renaissance cyclist

Just signed up for the Whiskey 50

In 2009 the first bicycle race I ever attempted was the inaugural High Cascade 100. My buddy who I rode with on the weekends was impressed by my endurance, heard about the race and convinced me to sign up. It went horribly: I got a face full of dust in the opening scramble, crashed and broke my rear brake leaver. Although I put in a lot of time training, it wasn't nearly technical or intense enough for me to have done well in the race. I had no idea how to fuel myself properly; I was riding a $600 full suspension bike, I really had no idea what I was getting myself into, and generally a 1st time racer didn't have much business in that race. I didn't finish because I missed the cutoff timeÖ it was embarrassing, but I took some comfort it the fact that I would probably never see any of the people who witnessed my performance again.
    Shortly after that a different friend invited me to join his road racing team. I did a lot better in road racing, presumably because I was training with a group of people who knew what they were doing and could help me figure things out. I've been fortunate enough not to have seen the letters DNF next to my name on a results sheet since then despite doing about 20 races per year and Iím now a pretty solid cat-3 roadie. I also race cyclocross, and for the last two years I've participated in a local 24-hour mountain bike race in a 4 or 5 person relay with some friends from my road racing team. One can tell Iím more of a roadie as all the real mountain bikers fly by me on the technical parts, but Iím not so slow that I prevent my team from landing on the podium.
    I live in Washington state, but grew up in Prescott, and my whole family still lives there, but I havenít lived there since I finished high school and shipped out to the Navy in 98, so it isn't as if I know the trails. Ever since I heard about the Whiskey 50 I've been telling myself I should do the race someday. Today I found out Iím going to be in Vegas for my job for the month of April and immediately signed up for the race since itís close enough that I can drive to Prescott for the weekend. Iím trying to get an idea of what the course is like, I've watched some YouTube videos and it doesn't look too bad aside from some rocky descents, with pretty obvious lines. Strange as seems because Iím obviously far more prepared to this race than I was for the HC 100, Iím freaking out a little at the idea of traveling to a race without any teammates to race on unfamiliar trails in a big race eventÖ feels like the hc100 all over again, only this time my failure wonít be in front of a bunch of strangers. I almost never get nervous about races, but I usually give things more thought before jumping to sign up.

The Next 100 Miler
    Do a search for 'Whiskey' and you will find a lot about the race. Long sustained climbs on the 25 and more on the 50. You may get more responses in the Arizona forum.

jms
    mtbr member
    The "50" course has the same amount of singletrack as the 25 mile course, about 12 miles total. The difference between the 25 and 50 courses is a 12 mile out and back down in to the Skull Valley. It's a LONG climb back out of Skull. The majority of the course is fireroad.

Having done both races, I can assure you, the HC 100 has a far more difficult track and the singletrack is more technically demanding than the trail sections in the Whiskey 50.

Be sure to line up early and you'll do great.
    My Favorite Peeps:

renaissance cyclist
    Well, Being a climber I feel much better knowing there is lots of climbing and it's not as technical as the HC 100 course. I told my Dad I had signed up for the race and he looked at the course map. He swears that at some point, although not all in one ride, we had ridden most all of those trails together when I was a kid. Anyway, if I did it when I was 12, I'm sure i'll be alright now that I'm a 34-year-old experienced bike racer. Maybe I was freaking out for nothing... never-mind, I got this.

K3N
    Certified slacker
    Where at in Wa are ya? I'm in Oly. Did the 50 a few years ago. Its a fun course, not much technically, but there are some log rollers that can get backed up cuz some can't clear 'em. The 12mi out to skull valley is fast, the climb up not so much. Line up early is the best advice I got & have fun!
    My other bike is a bike

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by debusama View Post
    Well, Being a climber I feel much better knowing there is lots of climbing and it's not as technical as the HC 100 course. I told my Dad I had signed up for the race and he looked at the course map. He swears that at some point, although not all in one ride, we had ridden most all of those trails together when I was a kid. Anyway, if I did it when I was 12, I'm sure i'll be alright now that I'm a 34-year-old experienced bike racer. Maybe I was freaking out for nothing... never-mind, I got this.
    Bottlenecks funneling into the single track after exiting the camp early on will be one of the biggest hurdles, especially if you're strong on the road and get there in the front pack.
    Hard tails with cushy volume tubeless tires work great but an efficient fs will help on a lot of the sections too, as long as it's not the $600 you did the HC race on.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

renaissance cyclist
    I'm in Spokane, but I am going down to Prescott anyway to visit family, so i'll take a ride through the single track parts of the course to see how it is.

renaissance cyclist
    'm on a Giant Anthem 29er now with a tubeless 2.25 Rocket Ron in front and a Racing Ralph in the back (just because that is what I always ride)

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    That's a great race. Done it twice. Hardtail is the way to go for sure. Plan on a hot climb up from Skull Valley. I would recommend getting out there a day or two early to preride the first descent. After the initial climb, there is a ripping, awesome descent. But, it can be kind of loose and if you're not ready, you'll lose some major speed. Also...don't blow off cramp hill - it will get you....it gets everyone. The last singletrack before you dump out on the road is fantastic.