Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    giddy up!

Kokopelli trail race

Are any of you thinking of racing/riding the Kokopelli Trail Race this year?

Also, any female finishers of the KTR yet?

Thanks,

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    I'd like to know if there have been any female finishers too. I'm thinking about doing it in the spring. Anybody know?

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by fairyweatherider
    I'd like to know if there have been any female finishers too. I'm thinking about doing it in the spring. Anybody know?
    I did it last year and there was one female there but I'm pretty sure she didn't finish. I think she was the first to try, but I definitely may be wrong!

Has the race even been announced by Mike?

I'm interested in doing it.

I was going to send MC a note to find out whether it was going to happen and what the logistics would be. I think someone on MTBR has an Endurance Race web site that includes info on it. I saw it a few days ago. I will look.

*edit* here is that link I referred to: 2006 Calendar shaping up at Ride424.com and here is the Endurance link: http://www.ride424.com/calendar.php

Keep scrolling down to May 2006, it's there The contact info is in the Journals link.
    Last edited by edemtbs; 10-31-2005 at 01:38 PM. Reason: link

EVM
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    Koko is a fantastic race. The self supported element adds another dimension to the event for sure. I believe MC has already announced it on the ride424.com calendar. It can be viewed at www.ride424.com/calendar.php

I had asked about a women's record last year, and no one could give an answer. I gave it a go last year and made it to Rabbit Valley when my body got all wierd with low electrolytes and such. I decided to bail at the Interstate, and vowed to come back in 2006. Hell, maybe even do it twice for good measure....it's such a great trail.........have fun if you go!

erika v.

I read about it in the Mountain Flyer magazine

Quote Originally Posted by EVM
    Koko is a fantastic race.
    It does sound like a very cool race and low key, nice. Good luck next year EVM.

This place needs an enema
    Geez you guys--it's still 7.5 months away...

Don't you have snowboards to wax...

..or somethin'...?!

I did announce it on the ride424 website. I'm working on a website for the Koko, Grand Loop, and GDR races. Probably not before 1/1/06, but hopefully by then.

Many women have ridden the Kokopelli route, but as yet none have completed the race. There have been rumors of women completing the route in a day, but none confirmed.
    At least one woman will finish the race in '06. How do I know? Sheer numbers. If even half of the women that have contacted me about the event show up, at least one of them will finish. I'm betting that EVM will be one of them, but I'll also bet that she has company.

An even better question is, how many (men or women) will attempt the Grand Loop, and what percentage will finish? My guess is 9 starters and 2 finishers. Is it really that hard? Actually, it's WAY harder...

MC

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee

..or somethin'...?!

I did announce it on the ride424 website. I'm working on a website for the Koko, Grand Loop, and GDR races. Probably not before 1/1/06, but hopefully by then.

Many women have ridden the Kokopelli route, but as yet none have completed the race. There have been rumors of women completing the route in a day, but none confirmed.
    At least one woman will finish the race in '06. How do I know? Sheer numbers. If even half of the women that have contacted me about the event show up, at least one of them will finish. I'm betting that EVM will be one of them, but I'll also bet that she has company.

An even better question is, how many (men or women) will attempt the Grand Loop, and what percentage will finish? My guess is 9 starters and 2 finishers. Is it really that hard? Actually, it's WAY harder...

MC
    Where's the grand loop take place?

You'll be happy to hear the Cinnamon raisin peanut butter now comes in a plastic jar so perhaps shipping won't be such a hassle. I'm averaging a jar a week...

Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    Where's the grand loop take place?
    The Grand Loop starts at Loma, follows the Kokopelli to the high point of the La Sals, then turns south onto the Paradox Trail. Follow that through the la Sals, descend into and across the Paradox Valley and then climb all day to top out at 10k on the Uncompahgre Plateau. Which is where you turn left onto the Tabeguache Trail, which you follow for the next 115+ miles back to GJ. Total distance is ~340 miles. Total climbing 45,000'+.

More here:
    http://mtbike.mountainzone.com/2001/...oop_index.html
    http://www.zipp.com/athletes/adventu...ctations.shtml
    http://www.airborne.net/eready/janette/PR-060203.asp

That should give you an idea, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    You'll be happy to hear the Cinnamon raisin peanut butter now comes in a plastic jar so perhaps shipping won't be such a hassle. I'm averaging a jar a week...
    Ba$tard! Hit me when I'm weak, why dontcha?? I ran out last week... Soon as I get my PayPal balance back in the black I'll be callin' on ya...

MC

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I am DEFINITELY

psyched on doing the race.

The self-support element makes it that more enticing.

I got Walt to build up a frame. And I'm going to have Mike C build up the wheels (you'll get that email in a month, Mike)

I just hope once they take out the Ti hardware out of my leg (long story), the bones will fill in by race day.

And if not, I can at least shoot for the title of "The Guy Who Finished the Race with a Drilled-out Tibia"

By the way...

I need to scout that area and the KTR course. I am familiar with Fruita/Loma/Mack/Rabbit Valley but beyond that I'm pretty much clueless. So I'll need to be scouting and will probably do some now through when it snows too much.

Anyone that wants to join send a PM.

As for the Grand Loop, well, one step at a time for me. Never letting us rest on our laurels are you MC?

Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    I need to scout that area and the KTR course. I am familiar with Fruita/Loma/Mack/Rabbit Valley but beyond that I'm pretty much clueless. So I'll need to be scouting and will probably do some now through when it snows too much.
    From Rabbit Valley all the way to Dewey can be ridden pretty much all winter. There may be a day or two (right after a storm) where it's goopy, but I rode all of it many times last winter--including Jan and Feb. Even much of the climb up from Dewey, as well as between Slickrock and Porc Rim (and maybe a bit beyond, but not much). Really, the only places that aren't rideable year-round on the trail are the higher elevations in the La Sals.

Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    As for the Grand Loop, well, one step at a time for me. Never letting us rest on our laurels are you MC?
    Wouldn't want to disappoint you...

MC

giddy up!

..or somethin'...?!

MC
    But it'll take that long for me to get fit enough to try it!

And snow......what's that?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Blue Dot Junkie

there with bells on.

My wife & I will be there. We're hoping to get into more and more endurance racing this year and the koko sounds like a lot of fun. We rode it with BOB's this June and loved every mile of it.
    I earn my living building Siren Bicycles

...master of none
    Emily Loman did Kokopelli in a day in 2003. Trip report at http://www.climbingdreams.net/life/2003/kokopelli/

bock

Very Nice!! Good to see someone step up to verify the rumors.

Remember the "KT Race" itself is unsupported.

Quote Originally Posted by 514Climber
    psyched on doing the race.
    The self-support element makes it that more enticing.
    I got Walt to build up a frame. And I'm going to have Mike C build up the wheels (you'll get that email in a month, Mike)
    Glad you're thinking about racing. Heal well and the race should take care of itself.

I'll be expecting the "wheel email"...

MC

Quote Originally Posted by bock
    Emily Loman did Kokopelli in a day in 2003. Trip report at http://www.climbingdreams.net/life/2003/kokopelli/

bock
    Thanks for the update, and for confirming what we suspected was true.

For anyone that's reading this, but hasn't read the link above, it looks like the female course record is ~24hrs. It needs to be noted that that was with support.

Please let Emily know that she's invited to race with the rest of us this spring.

Cheers,

MC

giddy up!
    Thanks for the update, and for confirming what we suspected was true.

For anyone that's reading this, but hasn't read the link above, it looks like the female course record is ~24hrs. It needs to be noted that that was with support.

Please let Emily know that she's invited to race with the rest of us this spring.

Cheers,

MC
    Mike-

Out of curiosity....what's the geared record?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Kokopelli Records

Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Mike-
    Out of curiosity....what's the geared record?
    B
    The records stand at:
    Geared: 14 hours 17 minutes (Mike Curiak, 2004)
    Single speed: 14 hours, 43 minutes (Jon Brown, 2005)

To the best of my knowledge, no woman has finished it in a day and self supported. So the first women to finish this year (geared and single) will be the official KTR course record holders.

And while I'm sure we're not far off from having a fixed gear rider and a cx-bike finisher, we're going to limit the record keeping to geared and single.

Curious side note about the records: In 2003 the record was set at 16 hours. Up to that point it had never been done faster than 19 hours. But why? A big part of it is that no one had really ever tried to go fast, but even bigger was that the ~5 years previous to that saw very dry winter/spring seasons, and so the sand was very deep and really slowed us down. the past three years' races have seen very wet (relatively) conditions in the weeks leading up, which has allowed racers to go much faster because of minimal walking. What we get next year is anyone guess right now, but be warned--the drought will return and when it does we won't be breaking 15 hours...

MC

Just go ride!

Kokopelli in a Day

Just found this thread. Still fairly new to the MTBR scene. Thanks for posting my Kokopelli trip report, Bock! We had never even heard of the "official KTR" when we did the ride in 2003. Pretty cool to find out that Emily may be the first woman to have ridden it in a day. She's also the youngest (man or woman) *ever* to have finished the Hardrock 100 footrace. I think she's completed it 4 or 5 times by now. She's currently pregnant and unlikely to do the race next year though. However, I'd like to give it a shot. I think I could manage an 18-20 hour time. Sub-15 is friggin' incredible!

I believe my friend Buzz rode the trail solo and unsupported in 1999 in around 15 hours, but he opted to skip the Yellowjacket loop. Peter Bakwin and Steph Ehret *ran* the trail in 32 hours last year! Holy Smokes!

http://www.geocities.com/pbakwin/kokopelli.html

Cheers,
    Stefan

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Good job! Two In

I'm In And I Know One Girl Who Will Be There.i Missed Last Year
    Due To Work But Not This Year!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Female record

I read on the Adventure Sports Magazine that adventure racer Dannelle Ballangee rode Kokopelli in 24hrs - might check with her before you crown anyone.

Just go ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by mphart
    I read on the Adventure Sports Magazine that adventure racer Dannelle Ballangee rode Kokopelli in 24hrs - might check with her before you crown anyone.
    Geeesh! I wasn't "crowning" anyone - just thought it was cool that Emily *may* have been the first woman to do it in a day. I wouldn't be surprised a bit if Danelle has ridden it in a day. Or in well under 24 hours for that matter. There is no question that she could do it easily.

Just go ride!

Quote from AS

From Adventure Sports Magazine:

One of the beauties of the Kokopelli is that there is no one way to ride it. Some go Fruita to Moab, others Moab to Fruita. A three-day voyage with some type of caching or support vehicle is the standard for advanced riders, while most tour operators run a fairly leisurely five-day trek. Adventure racing’s reigning queen, Danelle Ballangee, has ticked it off in just over 24 hours as a training ride. It has been completed in three days, unsupported, on single-speed bikes. And endurance god Mike Curiak hammered it in 16 hours last May in the Kokopelli Mountain Bike Race. No matter, the Kokopelli is more than just a long ride. It’s far harder than it seems, but over and over on the trail you lose yourself in the landscape.

Read the full article here.

When I rode it with Emily, we rode from Fruita to Moab.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast