Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    754

    Hate my drop bars any other suggestions?

    I built up my first dedicated gravel grinder and I've discovered I hate drop bars. Not sure if I can get use to them. Does anyone have any other styles they recommend? H bar, mustache, etc... that the use and like for long gravel rides. Whatever I switch to, it would be nice if I can make my 105 levers work with it. Not sure that will happen or not.
    Thanks.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

  2. #2
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    I built up my first dedicated gravel grinder and I've discovered I hate drop bars. Not sure if I can get use to them. Does anyone have any other styles they recommend? H bar, mustache, etc... that the use and like for long gravel rides. Whatever I switch to, it would be nice if I can make my 105 levers work with it. Not sure that will happen or not.
    Thanks.
    Which dropbars do you have? They are not all the same.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    754
    Ritchey Comp 6061. I pulled them off a road bike I had.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

  4. #4
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Ritchey Comp 6061. I pulled them off a road bike I had.
    Try an off-road dropbar, like the On-One Midge. Flared, shallow drop, short reach.

    On-One Midge Handlebar
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    435
    I've got a gravel grinder project bike in the works and have been doing lots of research on bars. My opinion is that regular road drop bars wouldn't be comfortable for dirt/gravel, that you need the bars a bit higher than as setup for road and the drops a bit shallower. On my road bike, I ride the hoods 90% of the time (only on steep downhills do I go into the drops), but off-road I'd want to be in the drops more often.

    I'm certainly no expert, but here are some alternatives to consider and there certainly are more (google is your friend).

    - Midge bars as previously mentioned. I bought a pair but I'm concerned that the drop area is too short for my large hands, so they might end up on eBay for $25 (PM if interested)
    - Salsa Cowbell - seems to have lots of favor for gravel grinder/cyclocross. More room on the drops, yet the hoods would still be comfortable. More "roadie" than....
    - Salsa Woodchipper - stock with Fargo. More flared than the Cowbell.
    - Ragley Luxy
    - WTB mountain drop bar
    - Jones Loop H-Bar - I just picked up one of these for my SS and I love it, but I'd think it would be too wide for a gravel grinder. What do I mean? It's width is great for technical single track, but if I was sitting in that position for a long period just cruising along I wouldn't like it. Yeah, there are other hand positions on the loop, but then you don't have easy access to the brakes (i.e. not the same as riding on the hoods on a road bike). That's why I've been looking at the Cowbell and Woodchipper as alternatives.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    435
    BTW your 105 levers (brifters, i.e. brake and shifter levers?) will work with all but the loop bars. I'm not sure if they'll fit on the loop bars, and if so might be hard to get set up.

    Also - while I have no firsthand experience with mustache bars, several of my friends have used them and they all say that they have only one comfortable hand position, and that's in the "drops".

  7. #7
    Spooooon!
    Reputation: Hairllama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    673
    I really didn't like the Woodchippers I had. The Cowbells feel promising for gravel. I have a bike with Jones bars that I love for gravel, but the Cowbells on my Vaya seem a little faster setup with more hand positions.

  8. #8
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,719
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    ...Midge bars as previously mentioned. I bought a pair but I'm concerned that the drop area is too short for my large hands...
    You can add ~1cm to the ends by using 3/4" rubber chair leg tips with a nickel inside as bar plugs. Also creates a great bumper if the bar can hit your top tube.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    You can add ~1cm to the ends by using 3/4" rubber chair leg tips with a nickel inside as bar plugs. Also creates a great bumper if the bar can hit your top tube.
    Good idea but I was planning on running bar end shifters.

  10. #10
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,719
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    Good idea but I was planning on running bar end shifters.
    Even better. The shifter adds to the end length and puts the lever right where you need it without having to cut the bar shorter.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    9
    Salsa Woodchipper, I have them on 3 of my bikes, Salsa Vaya, Chilli Con Crosso and Bontrager Poprad. Most comfortable drop bars I have ridden. Even did a few CX races this fall with them.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    754
    Thanks everyone. You think my 105 brifters would fit/work on the Origin 8 bullnose? Or would it be awkward?
    Products Description – ORIGIN-8
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

  13. #13
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Thanks everyone. You think my 105 brifters would fit/work on the Origin 8 bullnose? Or would it be awkward?
    Products Description ORIGIN-8
    Will not work at all.
    Road levers work only on dropbars or mustachebars
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny7 View Post
    Ritchey Comp 6061. I pulled them off a road bike I had.
    I think you've found, as I and most others have, road bars don't work well for gravel rigs.

    I have a set of Cowbell 2 bars on my gravel bike. Excellent position options AND the levers still set up essentially like they're supposed to (not tilted all caddywampus).

  15. #15
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    47,719
    Quote Originally Posted by mudge View Post
    I think you've found, as I and most others have, road bars don't work well for gravel rigs.

    I have a set of Cowbell 2 bars on my gravel bike. Excellent position options AND the levers still set up essentially like they're supposed to (not tilted all caddywampus).
    I prefer the lever angles on Midge bars to that on standard road drops.
    Easy shifting. Easy braking. Comfortable position on the hoods.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I prefer the lever angles on Midge bars to that on standard road drops.
    Easy shifting. Easy braking. Comfortable position on the hoods.
    x2, my bar of choice by far. nothing like a road drop.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    754
    Just ordered the Midge. Thanks.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    754
    Sold the midge bars and bought a jones loop. Love it. Had to change shifters and brake levers. They have 4 or 5 different hand positions that really help over 50+ miles. Maybe if i tried longer I would get use to drops but if I'm gonna spend the time and effort to get use to something it should probably be the taste of broccoli.
    Small ring in front makes it easier. Small ring in back makes it harder. That blows my mind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •