Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    giddy up!

Kokopelli trail race

Are any of you thinking of racing/riding the Kokopelli Trail Race this year?

Also, any female finishers of the KTR yet?

Thanks,

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

mtbr member
    I'd like to know if there have been any female finishers too. I'm thinking about doing it in the spring. Anybody know?

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by fairyweatherider
    I'd like to know if there have been any female finishers too. I'm thinking about doing it in the spring. Anybody know?
    I did it last year and there was one female there but I'm pretty sure she didn't finish. I think she was the first to try, but I definitely may be wrong!

Has the race even been announced by Mike?

I'm interested in doing it.

I was going to send MC a note to find out whether it was going to happen and what the logistics would be. I think someone on MTBR has an Endurance Race web site that includes info on it. I saw it a few days ago. I will look.

*edit* here is that link I referred to: 2006 Calendar shaping up at Ride424.com and here is the Endurance link: http://www.ride424.com/calendar.php

Keep scrolling down to May 2006, it's there The contact info is in the Journals link.
    Last edited by edemtbs; 10-31-2005 at 01:38 PM. Reason: link

EVM
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    Koko is a fantastic race. The self supported element adds another dimension to the event for sure. I believe MC has already announced it on the ride424.com calendar. It can be viewed at www.ride424.com/calendar.php

I had asked about a women's record last year, and no one could give an answer. I gave it a go last year and made it to Rabbit Valley when my body got all wierd with low electrolytes and such. I decided to bail at the Interstate, and vowed to come back in 2006. Hell, maybe even do it twice for good measure....it's such a great trail.........have fun if you go!

erika v.

I read about it in the Mountain Flyer magazine

Quote Originally Posted by EVM
    Koko is a fantastic race.
    It does sound like a very cool race and low key, nice. Good luck next year EVM.

This place needs an enema
    Geez you guys--it's still 7.5 months away...

Don't you have snowboards to wax...

..or somethin'...?!

I did announce it on the ride424 website. I'm working on a website for the Koko, Grand Loop, and GDR races. Probably not before 1/1/06, but hopefully by then.

Many women have ridden the Kokopelli route, but as yet none have completed the race. There have been rumors of women completing the route in a day, but none confirmed.
    At least one woman will finish the race in '06. How do I know? Sheer numbers. If even half of the women that have contacted me about the event show up, at least one of them will finish. I'm betting that EVM will be one of them, but I'll also bet that she has company.

An even better question is, how many (men or women) will attempt the Grand Loop, and what percentage will finish? My guess is 9 starters and 2 finishers. Is it really that hard? Actually, it's WAY harder...

MC
    Handbuilt wheels: www.LaceMine29.com

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee

..or somethin'...?!

I did announce it on the ride424 website. I'm working on a website for the Koko, Grand Loop, and GDR races. Probably not before 1/1/06, but hopefully by then.

Many women have ridden the Kokopelli route, but as yet none have completed the race. There have been rumors of women completing the route in a day, but none confirmed.
    At least one woman will finish the race in '06. How do I know? Sheer numbers. If even half of the women that have contacted me about the event show up, at least one of them will finish. I'm betting that EVM will be one of them, but I'll also bet that she has company.

An even better question is, how many (men or women) will attempt the Grand Loop, and what percentage will finish? My guess is 9 starters and 2 finishers. Is it really that hard? Actually, it's WAY harder...

MC
    Where's the grand loop take place?

You'll be happy to hear the Cinnamon raisin peanut butter now comes in a plastic jar so perhaps shipping won't be such a hassle. I'm averaging a jar a week...

Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    Where's the grand loop take place?
    The Grand Loop starts at Loma, follows the Kokopelli to the high point of the La Sals, then turns south onto the Paradox Trail. Follow that through the la Sals, descend into and across the Paradox Valley and then climb all day to top out at 10k on the Uncompahgre Plateau. Which is where you turn left onto the Tabeguache Trail, which you follow for the next 115+ miles back to GJ. Total distance is ~340 miles. Total climbing 45,000'+.

More here:
    http://mtbike.mountainzone.com/2001/...oop_index.html
    http://www.zipp.com/athletes/adventu...ctations.shtml
    http://www.airborne.net/eready/janette/PR-060203.asp

That should give you an idea, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    You'll be happy to hear the Cinnamon raisin peanut butter now comes in a plastic jar so perhaps shipping won't be such a hassle. I'm averaging a jar a week...
    Ba$tard! Hit me when I'm weak, why dontcha?? I ran out last week... Soon as I get my PayPal balance back in the black I'll be callin' on ya...

MC

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I am DEFINITELY

psyched on doing the race.

The self-support element makes it that more enticing.

I got Walt to build up a frame. And I'm going to have Mike C build up the wheels (you'll get that email in a month, Mike)

I just hope once they take out the Ti hardware out of my leg (long story), the bones will fill in by race day.

And if not, I can at least shoot for the title of "The Guy Who Finished the Race with a Drilled-out Tibia"

By the way...

I need to scout that area and the KTR course. I am familiar with Fruita/Loma/Mack/Rabbit Valley but beyond that I'm pretty much clueless. So I'll need to be scouting and will probably do some now through when it snows too much.

Anyone that wants to join send a PM.

As for the Grand Loop, well, one step at a time for me. Never letting us rest on our laurels are you MC?

Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    I need to scout that area and the KTR course. I am familiar with Fruita/Loma/Mack/Rabbit Valley but beyond that I'm pretty much clueless. So I'll need to be scouting and will probably do some now through when it snows too much.
    From Rabbit Valley all the way to Dewey can be ridden pretty much all winter. There may be a day or two (right after a storm) where it's goopy, but I rode all of it many times last winter--including Jan and Feb. Even much of the climb up from Dewey, as well as between Slickrock and Porc Rim (and maybe a bit beyond, but not much). Really, the only places that aren't rideable year-round on the trail are the higher elevations in the La Sals.

Quote Originally Posted by edemtbs
    As for the Grand Loop, well, one step at a time for me. Never letting us rest on our laurels are you MC?
    Wouldn't want to disappoint you...

MC

giddy up!

..or somethin'...?!

MC
    But it'll take that long for me to get fit enough to try it!

And snow......what's that?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Blue Dot Junkie

there with bells on.

My wife & I will be there. We're hoping to get into more and more endurance racing this year and the koko sounds like a lot of fun. We rode it with BOB's this June and loved every mile of it.
    I own and work at Hub Cyclery, Idyllwild CA

...master of none
    Emily Loman did Kokopelli in a day in 2003. Trip report at http://www.climbingdreams.net/life/2003/kokopelli/

bock

Very Nice!! Good to see someone step up to verify the rumors.

Remember the "KT Race" itself is unsupported.

Quote Originally Posted by 514Climber
    psyched on doing the race.
    The self-support element makes it that more enticing.
    I got Walt to build up a frame. And I'm going to have Mike C build up the wheels (you'll get that email in a month, Mike)
    Glad you're thinking about racing. Heal well and the race should take care of itself.

I'll be expecting the "wheel email"...

MC

Quote Originally Posted by bock
    Emily Loman did Kokopelli in a day in 2003. Trip report at http://www.climbingdreams.net/life/2003/kokopelli/

bock
    Thanks for the update, and for confirming what we suspected was true.

For anyone that's reading this, but hasn't read the link above, it looks like the female course record is ~24hrs. It needs to be noted that that was with support.

Please let Emily know that she's invited to race with the rest of us this spring.

Cheers,

MC

giddy up!
    Thanks for the update, and for confirming what we suspected was true.

For anyone that's reading this, but hasn't read the link above, it looks like the female course record is ~24hrs. It needs to be noted that that was with support.

Please let Emily know that she's invited to race with the rest of us this spring.

Cheers,

MC
    Mike-

Out of curiosity....what's the geared record?

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Kokopelli Records

Quote Originally Posted by donkey
    Mike-
    Out of curiosity....what's the geared record?
    B
    The records stand at:
    Geared: 14 hours 17 minutes (Mike Curiak, 2004)
    Single speed: 14 hours, 43 minutes (Jon Brown, 2005)

To the best of my knowledge, no woman has finished it in a day and self supported. So the first women to finish this year (geared and single) will be the official KTR course record holders.

And while I'm sure we're not far off from having a fixed gear rider and a cx-bike finisher, we're going to limit the record keeping to geared and single.

Curious side note about the records: In 2003 the record was set at 16 hours. Up to that point it had never been done faster than 19 hours. But why? A big part of it is that no one had really ever tried to go fast, but even bigger was that the ~5 years previous to that saw very dry winter/spring seasons, and so the sand was very deep and really slowed us down. the past three years' races have seen very wet (relatively) conditions in the weeks leading up, which has allowed racers to go much faster because of minimal walking. What we get next year is anyone guess right now, but be warned--the drought will return and when it does we won't be breaking 15 hours...

MC

Just go ride!

Kokopelli in a Day

Just found this thread. Still fairly new to the MTBR scene. Thanks for posting my Kokopelli trip report, Bock! We had never even heard of the "official KTR" when we did the ride in 2003. Pretty cool to find out that Emily may be the first woman to have ridden it in a day. She's also the youngest (man or woman) *ever* to have finished the Hardrock 100 footrace. I think she's completed it 4 or 5 times by now. She's currently pregnant and unlikely to do the race next year though. However, I'd like to give it a shot. I think I could manage an 18-20 hour time. Sub-15 is friggin' incredible!

I believe my friend Buzz rode the trail solo and unsupported in 1999 in around 15 hours, but he opted to skip the Yellowjacket loop. Peter Bakwin and Steph Ehret *ran* the trail in 32 hours last year! Holy Smokes!

http://www.geocities.com/pbakwin/kokopelli.html

Cheers,
    Stefan

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Good job! Two In

I'm In And I Know One Girl Who Will Be There.i Missed Last Year
    Due To Work But Not This Year!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Female record

I read on the Adventure Sports Magazine that adventure racer Dannelle Ballangee rode Kokopelli in 24hrs - might check with her before you crown anyone.

Just go ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by mphart
    I read on the Adventure Sports Magazine that adventure racer Dannelle Ballangee rode Kokopelli in 24hrs - might check with her before you crown anyone.
    Geeesh! I wasn't "crowning" anyone - just thought it was cool that Emily *may* have been the first woman to do it in a day. I wouldn't be surprised a bit if Danelle has ridden it in a day. Or in well under 24 hours for that matter. There is no question that she could do it easily.

Just go ride!

Quote from AS

From Adventure Sports Magazine:

One of the beauties of the Kokopelli is that there is no one way to ride it. Some go Fruita to Moab, others Moab to Fruita. A three-day voyage with some type of caching or support vehicle is the standard for advanced riders, while most tour operators run a fairly leisurely five-day trek. Adventure racing’s reigning queen, Danelle Ballangee, has ticked it off in just over 24 hours as a training ride. It has been completed in three days, unsupported, on single-speed bikes. And endurance god Mike Curiak hammered it in 16 hours last May in the Kokopelli Mountain Bike Race. No matter, the Kokopelli is more than just a long ride. It’s far harder than it seems, but over and over on the trail you lose yourself in the landscape.

Read the full article here.

When I rode it with Emily, we rode from Fruita to Moab.

mtbr member
    What exactly does unsupported mean? Can you cache stuff on the route to pick up or have to have everything with you on the start line?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

That's a great question

and one that I've been wondering myself.

Perhaps it will be a good idea to get a general agreement on what is and what is not allowed...?

Personally, I interpret the rules to mean:

NO outside food/water support.

NO outside mech support.

NO outside medical support.

NO pre-planned pacelines.

Of course, if I come across someone who needed mechanical or medical help, I will do what I can - which includes calling for paramedics. I still haven't done my pre-rides, so I need to check if I get phone reception out there. And there's always walkie-talkies...

What makes this race so appealing to me is the fact that not only do you have to be a strong rider, you also have to be self-reliant.
    Last edited by 514Climber; 11-26-2005 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fairyweatherider
    What exactly does unsupported mean? Can you cache stuff on the route to pick up or have to have everything with you on the start line?
    No caches, no drops, no sag vehicles. Carry all that you need or do without.

The one exception is water--if you find it (in streams, creeks, rivers) you can filter or treat it and take it with you. You can also plan to ride off-course to get water (Westwater Ranger Station) or food (Cisco store if it's open) but both of those options will cost you time if you're trying to go fast.

The guiding principal is to be self-supported. As in NO outside assistance. That means you need to be prepared for all conditions you'll get out there, from 25 degrees in the wee hours to 100+ in the afternoon. You need to have food and light to get you through from start to finish, however long that may take. One racer took 24+ hours to finish last year, and there might have been more that finished if they had been better prepared.

And (here's the important part) while there are other people out there riding, 4-wheeling, camping, etc... the spirit of the race is to not lean on these people for assistance unless you're in a bad situation that can't be solved on your own. That means a broken leg or a broken frame. Just because you decided to skip filtering water at the last creek does not mean that someone else should come to rescue your dehydrated carcass. If you bring a CO2 inflator instead of a pump, and it malfunctions or you run out of cartridges, don't ask someone else to save your ass. Start hoofing it and, as you walk, think about the error of your ways.

I'm sure it seems to some people that this is excessively puritanical. Call it whatever you want. It is a race for adults that know what they're getting into and how to take care of themselves. If you don't agree or aren't into that, there are plenty of 24-hour and 100-mile events out there that will scratch your particular itch.

Thanks,

MC

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

It's settled then...

Clear and concise rules - which, of course, reduce the potential for any misinterpretation.

A race like the KTR should exist...Not to feed egos, and certainly not to say one form of racing is better than another.

It should just exist...

I'll see you all next spring!
    Last edited by 514Climber; 11-26-2005 at 12:55 PM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    I think you may be seeing me there too

Spirit of the ride.

Clear and concise rules - which, of course, reduce the potential for any misinterpretation.

A race like the KTR should exist...Not to feed egos, and certainly not to say one form of racing is better than another.

It should just exist...

I'll see you all next spring!
    I hope the spirit of the ride remains just as you describe it because that is what attracts me to it.

I was there 2 weeks ago starting on the CO side to do some pre-riding. Day 1 I succumbed to Mary's Loop and rode every trail there in one shot. So much for expanding my horizons. Day 2 I finally broke away and rode the Kokopelli proper from Mack to Westwater and back. I succumbed again though and rode the Westwater singletrack that parallels the official KT route. Oh well Got back to the car in the pitch dark.

I was going to go out again this weekend to continue pre-riding from Westwater and go further west but with the major change in the weather decided against it. The skis are calling to me.

Not sure I've seen the official pronouncement on direction of the race this year. Since it went Moab to Fruita this year should we assume Fruita to Moab next year?

Ed E
    Last edited by edemtbs; 11-26-2005 at 05:56 PM.

rider
    Jan 2005

Sorry, but I just gotta know...

Ok Mike, I'll bite: given great conditions (soil moisture, creeks to take water from, astral alignments & ect.) how fast could the Grand Loop be done?

My wild guess is 55 hours.

29erchico

Quote Originally Posted by 29erchico
    Ok Mike, I'll bite: given great conditions (soil moisture, creeks to take water from, astral alignments & ect.) how fast could the Grand Loop be done? My wild guess is 55 hours.
    I wish I knew what that answer was, because then I wouldn't have to go do it again to try to find out!

Your guess of 55 hours might be possible in theory. I think if conditions were optimal and I was fit and didn't make any major mistakes I might be able to get close to 60. That's my goal anyway. But the route is so difficult, and the conditions so unpredictable, that you just pay your money (proverbially speaking) and take your chances, and if you happen to have it together enough to merely finish, you truly don't care about the time it took.

Here's to a wet winter, and early spring, and cool temps the first week of June...

MC

Just wanted to let everyone know that the Kokopelli Trail Race now has it's own webpage.

All together now:

AAAAAAWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwww...

Find it, and more KTR info, here:
    http://greatdividerace.com/_wsn/page4.html

Cheers,

MC

Excellent. Thanks.

FYI - the "2006 Kokopelli Discussion" link on your KTR website errors.

The Amazing Shrinking Man

I'd like to know how rough the trail actually is?

I'm thinking about 2007, my physical condition this year, while greatly improved is NOT up to doing it this year! However, 07 remains possible! I'd like to know about the actual terrain! Is it more equipment stress, rider stress or both together?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrowe
    I'd like to know about the actual terrain! Is it more equipment stress, rider stress or both together?
    It is 142 miles if you stay on course - 145 miles if you detour up to Westwater ranger station for a water refill. I'd say both together. Equipment stress depends greatly on the weather and rider stress depends on how smartly you have trained, fuel and pace on race day - and how bad you want it.

All in all it's a big undertaking.

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by LyndaW
    It is 142 miles if you stay on course - 145 miles if you detour up to Westwater ranger station for a water refill. I'd say both together. Equipment stress depends greatly on the weather and rider stress depends on how smartly you have trained, fuel and pace on race day - and how bad you want it.

All in all it's a big undertaking.
    Reason I was asking, I'm thinking about 2007. 2006 is NOT possible this year, due to lack of physical condition. As some background here:
    I've dropped 321 pounds since March this year. I've gone from a wheelchair to a mountainbike. I was on Oxygen at 10 liters/minute, due to pulmonary problems associated with my weight. I blew up due to a pituitary disorder and had bariatric surgery, and have made MAJOR inroads into my health problems, and have gotten to the point where I can ride 30-60 miles at a 15-18 mph pace on a mountainbike with an average of 500 foot fluctuations in terrain up and down. I am now off the oxygen and maintaining 97% saturation and not dropping below 85% even under stress while riding hills. Best I can do here in Indiana! Am I nuts to be thinking about this? Any advice to prepare for this event will be greatly appreciated! I think I can do this and that's half the battle! The other half is preparation! I can tell you this much, I WANT THIS SO BAD I CAN TASTE IT! I don't care if I place high, I only care if I finish it! Of course finishing in front would be nice though!

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    Wow! you've made amazing progress. I bet you feel like a million bucks. Good for you. With that attitude and progression KTR may be in your 2007 plan but you need to keep working up to it in baby steps.

I'd recommend doing a few long distance events that have options to bail out and have lots of support to test yourself before trying KTR. In 2006 try out a solo 6-hour then solo 12-hour race on a lapped course where you can do fewer laps and have a support crew check on you every hour. Then move onto a 100 miler with less support. Those are the steps to take enroute to a KTR finish.

Good job! Cool, you just described my gameplan to a T!

Quote Originally Posted by LyndaW
    Wow! you've made amazing progress. I bet you feel like a million bucks. Good for you. With that attitude and progression KTR may be in your 2007 plan but you need to keep working up to it in baby steps.

I'd recommend doing a few long distance events that have options to bail out and have lots of support to test yourself before trying KTR. In 2006 try out a solo 6-hour then solo 12-hour race on a lapped course where you can do fewer laps and have a support crew check on you every hour. Then move onto a 100 miler with less support. Those are the steps to take enroute to a KTR finish.
    Thanks for the Kudos, Lynda! Yeah, that is my general gameplan, along with 2 long tours, a 256 miler over Spring Break(I'm an overage College student) and a ride to Key West from central Indiana over summer break. I'll be competing in the 12 hrs of DINO in October, and plan to ride the Huntington County 140 on/off road 2 day as well in September. I'm currently able to hold HR in the 180's with no discomfort as well! Not bad for a fat 45 year old! By the way, I don't feel like a million bucks, you're a bit short! I feel like $10,000.00 compared to where I was a year ago! Maybe I'll see ya there! Keep spinnin!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Trail Condition

Has anyone been on the section at the end lately, down by Loma? It was really washed out and rutted (like 2' deep ruts) 2 years ago...which is the only time I have done it. Awesome ride otherwise.

Also, has anyone ever done this ride on a tandem?

Thanks,

Wade

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i've thought about it, and i've thought about it, and i'm in. i want to race the kokopelli this year. anything i need to do to get in? i had your email earlier mike, then i lost it. how many do you expect this year? there seems to be alot of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by jrwmojo
    i've thought about it, and i've thought about it, and i'm in. i want to race the kokopelli this year. anything i need to do to get in? i had your email earlier mike, then i lost it. how many do you expect this year? there seems to be alot of interest.
    People are coming out of the woodwork with questions and "commitments". How many? Won't know until race day.

All you need to do is show up at the pre-race meeting, then at the race start line. No entry fee, no registration.

See ya there.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by wadejr
    Has anyone been on the section at the end lately, down by Loma? It was really washed out and rutted (like 2' deep ruts) 2 years ago...which is the only time I have done it. Awesome ride otherwise.

Thanks,

Wade
    Some of the descent from the Rabbit Valley overlook to Salt Creek is as you describe--deep ruts. Combined with steep trail and very little use, it's a safe bet that it's not going to repair itself before the race. That means be prepared to dismount and walk unless you are an A+ tech rider and on top of your game after 130+ miles in the saddle.

No idea on the tandem ?.

Anyone?

MC

Ruts...

I was there in early/mid November and it was the same as in years past. Like MC said, don't expect it to change by race day.

Ed E

Quote Originally Posted by wadejr

Thanks,

Wade

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

A Logistic Question

How do you fellow racers plan to return to Moab?

I plan on parking in Moab - which means I'll need a shuttle back from Fruita.

Is there a shuttle service in Fruita that will give the racers a ride back? If so, how much will it cost?

How do you fellow racers plan to return to Moab?

I plan on parking in Moab - which means I'll need a shuttle back from Fruita.

Is there a shuttle service in Fruita that will give the racers a ride back? If so, how much will it cost?
    We usually just find a group with similar schedules, and do the car shuttle beforehand so that when you hit the finish your car is there.

Chris Kostman browbeat me into agreeing to ride from GJ back to Moab (the day after the race) last year. But then he didn't show up...

I don't know of a shuttle service--maybe just wait until the date gets closer and then we can start to match people up with rides.

MC

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thanks

I'll definitely have to get in the loop for that shuttle service. As race day approaches let's all do our best to coordinate a viable schedule.

I am more than happy to kick in $$$ for gas.

Peace and happy training everyone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm considering this race. Not sure if it's going to work out with my work schedule yet. I have a boatload of questions but I won't ask them all at once. First off, tires. I run a GF 29'er. I was thinking of trying Maxxis Ignitors and running them tubeless with Stans. Is this a good tire choice for the Kokopelli Trail? I have run Stans in my 26 inch tires with good results. Although Stans doesn't recommend any folding tires with a 29 conversion, it sounds like many have had good luck running the Maxxis Ignitors. Any thoughts!!!

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by 71 10-7
    I'm considering this race. Not sure if it's going to work out with my work schedule yet. I have a boatload of questions but I won't ask them all at once. First off, tires. I run a GF 29'er. I was thinking of trying Maxxis Ignitors and running them tubeless with Stans. Is this a good tire choice for the Kokopelli Trail? I have run Stans in my 26 inch tires with good results. Although Stans doesn't recommend any folding tires with a 29 conversion, it sounds like many have had good luck running the Maxxis Ignitors. Any thoughts!!!
    i used the same tires front and rear for it last year and would have no reason to consider using any other tire. they worked perfectly fine. I used tubes though. Zero flats.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast