Thread: Iditasport 2014

mtbr member

Iditasport 2014

Just putting the word out for this cool event.
    See Home for details.
    Anyone have experience at this distance? It is a new one for me, but seems like a great challenge!

runs with scissors
    Anyone who has already done a 200 miles plus event willing to share training advice?
    I’ve signed up and probably a bit of a stretch for me since 100 mile has been my max.
    Bike and gear I feel pretty good about, but my body needs some prep with only 140 ish days to go I need to get a plan fast…
    61° North

mtbr member
    Yup I'm just building the base now- riding my SS commuter as often as possible. I the south end of the Rez this weekend. It was Lisa's first bikepacking trip, the mud and light dusting of snow made it an official Alaskan ride.

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    No personal experience but have coached several riders to fast and not so fast finishes. It is an incredible event.

Quick advice: Ride lots, hike lots too. Most years there is a lot of foot travel involved. Last year was an anomaly with mostly riding.

Eat lots: get the hang of chowing a lot on your rides. ITI takes an incredible amount of food to stay warm, fueled and moving forward. You need to know what you like to eat and what digests. Know what you can get a large volume of through your mouth, while frozen, without causing mouth blisters or tearing up the inside of your mouth. Put food in your freezer and see what is edible when you take it out without breaking your teeth.

Get your gear in order and make sure your bike fit is perfect. This means riding your fat bike now with probably flat pedals and a wider Q-factor to make sure your knees are adapted to that.

Phil H's blog has good race info. Scroll down right menu bar to see his ITI posts. P Nome's AK Misadventures

Congrats getting a slot in the race - that's an exciting thing to look forward to and motivate the winter training.

mtbr member
    Thanks Lynda for taking the time to post. Great point about adapting to the winter bike. Definitely need to get the food dialed in! Thanks again!

runs with scissors
    Linda, thanks! your advise is gold.
    sorry for the delay I've been using my free time to train and getting on-line has been a low priority :-)
    61° North