Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Just enjoying the race without a bunch of stress

One of the beautiful things about being in your 40s and racing is lack of worry about your finish spot. Sure, It would be fun to win, I have. but at the end of the day I'm just glad I can race and have fun. I'm more worried about staying healthy and having fun then beating Barry Wicks

Twin Six METAL Team
    +1! I train for the races, but I train to do my best and still have fun. I know that I'm not going to win, and don't care.

mtbr member
    Totally agree. I'm 47 , been riding mountain bikes for 5 yrs and just entered my first race ever. Whiskey Off Road 25 Proof. Looking forward to having a good time regardless.

arrogant sandbagger
    May 2010
    I train for races. And my races are training for the rest of my life.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    On hundies it's me versus the course for the first 99 miles. If there's someone near me in the home stretch then it becomes a race
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Then brother you had better be a VERY good racer!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaBiker View Post
    Totally agree. I'm 47 , been riding mountain bikes for 5 yrs and just entered my first race ever. Whiskey Off Road 25 Proof. Looking forward to having a good time regardless.
    I am 38 and have entered my 2nd race. whiskey 25 proof just like you. I know I won't win, but I hope not to be last. I know I don't have the time or ability to really win at any race, but I do always give my best and will be happy with wherever I finish. Just competing in a big group is the fun. As for training... Just a little here and there, but nothing formal. Just enough riding to get fit and stay fit and have fun while doing it.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    I do not race but a couple times a year. I am gonna try an endurance race this year, but with that being said no formal training on my part. I have read some training books and personally it just takes the fun out of riding. Too much structure, which is obviously needed to do well. I just cannot bring myself to do hill repeats, intensity training, etc etc. I enjoy riding and that is all the prep I do. If I was interested in doing well, then that would be a different story. I do envy the guys and gals that have the motivation to train hard, just not my style.

Happy Trails

Just enjoying the race without a bunch of stress

47. +another1.

Ridin' Furry
    Young buck here.

Did my first endurance race last year, had pre-race jitters and bonked hard on first climb lol. Still finished the 50 mile alternative route. Ton of fun none the less.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's my goal..."enjoy" and finish.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I felt the same way, until last fall. After 20 years of riding for fun and the occasional race, I finished 3rd in an event and got on the podium for the first time, and now I want to do it again. I've been following a structured training plan during the winter with the hope of hitting the podium again at some point this year. Tough to get in the hours with the demands of a job and young family, but I think I can do it. Maybe it's a midlife crisis?

BBW
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamb View Post
    I do not race but a couple times a year. I am gonna try an endurance race this year, but with that being said no formal training on my part. I have read some training books and personally it just takes the fun out of riding. Too much structure, which is obviously needed to do well. I just cannot bring myself to do hill repeats, intensity training, etc etc. I enjoy riding and that is all the prep I do. If I was interested in doing well, then that would be a different story. I do envy the guys and gals that have the motivation to train hard, just not my style.
    Same here. I ride hard if I feel like it and depending on the group I ride with but could never go out and do repeats or "having to do a 3 hour ride at 90% HRmax"
    I ride to get rid of my stress not to add
    More!
    BBW. MS, RD

Carnivore
    51 years old and I race to keep my motivation to stay somewhat fit. Sometimes the race schedule gets to be too much but having a race coming up helps to get me off my butt so I don't embarrass myself. I don't like "training" but I don't mind riding hard. When I race I ride as hard as I can to do my best but I finish where I finish and as long as I had a good time I am happy. I just try to be the best I can be that day and don't worry about what other guys do. I admit though that when I see a guy ahead of me I try to catch him. I will be glad when the XC season is over and I can just do long (4+ hr) rides when ever I want.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I ride hard also but don't lose sleep if I have a bad race. I was going to do a cross country race tomorrow but the forecast is for sheets of rain and wind. Screw it! I'm going to eat pancakes and go to the gym later. Too old to ride in the muck and rain...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Too old to ride in the muck and rain...
    Amen! I hit that age around 21 (and I'm long past that, now).
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    What does being 40 have to do with "losing the competitive spirit"? I admire Tinker Juarez

Some of the fastest guys in the US CUP West are 40+ and show up to win. Why race otherwise? A race is just that....a "race".

It is like entering a tennis tournament for "fun". Just play leisure tennis with a co-ed club or something. Maybe call a buddy.

If I didn't care about the "race", the last thing I would do is pay money to enter a race....drive 100 miles...then leisurely pedal around in circles while surrounded by competitive people.

You could go ride your local trails with your buddies instead.

N/A
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    If I didn't care about the "race", the last thing I would do is pay money to enter a race....drive 100 miles...then leisurely pedal around in circles while surrounded by competitive people.

I get what you're saying, but many people sign up for a race as motivation to stay in at least half decent shape. Money to enter a race and 100 miles in gas is still often cheaper than a gym membership and gets you outside to exercise.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    What does being 40 have to do with "losing the competitive spirit"? I admire Tinker Juarez

Some of the fastest guys in the US CUP West are 40+ and show up to win. Why race otherwise? A race is just that....a "race".

It is like entering a tennis tournament for "fun". Just play leisure tennis with a co-ed club or something. Maybe call a buddy.

A race is is still different from a group ride. I want to race for the competition, but I don't want to train for weeks to do it. I have race coming up have been doing some moderate training, but don't really like the feeling that I need to get X number of miles in each week. I would rather ride for fun and come race time give it my 100%. I expect to beat a few people and few will be beat me too. The fun in a race is going head to head vs others on the course and having some reason to push to your limits at beyond. If you train for a race or not every race should be ridden at 100% pace vs other riders also at 100% pace. No stopping an waiting for friends or to enjoy the scenery. If you want to train 6 weeks for the race or not at all it will impact your finish position, but it won't change your going 100% from the start to finish.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The 'you are as fast at 50 as you were at 25' crowd are in denial. It just simply isn't true. Tinker is not the rider now he was at 25. It is just silly to believe otherwise. When was the last time a 50 year old won a Tour De France or world cup race? Never!

I ride hard but at the end of the day the experience is worth the money. How do you do in races? I snicker quietly to myself at Cat II guys who act like are racing in an Olympic race.

Every blue moon someone will ask me, "Are you a good mountain biker?"
    I typically say, "Compared to who?"

My point is racing is about if I meet my goals--not the guy next to me who may have more time to train, more talent, and more willing to suffer. Or they may not have as much ability as me but just want to finish their first 100 mile race. It is a blend of folks and that is what is fun about racing.

mtbr member
    Tinker won the Tahoe Sierra 100,2012, against a very tough field...........

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Oh, I think guys do but the top of the mountain is not populated by 50+ guys. I had some 45-year-old guy tell me he is as good of an athlete as he was in high school. If it gets you sleep at night believe that...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Maybe not better.

Probably smarter.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    ... I had some 45-year-old guy tell me he is as good of an athlete as he was in high school. If it gets you sleep at night believe that...
    I am 38 and am a better athlete now than compared to high school to college. However that is because in high school I was a bit overweight and not in shape.
    Joe

mtbr member
    another +1 for a forty year old that still likes to line up on sunday. I get my ass kicked and rather enjoy it. BTW....Tinker also wins our local endurance race, Butte 100.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast