Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Team Livemedium
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW View Post
    Bamwa where do you live? I'm asking because in USA each ibuprofen capsule is 200mg and outside USA they are 400 mg
    6 x 400= 2400
    walgreens brand. they are 200's. Austin TX
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    I found the NYT article at the following link to be pretty informative -- pretty much NSAIDS (Ibuprofen) should only be used for injury (if you're an athlete). It includes some links to primary literature.

For Athletes, Risks From Ibuprofen Use - NYTimes.com

The inappropriate use of ibuprofen goes well beyond just kidney damage: it might well be that (a) it increases inflammation if used prophylactically to prevent discomfort during exercise, (b) interferes with the training effect by suppressing the biological response that leads to strength gains. So, take it before exercise and you risk kidney damage and increased systemic inflammation. Take it after exercise and you just wasted your time if the goal was to get stronger. There-is-no-free-lunch/you-can't-have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too/some-other-pithy-saying-that-is-vaguely-appropriate-goes-here...
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PeT View Post
    I found the NYT article at the following link to be pretty informative -- pretty much NSAIDS (Ibuprofen) should only be used for injury (if you're an athlete). It includes some links to primary literature.

For Athletes, Risks From Ibuprofen Use - NYTimes.com

The inappropriate use of ibuprofen goes well beyond just kidney damage: it might well be that (a) it increases inflammation if used prophylactically to prevent discomfort during exercise, (b) interferes with the training effect by suppressing the biological response that leads to strength gains. So, take it before exercise and you risk kidney damage and increased systemic inflammation. Take it after exercise and you just wasted your time if the goal was to get stronger. There-is-no-free-lunch/you-can't-have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too/some-other-pithy-saying-that-is-vaguely-appropriate-goes-here...
    That's a neat article and all but the thread is (or at least was - and this is NOT an "attack" at you ) about consuming during races (not training) - specifically endurance races. Most people aren't entering 4 or 5 of these a week nor are they using these for training (typically).

I have yet to read (granted I don't spend all day on pubmed) a report that states occasional use of ibu,... ...etc. results in ANY permanent damage. Sure if I'm dehydrated and stuff 20 pills in my ass I'll probably have some resulting issue but please spare us from the soapbox (study xxx shows that....).

As we know, people can die from consuming too much water --> water is bad right?

PeT
    Occasionally engagedů
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    That's a neat article and all but the thread is (or at least was - and this is NOT an "attack" at you ) about consuming during races (not training) - specifically endurance races.
    Ah, but what's the Western States 100-mile Endurance Race (specifically mentioned in the article as one of the research efforts) if not an endurance race? The research summarized in that article looks specifically at prophylactic use of ibuprofen -- and this thread has been all about prophylactic use. Poster after poster chimed in with how they took it to prevent soreness (e.g. - the functional definition of prophylactic use). So, I beg to differ -- this article is spot on with the intent and content of this thread.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have popped aleve during endurance events and I cant tell if it helps or not.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3