mtbr member

How popular generally is XC racing in the US?

I'm in the UK, and pretty much there is a general, eugh! Lycra no thanks take on it.

For instance there was a xc event at Cannock Chase, i suspect less than 100 people turned up to do it, but half a mile further down the road at the official trail centre, it was full of weekend warriors that probably numbered nearer 400, and then there is the other car park where people go from probably another 200 riders, add to that all the other places there are to park and there is probably a good thousand people hitting the trails on a weekend day!!

What's it like over there on the xc race scene?
    speed thrills

mtbr member
    My first XC race last November had about 200 riders. My last one this April had 2000 riders.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Went to a local Socal weekly XC race series last night where they get well over 400+ weekly(Brian Lopes raced last night BTW) I do a couple endurance races that get over 600+ and there are many that sell out every year as they have limits of the number of racers their permits will allow.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I just got back into it this year, but apparently so did quite a few others. I recall hearing the organizers say it was one of the biggest showings in years with something like 680 racers or so. I think there's finally some pushback against 100+ milers being the only option as more and more local XC race series died out. You can check the numbers out for yourself by looking at the results here: MBAA | The Mountain Bike Association of Arizona

I'm sure the numbers died down some after the first two races, but it seemed like a pretty good showing for the final race the weekend before last.

Of course, it might not be so rosy everywhere. CO/UT/NM just lost the Mountain States Cup which had XC and DH Mountain States Cup Cancelled for 2013 - The Hub - Mountain Biking Forums / Message Boards - Vital MTB
    But it's been replaced by the Big Mountain Enduro Series, so we'll see how well that goes over. Enduro is certainly the big buzz-word of the year. I think a lot of people just don't know what to expect from the races yet. I didn't sign up for any because of conflicts with other races, and they're all pretty far apart. It will be a significant financial commitment to do the whole series. I'm definitely keeping my ears open to hear what they were like, and I might commit to hitting them next season. They shouldn't conflict with the AZ XC season since it's so early, Jan-May.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think grass roots XC racing is doing fine. There are lots of local and regional races that are as well attended as ever. XC racing is, after all, the closest to what most people think of mountain biking and tests all your skill and fitness.

DH is way too gear intensive and requires lifts. Slalom and all that is totally manufactured and requires lifts. Enduro (aka super D) is on an upswing, the latest trendy buzzword, but personally I think it will crest and fade. For one thing, it's really hard to time and set up for a promoter and another thing it's - IMO at least - only half a bike race.

Good old fashioned XC racing will never die.