Dreaming of single-track.

Have you used Elete add-in?

I'm testing Elete electrolyte add-in this weekend. I saw that Jeff Kerkove is using it and yes, I guess I'm a product of good marketing... I was wondering if anyone on the boards has used it and could provide any useful experiences.

Thanks.
    Michael.
    blog
    fb

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Michael:
    I haven't tried it, but I think the info on Kerkove is old. He just started a sponsorship with PowerBar Team Elite.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Yep, I use it and love it. (FYI: not sponsored by them). Flavorless, tasteless (unless you add a sh*t load of it). I add it to Gatorade and to the water in my hydration pack. Has really helped me with cramping a lot. Endurlytes help a ton of folks too. The capsules make me gag though. Tried the powder once. Truthfully my shop always Elete in stock, so it's super easy to pick some up pretty cheap. Like anything, I wouldn't try it for the first time in a race, but worth a try for sure. Good luck and happy testing.
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

Happy, in the woods.
    Nov 2008
    I've good luck with Elete. Mixes with anything and has a good variety of electrolytes. As the summer heats up and I sweat (a ton) more I find the electrolytes in HEED or cytomax aren't quite potent enough to keep up with the perspiration. Works for me, but YMMV.
    Abba Zaba, you my only friend....

Harmonius Wrench
    I started using Elete when Jeff Kerkove was working with me at the bike shop I wrench for. Since that time I have had zero issues with cramping. I mix mine in a bit heavier than recommended by Elete, because I tend to sweat alot, but if you mix it in as recommended you can not taste it.

Not sponsored by Elete, I'm just a satisfied user.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    Yes, been using it since 2004 or 2005. Got it in a race bag....used it...liked it! I use it because it works for me, can customize the dosage, and you don't have to suck down as many pills like the other electrolyte products out there. Elete is one of the most potent electrolyte supplements out there....a good bang-for-your-buck. If it didn't work....I would not put it in my body. I would call/email Elete and ask for a sample before you buy. They are pretty easy to work with.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    i use it and love it. only thing i run in a camelbak. i add it to gu brew for more electrolytes and i've takes shots of it to stem cramps if i'm really sweating my butt off. tastes like hell straight, but fixes cramps damn near instantly. mixed properly it is tasteless.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    yup...works for me....i was introduced to Elete during BCBR in 2007.....been using it ever since....
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Waiting for Godot
    [QUOTE=jasondean]Yep, I use it and love it. (FYI: not sponsored by them). Flavorless, tasteless (unless you add a sh*t load of it). I add it to Gatorade /QUOTE]

i am surprised you are using gatorade. short chain sugar water like that is a no-no for endurance riding.

i could not get elete to work for me. i have a very high metabolism and it was either too much or too little. even though the mix was always the same, i got uneven results.

Endurlytes works amazing and solved every problem at any length of riding time. i use the powder and mix it in my drink once i found the right amount to use. more heat, more sweat, more drink more edurlyte. as long as you keep to 28 oz h2o per hour your electrolyte mix will not get off. there is only so much your body can absorb per hour.
    get to know me thru my blog
    http://oilcanracer.blogspot.com/

spend $$ at my sponsors shop http://www.revolutionutah.com/

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    I received some samples to review over this season. I am a chronic cramper-upper. So far so good, and I have been on some pretty hard rides with it. I really appreciate the way it is in every sip of the water from the hydration pack rather then a pill(s) I need to take.

I am a fan so far.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

For me the powder is good...

Quote Originally Posted by OilcanRacer
    i am surprised you are using gatorade. short chain sugar water like that is a no-no for endurance riding.
    I have had great success with original flavor powdered Gatorade. The pre mixed bottles are too sugary and syrupy for me and my stomach. I've use about everything over the years, but the powder is cheap, and works for me. And I can add Elete or a carb fuel like CytoCarb or Carbo-Pro to make customize it on the cheap.

I have had a LOT of bad luck with stomach issues over the years mostly due to dehydration. I would start out drinking Brand X, get sick of the taste, find myself not drinking, find myself dehydrated, find myself nauseated, find myself vomiting on the side of the trail, find myself with a DNF. I find that my palette tolerates Gatorade the most and so I continue to drink it longer and avoid dehydration. Think it has a lot to do with me being a cheap b@stard too! LOL!

But we're all different, and what works for me might make someone else poop the chamois.
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

Ok, thanks all for your perspectives and (wow) thanks Jeff K. for responding to my modest post...

I have to confess - 50 miles on the road with it and I didn't notice a difference. I'm sure it's not hurting me, just not sure what it's doing for me either... I'm doing 110+ tomorrow so I'll mix it with my normal stuff and see how it goes. I'll post again with observations...

Cheers.
    Michael.
    blog
    fb

mnoutain bkie rdier

Question???

Would there be ANY benefit to me if I NEVER have issues with cramping? This has got me interested...seems like a good product...

Dirty South Underdog
    It's possible- if you lose a lot of salt in your sweat, then replacing it (along with an appropriate amount of water) could help you maintain your hydration better than water alone. The less dehydrated you are, the better.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Disclaimer: I work for elete

We received several requests for samples from this discussion and we are delighted to oblige!

Please feel free to contact me directly with questions at sarahk@eletewater.com. I have a significant amount of personal experience with elete as a racer (Pro level XC and endurance) and knowledge with respect to our products in particular, but also with respect to general electrolyte issues for endurance athletes. I am more than happy to help.

As far as electrolyte needs for people who do not generally experience cramping, yes, you can absolutely benefit from electrolyte supplementation and I would be happy to explain why in more detail, if you are interested.

Thanks for all of your interest - hope this isn't interpreted as spam, we would just like to be helpful! Happy trails, keep the rubber side down

I'd like to post a follow-up to wrap up this thread. I've been using Elete during and after workouts for the last couple of weeks. I've also worked in a couple of bottles just during work as prescribed by Sarah from Elete... This past weekend, I rode the Seven Sisters loop from SF twice (once on Saturday and again on Monday) - The loop is 60 miles with approximately 5300 feet of climbing door to door.

At first I wasn't expecting much but I have to admit that Sarah's comments were pretty accurate. I can't say I noticed a 'buzz' like you get from caffeine or gels, but I did have a more consistent power curve than ever before. Where it counted was during the latter parts of the ride. I had a good reserve when normally I would be just crawling to get home... I also drank one less bottle than I normally do for this ride. I actually dumped a bottle while on the queen-climb to lose weight. I felt fine, hydrated and oddly enough my legs almost had a relaxed feeling to them, normally they are in knots on the climbs. To add context: my bike is geared for the East Coast, I don't use a compact crank and I have an older 9 speed cog... I normally have to kill it on these climbs no matter my fitness level...

Two days later I did the same ride and was a little sore at the start but I finished with the same (ride) time and average speed as two days before. In fact, I skipped the last water stop at the ranger station on top of Mount Tam completely.

Now, it is June and my fitness is pretty good for this time of year (for me). But I have never felt quit like this before. Using Elete is the only thing that I've changed and the consistency of these two days was proof that something with me has changed. I'll keep testing to make sure I didn't just have a freakish couple of days, but from where I'm standing the stuff works - thanks Sarah.
    Michael.
    blog
    fb

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    A few more thoughts on how Elete has treated me over this last spring/early summer. I am pretty happy so far.

http://www.thecyclistsite.com/review...te-add-in.html
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com