eri
    mtbr member

How long are pedals supposed to last?

My previous xtr 960 pedals got so loose they eventually wouldn't hold my feet. Bike shop insisted it was the cleats but no improvement when I replaced them.

Fall of 2016 I got a brand new pair of xtr race pedals. They were nice and tight for about 3 months, then got some play. Today I fell out of one while monkeying around. They are both really loose with plenty of side to side play. It looks like the cause is 3mm wide groove worn into the aluminum face of the pedal body. Same groove on both sides of both pedals.

I can clip into my friend's xt just fine with my 2 year old giro vr90 shoes and cleats.

Anyone else having this problem? Pedals toast after ~2000 miles of mtb? Is it the pedals or some other cause like shoes/cleats/etc? Or is this another biking tax? My old 737 look horrible but are still working like new.

Anyone offering a pedal resurfacing service?

Thanks!

How long are pedals supposed to last?-wornpedal.jpg
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm pretty disappointed with the longevity of the newer xtrs (no idea how the XTs fare). My issue is typically having to "tighten things up" on the spindle but the right pedal on my hardtail is prone to releasing early and I'd always figured it was my fault - I'll check to see how mine look when I get home from work.

having said that, I'm not sure where the groove you speak of is

Elitest thrill junkie
    I have two sets of M9000s, going strong, many races, rides and miles on each. I usually expect my shimano pedals to last indefinitely and I haven't been let down by this.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

eri
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    I'm pretty disappointed with the longevity of the newer xtrs (no idea how the XTs fare). My issue is typically having to "tighten things up" on the spindle but the right pedal on my hardtail is prone to releasing early and I'd always figured it was my fault - I'll check to see how mine look when I get home from work.

having said that, I'm not sure where the groove you speak of is
    Groove is visible in the above picture as the shiny band just above the word 'tighten'. Its hard to estimate the grooves depth because its wide and smooth and curved, I think its a bit less than a mm deep.

The bearings and everything are still perfect, like butta, just my shoes now wobble significantly from side to side. Now if I don't pedal smoothly they go click/clack on every stroke.

I tried tightening the release tension spring but that makes no difference at all, I don't see any other adjustment.

This is exactly what happened to my beloved 960s. Bearings are still perfect but won't hold the cleat steady.

I'll contact shimano and see what they say.
    Last edited by eri; 6 Days Ago at 05:49 PM. Reason: remove wrong part of description
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

mtbr member
    I have a pair of Time ATAC that are probably 8 years old and another that are at least 6 years old. Neither showing any sign of giving up anytime soon.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    My current generation xtr pedals made it about 6 months on the backup bike before they got sloppy and loose. Good thing they have a warranty...issi sealed bearing pedals and xpedo sealed bearing pedals going strong for years now, no slop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've had poor luck with XTR longevity twice, and switched back to XT. I get a year out of them on my primary bike, but I do ride a lot.

pinkpowa, your xpedo comment is interesting. Do they use XT cleats, or slightly different? One of my problems with contemplating any pedal changes is I've got them on 4 bikes.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had XTR's that barely made it through a season but my XT's have been working really well for 5 years and over 10,000 miles. I did have a set of xpedo's for a few years but didn't use them that much because I didn't like the feel of them - they completely stopped holding my cleat recently after far-too-few miles. I replaced them with a low level set of Shimano pedals on my FS bike.

This place needs an enema
    Crank Brothers pedals last about 20 minutes. ISSI last about 30. Shimano last about a decade, maybe more. Time are similar.

eri
    mtbr member
    For you guys that saw the pedals get side-to-side loose and rattely in less than 2-3 years: what do you think was the cause?

Did you see a worn groove in the body's machined face plate like above? Or is there some other cause?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    that groove you have shouldn't (theoretically) affect the release point if I understand the way these things work. (btw, I don't have one of those grooves. maybe a rock in your shoe tread wore that down?). Only the fore and aft pieces should be at play here (as well as the cleat). I've a few laying on my workbench that I need to give some love to.

No real idea on the root cause of the loosening but I just pull the pedals apart, spend an hour looking for one of the really small loose bearings that I inevitably drop, regrease, retighten... and so far good to go. Pretty simple but honestly something that (IMO) we shouldn't have to do. Ever.

eri
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    that groove you have shouldn't (theoretically) affect the release point if I understand the way these things work. (btw, I don't have one of those grooves. maybe a rock in your shoe tread wore that down?). Only the fore and aft pieces should be at play here (as well as the cleat). I've a few laying on my workbench that I need to give some love to.

No real idea on the root cause of the loosening but I just pull the pedals apart, spend an hour looking for one of the really small loose bearings that I inevitably drop, regrease, retighten... and so far good to go. Pretty simple but honestly something that (IMO) we shouldn't have to do. Ever.
    Are you talking about pedal/shoe looseness, or looseness in the pedal itself (bearing, bushing)?

If shoe/pedal, what exactly do you disassemble to get the pedal to again hold the cleat securely?

I think it is unlikely the groove is from a rock, there's no rock there now... But seriously - the groove is the same on both sides of both pedals. Is not a one time event.

The loosening I am having a problem with is that the shoe can rock side to side, and is also loose front to back. The looseness is entirely the cleat/pedal and shoe/pedal interface. There is no looseness in the pedal alone. Pedal feels great. The looseness is the same on both sides of both pedals.

The other thing I notice about the pedal is that the front and rear steel clips that directly interact with the cleat feel worn smooth and their inner edge is quite sharp. Could be that this is the part that has worn out?

Thing is, I don't ride very much at all compared to you guys. These pedals were only used for singlespeeding, they have <250 hours on them. I'd like to figure out what is going wrong so I can fix it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Ahhh, It sounds like we're talking about some different things. Thanks for clarifying.

I had some issues a long while back with Crank Homies pedals and some shims I was using for a small leg length discrepancy (~1mm) but don't have that problem with Shimano (knock on wood). Sorry for the sidetrack

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have the bottom end spd pedals (540s?) on 3 bikes, all 3 sets are 10+ years old. In the last year I'm noticing the side to side play, almost like it can roll side to side if your shoe is an airplane. Have tried tightening the adjustment but it only makes the cleat harder to get in and doesn't hold the shoe any better.

I agree, it looks like that groove on both sides is what allows it to float, and new cleats haven't made a difference. It's a great shame, I've never once had to work on the spindles, but I may replace them because I've fallen out while mid air and landed on the seat/my junk in spectacular sketchy fashion. Still think I got my money's worth though!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    XTR is more for racing and weight savings than durability IMO. As such I'll favor XT components instead. Heck even the low end models tend to be far more durable perhaps because they are built with heavier components. I have some old ass m520s that have thousands of miles and they are stills going strong though infrequently used.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

viva la v-brakes!
    I've run Time ATAC and Crank Bros. In both cases, I've had pedals last a decade (annual bearing replacement on the Eggbeaters not withstanding). I just retired some Eggbeaters that I've been riding for probably 12 years. One of each brand succumbed to a hard rock strike. In both cases what finally did them in was wear to the top bar, which causes them to loosen up.

These are both non-adjustable designs, FWIW, Shimano and others that use an adjustable spring are going to be different.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

eri
    mtbr member
    I called shimano. Guy on phone said he'd never heard of this happening.

I've called Shimano before about other warranty issues (brake pad separating from backing plate, also rotor that had a loose rivit while still new in box) and they readily acknowledged the issue.

I don't unclip 'much' but I do know that in the past few years I've become much more aggressive in rotating my feet on the pedals while cornering, sort of like skiing. Could be my pedal wear is exacerbated by this rotation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    The LBS I go to has seen worn contact points on pedals like this - the owner mentioned it as a consideration for why the 540's may be more durable when I was looking at replacement pedals. Mine have never done it for XT or XTR though so it's likely a more rider-specific thing. Apparently because the contact points on some pedals are steel instead of alloy, they are less susceptible to it. The contact points on my xpedo's were magnesium and were quite worn.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I've had no issue with a few pairs of xpedos or issi as long as you get the ones with 3 sealed bearings not bushings.

XTRs aren't light at 300g+, aren't cheap at $180msrp, and aren't reliable as reported anecdotally here. I won't buy another pair.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    I've had no issue with a few pairs of xpedos or issi as long as you get the ones with 3 sealed bearings not bushings.
    I already blew out the bearings on one side of my xpedos during the Whiskey 50 race. I replaced the bearings and it's back to smooth, but they are fragile race pedals. I use them now on races where I don't anticipate a lot of rock strikes, switching out the XTRs to save over 100g.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Which model xpedos are 400g!?! All mine were 300g or less for the Titanium ones

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Quote Originally Posted by eri View Post
    I called shimano. Guy on phone said he'd never heard of this happening.

I've called Shimano before about other warranty issues (brake pad separating from backing plate, also rotor that had a loose rivit while still new in box) and they readily acknowledged the issue.

I don't unclip 'much' but I do know that in the past few years I've become much more aggressive in rotating my feet on the pedals while cornering, sort of like skiing. Could be my pedal wear is exacerbated by this rotation.
    Possibly as I've not seen wear on any of my Shimano's like that and I've a set of 540's which are over 10 years old.

The only issue I've ever had with Shimano was the XTR spindle snapping on the previous generation. I gave up and went back to XT's.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I was tempted to get xt pedals, you guys are convincing me to keep my 540's!

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Love my XTR's. A couple of drops of winter chain lube on the alloy works wonders. Also stops the alloy to rubber squeaking...

I've had issues with my last two XTR's wearing out quicker than expected.

After awhile they get sloppy in the bearings, and then they just fall off the spindle.

XT's seem better so far, and half the price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    I have a pair of Time ATAC that are probably 8 years old and another that are at least 6 years old. Neither showing any sign of giving up anytime soon.
    Same with mine. These pedals are awesome. I just purchased a new set of "8"s to save a few grams. I hope they are as durable.

Get on your bike and ride
    Dunno, bought an original pair of Eggbeaters and rode them (with annual rebuilds) until the EB3s came out. Have those on two bikes and Mallet Es on another. Rebuilding the first set of 3s pretty soon, but they're 4 seasons old and I never serviced them. Crank Brother's uses a bronze cleat that wears instead of the pedal. Don't know if it's cheaper in the long run, the cleats are pricy, but it works for me.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    another good experience with Time pedals. split among 3 bikes and 2 riders, all 3 sets have lasted for 15ish years and still going strong. also they are used in and get packed with sand and mud frequently and still no issues.

because GIANT
    old. original XTR's would last forever. back in the day. not true today.

the newer XTR's (since 2015 anyway) don't hold up

XT's though ? now, they last as long as the old original XTR's

so, the general school of though around my gang is:

if you need light, XTR but plan on them giving you issues inside a year
    if you want longevity, XT, last many years
    "Eating Spam, and Oreos, and drinking Thunderbird, baby" -Baby Huey/James Ramey

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Shimano 520's have lasted forever. YRMV.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'm pretty sure XTR's have a 2 year warranty. If they're screwing up, have your LBS send them back..