $13.....

TOTAL TOURIST TRAP......never never never would i go again..

last year one 1 cyclist got jacked at gunpoint for his bicycle....same year the locals put a bee hive under the train tressel....ticos holding on to cars passing you up the hills...

day 2 finish was a banana plantation....i got beat by a tico by 23 minutes that i passed on a downhill in town...he cut the course..

i heard from other foreigners that they witnessed guys starting out on a hardtail and finishing on a FS....or getting transported in the back of cars.....the whole race is a total tourist trap for money...in 2008 it was $500...now its $1750 not including all the other crap....seriously....$1750 for 3 days of racing in a 3rd world country not including everything.......

the volunteer staff really tried hard but they had no clue what was going on....roman urbano is a fraud...he lost his hotel, his house, his car and has the nickname by locals as "bridge burner".....he's a fraud...never agian would i put my money towards anything he runs.....

i can't express into words how terrible the event was run..imagine spending 8 hours on the saddle and finishing with nowhere to go....for hours....and knowing you had a huge day the next 2 days...you'd get onto 1 shuttle, then kicked off, then reboarded, then kicked off....etc.....then your name is "not on the list" so you'd have to purchase your hotel, which should have been included....fraud fraud fraud....

if you participated in this years event please comment.....i don't want people to think im some bitter cyclist....

im truly not...i finished 26/310 in the open category..my bike ran great and my body did too....i worked as hard as i could for 16 hours.....i was really proud of myself....

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    WTH were you thinking...going to 3rd world country to race your bike. Sorry to hear your misfortune.
    12' Sir9 Rigid
    11' Jabber Rigid
    10 SJ SS rigid
    10' Swork SS 29er
    10' Tallboy
    08' RM Vertex SS

I'm with stupid
    Wow that sucks!! At least your bike and you worked well together.

Merendon Junkie
    1750 dollars for la ruta!!!!!! Does that include airplane tickets from the US? I assume your talking about "la ruta de los conquistadores". 1750 dollars sounds like a total rip off, even if airplane tickets from the US were included. $60/bike washdown wtf???? Those prices make it sound like the race was held in year 2120. That is just crazy. I know about a dude from Honduras that went to la ruta this year and paid something around 500 dollars for the event, and in my opinion, that still seems excessive. I will attending the "travesia de montecristo" in the end of this month. Its 3 days and about 150 kms total. It spans routes in Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala. Even though I heard it is not nearly as tough and competitive as la ruta and it doesnt have its prestige and renoun, the fee I paid for the whole event, including hotels and meals was 150 dollars. I paid 20 bucks more for land transport from El salvador back to Honduras when the event is over. The bikewash package is another 10 bucks for the whole 3 days. Im truly sorry for your bad experience. If the fees you mention are indeed correct, I will be removing la ruta from the bucket.

Cheers,
    Abel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    ...I will be removing la ruta from the bucket.
    wow. its officially off my bucket list as well til i hear otherwise.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for the info, that is off the list.

mtbr member
    I just got back from La Ruta as well. Even the locals said it was a sh!t show and that they would never do it again. I was expecting a race that would blow me away and LaRuta wasn't that spectacular, nor could it be called the toughest bike race in the world. TransRockies and BCBR are tougher and more epic than La Ruta. But oh well it's now off my bucket list.
    I fortunately did the Carmichael package and lived like a king for a week. We had great accommodations, great food, proper shuttles between points, our own massage therapists, 4 mechanics, our own vehicle at the check points where all you had to do is grab a bite and they oiled the chain, fixed any mechanicals, cleaned my glasses etc, etc. Yes it was pricey but we got what we paid for. Other than a few souvenirs, I didn't open my wallet all week.
    I registered in the 40-49 category but for some reason they put me in the open men and wouldn't change me back. Got 24th in the open category, otherwise would have been 5th with my respective old dudes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    1750 did not include the airfare...or the $400 united charged to haul my bike back and forth....
    its ****.....roman is ****....

i should have done the carmichael package but as stated by bikes in the mud..the course wasn't difficult and the race is not "epic"....

what a joke....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikesinmud View Post
    I just got back from La Ruta as well. Even the locals said it was a sh!t show and that they would never do it again. I was expecting a race that would blow me away and LaRuta wasn't that spectacular, nor could it be called the toughest bike race in the world. TransRockies and BCBR are tougher and more epic than La Ruta. But oh well it's now off my bucket list.
    I fortunately did the Carmichael package and lived like a king for a week. We had great accommodations, great food, proper shuttles between points, our own massage therapists, 4 mechanics, our own vehicle at the check points where all you had to do is grab a bite and they oiled the chain, fixed any mechanicals, cleaned my glasses etc, etc. Yes it was pricey but we got what we paid for. Other than a few souvenirs, I didn't open my wallet all week.
    I registered in the 40-49 category but for some reason they put me in the open men and wouldn't change me back. Got 24th in the open category, otherwise would have been 5th with my respective old dudes.
    You paid $11k for the Carmichael package? Was that on top of the 1750 entry? I thought I was immune to sticker shock on bike racing from chasing the nue series and getting a new bike every year but holy **** that is some coin to drop for a bike race.

mtbr member
    No, not 11k! I think that price also included the LaRuta recon camp they had in september. Mine was $3600. I registered early so my entry was only 1250 which was on top of the $3600.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    ouch $4,850 not including airfare...i feel for ya man....that is brutal..especially for such a lame event....

daniel boom, erica, and others worked hard but they had no idea what was going on.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seoulriding View Post
    ouch $4,850 not including airfare...i feel for ya man....that is brutal..especially for such a lame event....

daniel boom, erica, and others worked hard but they had no idea what was going on.....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the money I dished out for the Carmichael pkg 'cause it was well worth it. Because I had such a good experience with CTS I'll be doing many more events in the future with them. Now, if I would have had a experience like yours at that price then I'd be pissed. The CTS group made my first experience with La Ruta well worth mentioning and they truly delivered. I was just expecting more from the race itself, other than the volcano decent it was nothing a cross bike couldn't handle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

cx

funny u say that...i was say a cx bike would have been perfect for day 1/3.....perfect...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

singletrack

on another note......to be called themost epic mtb race in the world...we rode 3 days, and didn't do 10 feet of singletrack....i want my money back!!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Yaw, I thought about all that as I lightly thought about it. That area is known for thugs and theft.

mtbr member
    Great result, congrats! Sorry you had problems. Kinda sounds like you have buyers remorse, though.

I can't recall any major complaints from my group of 7. We enjoyed the event.

I was one of the slowest guys out there, and got to the finish late, so I didn't have to wait for a ride. I was surviving, not racing. I was kind of glad that it was "La Ruta Lite", because I'm old, undertained, and overweight. I found the support and the food decent.

The first night's hotel at the Conde' was good, two separate bedrooms, kitchen, washer dryer. The second night's not so great, but acceptable. Took an hour+ to get there because the driver wouldn't listen to me. His boss told him to take me somewhere else. I speak some Spanish, which helps.

I thought the raft trip was lots of fun. I've never been rafting before.

We registered early, and paid $400 less. Still not cheap, but no one forced me to participate. We organized our own transportation to the start and back from the finish for $100 each total, and stayed a night in Playa Bonita and partied. United charged me only $40 (so far, I'm still in SJ, CR).

It's Latin America, things seem chaotic, but usually work out fine. I guess that's what I like about the place.

I won't do it again, but I'm glad I did it.
    Tequila is a pallid flame that passes through walls and soars over tile roofs to allay despair. A. Mutis

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Holy crap. Myself and a few others were planning on doing this for 2013. This upsets me terribly! Any chance maybe you were just the one who got the short end of the stick? I'm not talking about the difficulty, but the costs and chaos and cheating will seriously set me off. If this was an isolated person or incident, that is one thing, but if everybody was pissed off then that is another. The race cost is ridiculous, but if I'll be scammed every time I turn around down there somebody's gonna get stabbed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    nope...ask any other foreigner...im truly surprised to hear what the last post said...but,,,,guess since he was just :surviving" he didn't have to wait...if it took him 12 hours to finish and me 5, shows i had to wait multiple hours.....

also, he went with a group and set everything up himself.....i went solo, just to race. i thought that since i paid an a$$ load of money, some of the minor things would already be setup...

if you want to go race, go race....if you go there with shyt expectations then u might enjoy it...i thought it was supposed to be an epic race, and i was fooled...it was a joke....

go waste your money, or....................go to bc bike race or cape epic and have fun..ive done both and both are worth it...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Here's what I expect. I expect to pay the stated race fee and have everything covered regarding the race, nothing more. I expect a "4 to 5 star" hotel as they state. I expect not to get ripped off. I expect a hard race, the hardest race in the world, which 4 days and 40K worth of climbing would offer.

Are you sure you aren't just pissed that the race is ridiculously expensive and you went on a year it wasn't that hard? Just wondering, not doubting you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i feel ya

i expect not to wait on a shuttle line for 5 hours after spending 5 hours in the saddle. i expect dinner, not lunch at noon to be called dinner and have to go fend for myself...

i expect a 4-5 star hotel that does not include cockroaches and stained sheets with a tube tv...

i agree, i wish i would have picked a different year with more race days. but that also makes me worry...one more day of racing means one more day of not being on lists, one more day of not eating, one more day of waiting for shuttles and one more day for crap to go wrong....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    and as i say again..i signed up for a mountain bike race...i raced on the road, didn't hit 10 feet of singletrack....

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Wow, sounds like the Travesia de Montecristo might be a much better experience, and along the same lines as what LaRuta claims to offer.

LaRuta is not the first big mtb endurance race to build a big rep, then start overcharging and under-delivering.

I kind of get the overcharging aspect as you build your event. I mean, if your race is filling within days of registration opening (or you have a lottery to get in!) it's pretty hard not to think, hey, why not raise the price a bit?

But under--delivering is inexcusable. The amount of time, energy, and money we spend getting to the starting line of these events demands impeccable organization and execution.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    I do Not agree i race it And enjoy it a lot we were 28 mexicans And we all enjoy it nobody fools You we knew The race was 3 days And The lást one was rafting And Then flat one we were in a third. World country The delay on day 3 transfer was fue to a road closing Because of The rain

We rode a legend And enjoy it if You want 5 star service go to The marriot

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Two words: Breck Epic

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Or try the Colorado Endurance Series and pay nothing and have a better time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast