mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Hydration devices..

Just wondering what you guys use for hydration devices?? I currently have a 2 liter Osprey pack, but for longer events than 50 miles, do you carry more, or maybe put another bladder of water in the sag area along with a bottle of your favorite mix?

I know it's more weight that you carrying than using bottles, but the fear of running out of water from bottles keeps me from drinking like I want or need to..

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Sags make camel backs obsolete for me, two bottles should easily get you between refuel options.

What day are we riding?
    Depends on if there are sags/support. If there are, make sure you know the distance and rough time to get between them and also the estimated temps the day of the race. I don't like racing with packs so if the gap is a bit far I will throw a small bottle in the jersey pocket. For me, I have an easier time monitoring my hydration using bottles as I try to drink 1'ish bottles per hour depending on temps. Even when I carry a pack I use the water in the bladder to fill my bottles.

For longer events or gaps too great for bottles I will do the 1 hour to bottle equivalent and add an extra small bottle-worth to the calculation. Rarely carry more than one, but I did at the Kaibab Monstercross. The second one was not all the way full though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i use a camelback with water only and a concentrated bottle of drink mix in a bottle. i'll have a spare bladder in my pit (for lap races) that i'll switch out every 3-4 hours. this keeps me going with minimal stops. stopping each lap (or at each aid station) to grab a bottle out of a cooler or whatever really adds up over time.

if i had enough pit support that i could get a hand up every lap without stopping, i'd do that and ditch the camelback.
    something about the west coast...it makes me wanna ride

Fat-tired Roadie
    Bottles. I've only done two, so take this as such.

For a 30-miler, we did two laps. I left a bag with a couple full bottles at the lap point. Almost zero time left on course, because I didn't have to wait in line.

For a 50, it was one long lap. I took pre-portioned drink mix wrapped in saran wrap. Looked like drugs. I made one aid stop because of a problem with my wheel, and one (or two? can't remember) aid stop to refill bottles. A little more time left on course because I had to refill, but not terribly bad. I can't remember if I took two or three bottles. If I were to plan it again today, I'd probably take three bottles, so I could go about three hours between aid stops. While it's not necessarily worth it to me to wear a camelbak and skip aid stops, the observation about time left on course is a good one. I think an extra pound and a half of water to be able to go one more aid stop is probably worthwhile.

If I was planning something longer, I'd just take more drink mix/stage more bottles/whatever - same strategy, just more.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Fat-tired Roadie
    I just re-found my GPS track for that race. Ride time was 5:42, elapsed time was 5:49. So I lost about seven minutes on my wheel problem and on refilling bottles.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

What I've done..

What I've done in the past is take a bottle of drink mix, and a 2 liter camelbak not all the way filled up, but about a bottle and a half worth.. I've only done a couple, but know from the last one that I tried bottles, I ran out due to the aid stations being further than I thought, or me being slower than I thought.. (probably the later) I'm thinking with my up coming ones, I'll go with the 3/4 full bladder and bottle of drink mix and have the same thing in the aid station and go with that.. In the south here, it get's pretty darn hot and it's usually the humidity that kills you though..

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Depends on the course and aid station situation. If there are plenty of aid stations AND road sections to allow easy drinking from bottles, I leave the pack behind. If not, I use a minimalist Camelbak with ez mix energy powder that will not clump (Heed and Gatorade are my favorites).
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.