Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hawaiian Ironman was unbelievable

No, I didn't do it but I sat on my leather couch and watched it. Unbelievable! This 80-year-old doctor stumbling to the finish looking like he needed a walker to keep him upright. Wow!

Anybody do a full Ironman? I can't imagine running a marathon after swimming two miles and riding 125 miles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I doubt I'll ever be in good enough shape to attempt one, but even if I did get that fit I'm not sure I could shell out the race fees. I'm a fairly terrible swimmer too so I doubt I'd even get through the first two miles.

mtbr member
    Yes, and it is a looooooooong day

Cumbria, England.
    They must be addictive...a friend of mine did the one in Lanzarote last year. He was getting sick of the training not long before it, as it had taken over his life. Simple things like going for a couple of beers or a mtb ride with friends had gone out the window.
    I spoke to him right after the event and asked him if he would be doing another, "I'm pleased I've done this one but no!" was the answer. Spoke to him the day after and he'd signed up for the the one in Austria next year!!!
    - The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -

mtbr member
    Yes...I got tired of several things about IM. Swimming (not my strong suit). Trying to train for three sports (and always feeling like I should be doing more). the people in the sport.... I hate to say it, but too many triathletes I know are overly self involved. I like the trail running and mountain biking crowd much more. That said, I think I will do another one someday (after my girls are older).

mtbr member
    Cape Cod, October of '88. Haven't swum a single stroke since that day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have. The bike is only 112 miles though.

It was not too bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Which is time of winner?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Only a 112 bike ride? I'm less impressed now Poor 80 year old guy kept falling onto his knees and getting up. It was like Frasier vrs Ali. Skinny bugger could not have been over 100 lbs. Those Ironman look like they need to eat and eat now....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I don't think that it's the race or sport that "lures" addictive or self-absorbed people to them, I think it's just that we notice self-absorbed triathletes more than self-absorbed musicians and model railroaders and arts & crafts types because we're in that culture and mix with that type more than the others. I think all of life is a bell curve and there are the same percentage of nut jobs, reasonables, and extremists in every sport, career, interest group, etc.

Regarding training for an ironman, if you have a job and a family, I don't see how you could train well for all three sports well and still be properly dedicated to the job and the family. If you only have a job (are single), I could see training well for all three, but it would be all of your free time. To do a reasonable job of training, it can definitely be done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Mudge, my husband and I were at the Cape Cod race (Bud Light Endurathon) in 1988, also our first! He was headed toward Europe in that rough swim! We did 13 more, and now just mountain bike. Much more fun than swimming, riding, and running with 2,200 others!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elle Elle View Post
    Mudge, my husband and I were at the Cape Cod race (Bud Light Endurathon) in 1988, also our first! He was headed toward Europe in that rough swim! We did 13 more, and now just mountain bike. Much more fun than swimming, riding, and running with 2,200 others!
    Very nice.

When I look back on the experience it amazes me I didn't kill myself, I did almost everything wrong. I distinctly remember feeling like I was floating on air, running almost effortlessly the last mile or so under the lights... until I saw the photos later and thought I looked like at just escaped from a gulag. Dead man shuffling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Have done two. Like anything, unless you are properly prepared it will bring you to your knees. First one went as good as it could have, second one I trained through a sports hernia (severely underprepared) and i had to get off my bike for the first time in my life. Could. Not. Pedal. Anymore. Finished, but the next week was painful. Took this year off to do xterras and some long MTb rides, but planning on another IM next year. They are a different kind of fun.

mtbr member
    My multisport club is full of IM'ers. I'm not one of them. Several have done Kona as well. The training really takes over your life. And it ain't cheap (entry fees, websuit, TT bike, running shoes, etc).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevan View Post
    My multisport club is full of IM'ers. I'm not one of them. Several have done Kona as well. The training really takes over your life. And it ain't cheap (entry fees, websuit, TT bike, running shoes, etc).
    This is very true.

I had a lot of fun, but I don't have any plans to repeat my IM experience now that I have a child. It would be very selfish and probably end up with my wife leaving me if I actually trained properly.

mtbr member
    Yep, did two 25 years ago! I had been accepted for Hawaii via the lottery and so did one as a "training race" in May 87'. It was the "Lone Star Full Triathlon. VERY low-key event, well held, you needed to supply your own pit crew, only 13 entries. But there were no cut-off times so I didn't have to worry about "timing out" like in Hawaii.I had been training since '82 by taking swimming classes, running longer, biking longer and doing as many triathlons as I could of various distances. In the years I trained I did 7 marathons, many, many 100 miler bike rides, two 150 milers and one 200 miler in one day. The "Lone Star" race really beat me up the run was laps around a campground near Canyon lake near San Antonio and it was very monotonous. I sure wanted to quit on the run, I was dead tired, beaten, but my wife (at the time) wouldn't let me quit. She knew I'd be miserable later if I didn't finish. During the run I said I didn't want to go to Hawaii, (had plane tickets bought and reservations at hotel all ready to go). It took me 19 1/2 hours to do the race.
    I felt better the next day after some rest. Continued to train and did Hawaii in 15H 18 minutes, and had FUN!! It was a great experience and I do not regret having done the training and done the races. I am very proud and it does take a LOT of work/time.

But it does create an "imbalance" of time in one's life. I had a full time job, wife, 3 kids a house etc, and a lot of the home maintenance and a lot of "family time" didn't happen though I tried to make my races fun family, camping outings.

I was a LOT younger (41) and had no body parts replaced yet. It's NOT for everyone and I am really glad I did all the training I had to do in order to go and FINISH!! (Too damn far and too much $$$$ for a DNF; just MY opinion). The race isn't for everyone.
    Two years later I sobered up and worked on my recovery and in 92 needed my first hip replacement. Started mtn bike riding and racing in '95 up to two years ago; back trouble and asthma and my 4th hip replacement. i now ride for just fun. But all in all my whole life has been "a really good run". Hey it's NOT for everybody but it works for me!! Have fun whatever event or whatever you do.
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!