mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I need some input...

...or maybe encouragement. I've been training for the Brian Head 100 for the past few months. Like most everyone else, there's never enough time to train. I've ridden up to 7 hrs (off road, 10k ft climbing - about the amount of climbing that's in the race - but only 60 miles or so) a few times in the last month and a half. Problem is, yesterday I bonked big time (not enough fluids) and it's less than 3 weeks from the race. I was planning on using this ride to gauge my performance (my goal for the 100 is 11hrs), and this has blown my confidence completely. Any words of wisdom? Should I scale back to the 50 or go for the 100?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Why change your plans, bonks happen.

seems like you know why it happened, take it as a learning experience that you can use at the Brianhead 100, drink more! Stay with the 100 and good luck!

mtbr member

second that opinion

i agree with the previous post - dont sweat it. i had plenty of bumps in the road on the way to my first solo 24. the morning of the race i didn;t fell ilke riding for 2 hours let alone 24. generally the only time i back down is if i feel that i will seriously injure myself by pushing on.

you should make sure though that you are thorough in understanding how much you took in (calories, caloric makeup, electrolytes, & water) when you bonked, also think about what you did the day before. the hammergel website has a lot of good info on nutritional guidance that applies regardless of what products you use. good luck.

cheers
    Karl

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy
    Any words of wisdom? Should I scale back to the 50 or go for the 100?

Thanks
    I've only done one 100-miler, but I had a few training rides for it that didn't go well. Something like I planned to ride for 8 hours but felt like crap after 2 and quit. No big deal just get out there and try it again as soon as you can.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thanks!

Hey - thanks for the words of wisdom. I went back and looked at what went wrong, and in retrospect it was very obvious what happened - not enough calories. At least now I know what the minimum caloric intake is for me

My other mistake was, after having my wife drop me off at the trailhead, return an hour later than our prearranged pickup time (coupled with a later than anticipated start time meant it was starting to get a bit dark), then puke a few times by the side of the road on the ride home. "This is what you do for fun? What if you passed out by the side of the trail." etc. Oh well, at least she cares...

The best thing is it spurred me on to register for the 100

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Brian Head Update

I wanted to update those of you who gave me some encouragement and let you know how the race turned out. I'm glad I stuck with my plans as I finished the 100 in 10:50 with no real problems other than a nasty altitude-induced nose bleed in the last 15 miles (it's tough being a flatlander). They shortened the course slightly this year (one less trip to the peak) so I feel like I got off easy, but I ain't gonna give the finisher's jersey back

For those who haven't done it but are thinking of doing it, I would highly recommend it. Nice course, good mix of terrain, helpful volunteers - if they could work more singletrack into it the course would be perfect

Thanks again for the kicks in the ass