Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: hampshire 100

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

hampshire 100

thinking about doing the Hampshire 100. anybody give me an idea on what the course might be like. I know the elevation but kind of curious if it is a faster 100 or it is tons of slow single track. I have done the Vermont 50 before so how would it compare to that one? any info would be appreciated cause i am hoping to add this in for a fun experience in august. for the record i am only talking about the 100k option not the 100 mile option. baby steps and hopefully next year i might do the 100 mile option.

thanks,
    adam

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am signed up for this....first timer for this type of event. There are a couple youtube videos on the event site. It does not look overly technical, but videos never seem to capture steepness very well. In the class I signed up for (novice vet I), finishing times last year ranged from 7-11 hours. Winning 100k time was 5+ hours. The participant guide has a description of the course, and it sounds like a decent amount of jeep roads and two track, with some pretty long, non-tech climbs. Everyone seems to groan about something called the "power line climb"....

Aid stations every ten miles or so and waves start going off at 6:45. That's about all I know...

mtbr member
    Is it in New Hampshire?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I did the 100k last year , it was great! Very similiar to VT 50.I'm going again this year,looking forward to a better finish time as i went kinda easy last year.Very well run event and lots of water stops,more than i've ever seen and i 've done all the east coast NUE100's.Good luck.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDESLOW View Post
    I did the 100k last year , it was great! Very similiar to VT 50.I'm going again this year,looking forward to a better finish time as i went kinda easy last year.Very well run event and lots of water stops,more than i've ever seen and i 've done all the east coast NUE100's.Good luck.
    glad to hear it. if you don't mind what cat do you ride and what was your time. I am cat 3 guy and curious how long it would take me to finish. I did the vt50 in 7hr 11min. by looking at the results not many people in the novice category finish the nh100 that quick. it seems I should plan on 8-9hrs.

all of the race reports I read didn't really like the course that much. lots of complaints of a 1.5 mile stretch of soft sand near an airport, and a lot of the climbs are littered with baby head rocks which kind of makes them almost unridable unless you want to empty your tank trying to clean it.

I am still on the fence. I might just to it so that I can have my own opinion on what the course is like.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I did it in 7:30 approx, in cat 2 , 50 plus.I liked the course just fine , as did the 3 people
    who were with me . We're from NY so rocks are not a problem,i don't remember it being to tough,baby heads you roll over , some big ones take a little effort.
    I got off and walked on one or 2 obstacles , only takes a moment.
    The fiddler was awesome ! !

unpossibles
    I registered back in February, I can't wait! First endurance event for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Sounds there are a few rocks.....how much of the course is pounding through rock gardens? It may affect bike choice for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I will be using my Scalpel ,My hardtail is staying home .

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    there are two videos on Hampshire100.com I have never ridden the course but after watching those two videos I feel like I had a much better idea of what to expect on the course. they are both over ten minutes long.

mtbr member

hampshire 100

2 of the most boring videos I've ever seen. I'll be there , 100mile version. I'll be riding my fatbike. Power line climb is a beast, the rest of the course is pretty non-techy. They do a great job with the event overall.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    From the participant guide, it looks like there are aid stations every 8-15 miles, with most closer to 8 miles apart. What would you all recommend for water? I am thinking of just keeping my 2L camelback half full and finishing it between stations, in other words, drinking a liter every 10 miles or so, and then re-filling and having a snack at the aid stops. Does that sound reasonable?

Also, they mention that a route sheet will be provided...I assume that just means you keep it folded up somewhere until you get lost. Or, do people use a roll chart and keep track as they are riding (enduro motorcycle thing)?

mtbr member

hampshire 100

I didn't even carry the course sheet. Well marked, lots of people, but hey, I live on the edge. I'll be carrying two water bottles...one water, one supplemental... And gels, blocks, endurolytes. Refills and eating real food at the stations, which really are well stocked.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    just signed up. I delayed as long as possible to make sure the weather would be good and it looks pretty good to me so I went for it.

I am with schott. I do bottles, with blocks and gels. if I get a hungry feeling I will eat something at one of the aid stations but I try to not stop more than I need to. what seems like a 2 minute stop is usually closer to ten minutes and that can add up after three or four stop that were not really needed.

I do carry three bottles instead of two though. two on the bike and one in a jersey pocket. whenever I finish a bottle I switch it out with the one in my jersey, I can barely notice the bottle when full but when it is empty I definitely don't notice it. I am fortunate enough to have my wife handing me prefilled bottles at the stations they will let her get to.

schott I will keep an eye out for you since it should be pretty easy to spot a fat bike out there.

does anybody have a good line on a hotel that is close. only ones with available rooms are like an hour away, that is doable but I wouldn't mind being a little closer.

mtbr member
    I live 30 minutes away. Google B&B's and Motels in Greenfield, Wilton, Milford and Peterborough.
    I'm afraid of heights so a 26'r fits me to a T.

mtbr member

hampshire 100

Yup, skinny guy on the fat bike, I'll be easy to spot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    One last stupid noobie question....will I need some sort of number plate holder apparatus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish29er View Post
    One last stupid noobie question....will I need some sort of number plate holder apparatus?
    No.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks-just having memories of my first tri where I had to run around and try to find a number belt I could borrow...all that prep and one little piece of gear holds up the process....

mtbr member
    Where are you coming from?
    Years ago, I've ridden a bunch of that stuff. Greenfield has long been a forum for mountain biking. I'm hoping to get back into the kind of shape where I can do a 50 without totally falling apart. There are a lot of hills and depending on the actual course could be some technical to challenge. Most of the area is bedded in sand and gravel, so I would consider that for tire choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumblefish29er View Post
    Thanks-just having memories of my first tri where I had to run around and try to find a number belt I could borrow...all that prep and one little piece of gear holds up the process....

mtbr member

hampshire 100

^^^yeah, dood...the BEACH. Can't wait to blow through there on my fatbike. All smiles, I'm sure.

mtbr member
    I'll be the old guy toodling around, riding some of the course and trying to stay out of trouble--on a new Yeti 575 black.
    Ford F150 gray--with 'Make Room Remodeling' signs in side windows.
    Say hello.
    index

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Settertude View Post
    Where are you coming from?
    Years ago, I've ridden a bunch of that stuff. Greenfield has long been a forum for mountain biking. I'm hoping to get back into the kind of shape where I can do a 50 without totally falling apart. There are a lot of hills and depending on the actual course could be some technical to challenge. Most of the area is bedded in sand and gravel, so I would consider that for tire choice.
    I live down in PA, so roots and rocks are the norm here. Tech climbs yes, long climbs, not really. I went with some tubeless Kenda slant sixs, so hopefully the techy stuff does not get too slimy

mtbr member
    The weather has been and will be dry and most of that stuff is high, so drains well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    schott,

how bad is the section of beach. is it even ridable on a regular bike? how long does it go? i have ridden in some really soft sand living so close to cape cod. you can usually find some firmer more rideable stuff on the edges somewhere.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast