Look out!

Knobby Tire Series 9 to 5

For all you endurance racers out there. An 8 hour race will be held just outside Boise Idaho on June 12th. A nine mile loop with some techy spots, single track heaven, steep pitches up and long bombing descents. For more information go to www.knobbytireseries.com and click on races page. I did a pre-ride of the course, details can be seen http://connect.garmin.com/activity/34569459. Make a trip to Boise for some fun!
    Last edited by mtnbkrid; 05-26-2010 at 02:06 PM.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    I'm riding. It should be fun; especially if the weather is good.
    Oh sh!+ just force upgraded to cat1. Now what?
    Best thing about an ultra marathon? I just get to ride my bike for X hours!

mtbr member
    how long & steep are the steeps? trying to gauge how much hike a bike for a single-speeder....

mtbr member
    shouldn't be much if any hike a bike. I haven't done the pre-ride but most of the trails I have ridden on my ss and only walked one rocky section going downhill.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    shouldn't be much if any hike a bike. I haven't done the pre-ride but most of the trails I have ridden on my ss and only walked one rocky section going downhill.
    Really? There is a technical section of the course that requires walking downhill?
    Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

mtbr member
    spring creek has one rocky section I often walk at race pace. It is rideable. It is just a wierd 1' rock drop. I'm looking closer at the map now and the section I have walked is uphill in this race. Before the last race at this area, I did 4 laps up and down spring creek on a training day on my singlespeed. If you can clean this one rock, the rest is easy uphill on ss.

Look out!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbtiago
    how long & steep are the steeps? trying to gauge how much hike a bike for a single-speeder....
    My guess is there are a few 20 to 50 yard long climbs that would concern you, however, they have a steep descent before them so if you can carry enough speed into them, that should allieviate the need to dismount. Think roller coaster. I am going back out next week to ride the course again, I will take my camera and try and take some pictures for everyone.
    Ride the bike.

Look out!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Driggs
    Really? There is a technical section of the course that requires walking downhill?

Like Allikat says it is uphill, in my pre-ride I got off the bike each lap. Being an older fellow, my body heals slowly so I played it safe. Someone with better technical skills should clear it, but, the punishment for failure is about a 5-10 foot drop into the creek. One of the few technical challenges of the course.
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks much for the beta!

Look out!
    Here is the rocky area in question. I rode half the course today and was defeated by the road, those pictures to follow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knobby Tire Series 9 to 5-9to5rockb.jpg  

Knobby Tire Series 9 to 5-9to5rockc.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ride the bike.

Look out!
    Here is what kicked my arse. This stuff is clay sticks hard to the bike and is near impossible to clean off. It took me over an hour to clean the bike after I got home. I think I will carry the bike up the hill if it is in this shape during the race. We have had a wet spring here in Boise this year. I can not wait for summer to get here. Dang cows!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knobby Tire Series 9 to 5-9to5roada.jpg  

Knobby Tire Series 9 to 5-9to5roadb.jpg  

Knobby Tire Series 9 to 5-9to5roadc.jpg  

Knobby Tire Series 9 to 5-destroyersofsingletracka.jpg  

Ride the bike.

Look out!
    Here are some random shots of the single track along the creek.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knobby Tire Series 9 to 5-9to5singletracka.jpg  

Knobby Tire Series 9 to 5-9to5singletrackb.jpg  

Knobby Tire Series 9 to 5-9to5singletrackc.jpg  

Ride the bike.

Look out!
    Last but not least a few of the double track experience. I cut half the course off because of the mud, I hope this helps give everyone an idea of what to expect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knobby Tire Series 9 to 5-9to5doubletracka.jpg  

Knobby Tire Series 9 to 5-9to5doubletrackb.jpg  

Knobby Tire Series 9 to 5-9to5doubletrackc.jpg  

Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlliKat
    Are you going to ride this single speed?

mtbr member
    isn't that part of the course from the coyote classic or something like that? if so that is a pretty fun course!
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    The race was really good. Knobby Tires put on a well organized event. I 'look forward' to it again next year.

mtbr member

Great Event!

Thanks to Hal for a well organized and well thought out course!

Big thanks to all the volunteers who made this possible too. You guys ROCK!

Look out!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbtiago
    Thanks to Hal for a well organized and well thought out course!

Big thanks to all the volunteers who made this possible too. You guys ROCK!
    Amen to that. I had the best race of my life. 8 laps, even with a couple of wrecks when I lost concentration, one wreck just flat out confused me, 3 laps in I hit a rock and stopped dead in my tracks, went down and smacked my knee. I had ridden over that spot at least 6 or 7 times before, counting the pre riding. I spent the rest of the race hoping that the damage wouldn't be too bad. Turned out ok, xrays negative, and the Doc says to give it a rest for a bit then ease back in on it. I am a firm believer in Perpeteum I stopped after the initial two laps and changed bottles, then again every lap after that. I wasn't sore at all yesterday or today except for my knee which is swollen a bit. Full data located here:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/36637044
    Ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    rode spring creek today, they put rocks leading up to the tech section pictured above. makes for a little easier entry, but still a real tough feature.
    It's all downhill from here.
    (There's a **** of a lot of climbing left.)