mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Help me decide. Giant, Scott or Cannondale 29er HT

Help me decide. Giant, Scott or Cannondale 29er HT-img_5367.jpg

I am currently in the market for a 29er HT. I currently ride, love and will keep in addition to the 29er a 2009 Pivot mach 4 XT/XO group. I have upgraded the seat to a bontrager inform RL, both tires to Panaracer fire XC pro 2.1 and upgraded the top water bottle cage to CF since the picture was taken. I will be going tubeless this week. I also have a 2004 Raliegh M60 (HT). After being exposed to higher quality (2008 XC specialized FSR expert and the Pivot mach 4) I just can not waste the time riding the M60 anymore.

3 bikes are in the running:
    Giant XTC composite 29er1

Connondale F29 carbon 3

Scott scale 930 or and older Pro.

I would like some personal reviews or any experiences one has had with any of these bikes.
    I know the best thing will be to ride these and I intend to at some local demo events this year. Still, looking for some personal comments on these or other comparable bikes.

I live in WA state (Pacific NW).

Most of the trails I ride have long climbs, lots of roots and rocks, muddy all but 5mos/year and are not really smooth or flowy at all..

Purpose of the 29er HT purchase is to ride the same trails but experience them in a different light than with the full sussy Mach 4.

I am an intermediate at best rider and will participate in my first race this year (may 2013) which is a 30mile endero. XC with a little bit of all mountain is my game.

So what say you?

2009 Mach 4 XT/XO group. Some carbon upgrades w/crank bros. cobalt wheel set.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have the Ali Giant XTC 29er, although its not the carbon one I think the geo is the same and I love the bike, its nimble and steady, climbs very well and rolls over everything with ease.
    Giant XTC 2 29er
    KHS Flagstaff 29er FS
    Neon Bow Trials Bike
    Norco Fluid 9.2 29er FS
    Norco BIGFOOT FATTY

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I would vote for the Giant, because overall, it is a great value. Especially if you can get one now, at closeout.

AZ
    banned
    Start with natural fit.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My short review of current Scott Scale:

Sex Machine! | Off the Couch Adventure

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the link and review. That bike of yours is out of my price range. You have one helleva component group on that bike. Looks like a $5K+ package.
    ATT I am leaning towards the giant composite 29er 1 (2013) or 29er 0 (2012) which will still weigh 4lbs than your but I can pick up a 20er 0 for $2300 used.
    I have had good lucj getting used bikes let alone one that is only a year old. I bought my Pivot mach 4 XT/XO group for only $1800 delivered w/carbon upgrades and cobalt wheels. Thats $5500 worth of bike and I LOVE it!!!
    Thanks again for your reply.
    2009 Mach 4 XT/XO group. Some carbon upgrades w/crank bros. cobalt wheel set.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If bought all brand new at retail, yeah, it's probably a 6K bike, but I reused parts, bought some new etc and had it built up.

The geometry is the same between the 900 and 930 frames- though the 900 uses the Scott HMX carbon lay-up where the 930 uses the HMF lay-up. HMX is stiffer- not sure on the compliance side of the house. But I wouldn't think the frames ride all *that* different except mainly for weight reduction, and some increased stiffness. It's a great hard-tail with nice geometry that fits me well. Ultimately, I still need a bigger engine for the bike...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Can't beat Giant for value!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Love the slack headtube and short chainstays on the Scale, been riding my RC for close to 2 years it's a keeper.