mtbr member

High Cascades 100 roll call

who else is looking forward to it? Weather's supposed to be a chilly 96deg. guess I'll bring a camelback for a change.

Dude, got any schwag?
    The temps are always around 10 degrees cooler out in the trail network than they are in town. Some of the later exposed climbs will heat you up though. Just after Lava Lake and Edison Snow park are where you'll want extra water. Mostly for your head (Heed gets kinda sticky). It'll be in the low 50s to start the race.
    Billy

Speed is sweet, it's like an avenue to
    ... Shredtopia!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I'm a bit nervous because the heat in Bend sucks the life out of you due to the dry. If you can make it to Edison Snow Park life should be okay. Drink, drink, drink, etc. and eat, eat, eat, and hope you don't turn into a cramp machine. I am not racing but just plan on finishing this race; well, heck, I am in the 40-49 and don't have a rat's tail chance of a podium finish

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Looking forward to it, looks like the best course yet. Wouldn't mind a nice thunderstorm bringing some rain and cool temps though.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    It does look really good.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Head tastes like dog whiz but it does impart some calories and sugar. I bet orange juice, salt, and brown sugar is just as good. All blended up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSchwagman View Post
    The temps are always around 10 degrees cooler out in the trail network than they are in town. Some of the later exposed climbs will heat you up though. Just after Lava Lake and Edison Snow park are where you'll want extra water. Mostly for your head (Heed gets kinda sticky). It'll be in the low 50s to start the race.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I loved heading out west for this race last year. Probably my favourite race course ever.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

hispanic mechanic

I'll be out there representing Boise single speeds.
    Expecting to go through a lot of Skratch!

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    that was fun. someone's Garmin said 101 degrees at one point. Took me three tomahawk crashes to learn "stay the F off the top of the berms!"... very blown out, dry. Props to Mike Ripley and crew for an amazingly well run event. I heard they ran through 120,000 oz of water on the course. The little treat of new course section this year, a climb near lava lake, was soul crushing for me. Stupendous scenery. Anyone else have fun?

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    It did seem like every corner had a mark where somebody had washed the front end out. This was my 4th HC (incl one DNF) and definitely the dustiest one to date. I'm still hacking and coughing. The headwind on the final paved portion in was nice too.

I'd say it was 5 hours or so of fun, then a couple hours of misery, then fun again from the top of Kiwa Butte on in. Whoever thought of the chilled gogurt at the aid stops, that was pure genius.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Very tough race because of nausea and vomiting. That said, Mike Ripley puts on a great race. I can't imagine tougher conditions for a 100 mile race outside of 40 and rain

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chairthruster View Post
    that was fun. someone's Garmin said 101 degrees at one point. Took me three tomahawk crashes to learn "stay the F off the top of the berms!"... very blown out, dry. Props to Mike Ripley and crew for an amazingly well run event. I heard they ran through 120,000 oz of water on the course. The little treat of new course section this year, a climb near lava lake, was soul crushing for me. Stupendous scenery. Anyone else have fun?
    I checked out the results in Cycling News, congratulations on a strong finish Matt!
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    thanks John! missed seeing you out there...

bummer on the stomach, nutrition issues Jaybo! that sucks. Heat induced?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I think so but I am still such a rookie at long races. I probably didn't stop long enough to force down some liquid. I think the Heed may have started the distress as that stuff not only stinks but tastes like cat pee I got VERY hot! I finished despite my challenges and I"m proud of that because I'm pack filler Cat II racer

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    That sounds like my first Creampuff. So hot that less than a third of the field finished, and it was possible to stand under the spray of a fire hose afterwards. That would cool you off, then 10 minutes later, you needed to get back under it.

Congrats to everybody that finished what sounds like a real suffer-fest! At least the Bend single track is phenomenal!
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

hispanic mechanic

Great race, congrats to all the finishers. I think this year was much harder than last, even though I personally felt better. The descent down Tiddlywinks was super loose!
    This may have been my last 100 miler, at least on a single speed.

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

jms
    mtbr member
    Yeesh, kinda glad I missed this one. Racing in the heat is something I'm all too familiar from events in California and Arizona. It's one of those survival skills learned after being fried alive a few times. Here's what worked for me:

Use a bike with two water bottle cages [which has meant using the hardtail for me] - so I can dump water on my head from a large bottle between aid stations, carry my energy drink cocktail in the other cage, and have room in my jersey for a third bottle of water.

I ditch the Camelback, it's like putting a hot water bottle on your back on a really hot day, and makes it harder to use the evaporative cooling you get riding with air circulation over your back. IIRC there's been some studies that show using a camelback increases the temperature of your kidneys in hot weather.

A second light sleeveless liner or jersey under your riding jersey holds the moisture in a bit longer and keeps me cooler.

Add thermotabs/buffered salt tablets added to your energy drink.

Good on everybody that made it through this year's HC 100, this edition sounds pretty evil, especially if riding up Kwohl Butte was part of the route........... LOL, Ripley has a really well developed "Torture Gene".
    My Favorite Peeps:

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    This may have been my last 100 miler, at least on a single speed.
    From 5 hours on I was telling myself this was my last 100 miler. For me, it's hours 6 to finish that are the toughest, especially with heat. Last year I really tried to minimize nonmoving time. At aid 2, I spent a fair amount of time, had cold coke, icy Gogurt, etc. Did the same at lava lake and Edison. I think the extra time spent at the aid stations helped me keep moving in the latter half.

mtbr member
    Thanks to the support crew and the other racers... you all made for a fun day.
    I was knocked out by Mike's crew and their efforts. They treat everyone like a race leader.

The other participants made it a great experience for me. So many cool people out on the course. Yeah, you're all super-fast, but you have tons of class... such a great vibe out there!