Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hammer VS. Infinit Nutrition

Has anyone tried both and come to a determination of which is better??

I tried the Hammer perpetuem for a 24 hour solo mtb race last year and I did like it a lot...no gastric issues and it kept me going........BUT juggling the proper dose of perpetuem, gels, and electrolyte tabs was a pain in the ass. On top of that, the perpetuem was nasty tasting when it wasn't ice cold.

I REALLY like the concept behind Infinit Nutrition....one drink mix that has it all. However, I drank some promotional infinit free stuff (maybe too much?) at the 24 hours of Moab that I rode in a team....I ended up with the classic mid race gas issue. Granted the drink was free and wasn't "customized" for me...maybe that's what caused it?

I hope to only hear from people who have tried both and decided one is better than the other. I've read plenty of old posts from people who've ONLY tried hammer or ONLY infinit....they were helpful, but just didn't quite answer my question.

I'd appreciate any input from anyone who may be, or have been in my shoes?
    I've not been killed, only wounded...I'll just lie here a while and bleed, then rise again to fight another day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Well I've tried neither, but think I can offer helpful advice anyway: the only way you will know what works for you is by trying them. Another person's experience may be totally different than yours, so anecdotal tales from others are probably not worth much.

This place needs an enema
    I checked both websites and could find zero evidence of anything resembling food, anywhere. Nothin' even looked edible.

I recommend eating real food.

Takes some practice to find out what to eat, when, and how much, but it is infinitely more satisfying and successful than consuming whatever it is that H and I are selling.

Just one guy's opinion...

MC

mtbr member
    I do eat real food during the races...but I do like the convenience of the liquid fuel for when I'm riding....so I'm just trying to get opinions about the two product lines.
    I've not been killed, only wounded...I'll just lie here a while and bleed, then rise again to fight another day.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have used both for various length events (primarily the bike portions of long-course triathlons) and now have a strong preference for Infinit.

I found Hammer's HEED excellent for short time use (under 2 hours), but found that for anything longer than 2 hours the sweetness was too much and I found it very hard to keep taking it in.

I found Hammer's Perpeteum okay for the first very cold bottle, but after that I could not keep taking it in as the taste required more focus to take than I had. I did not even want to smell it, let alone drink it.

I think Hammer gels are fine, but I prefer Roctane and Accelerade chocolate.

For the past few years, I have been using my own mix of Infinit (approx 300 cals/serving) and really think it is excellent. I generally concentrate (up to 3 servings/water bottle - but really prefer 2 servings/water bottle) so I have dialed down the flavor and will take some water with the concentrated mix. It has served me well in many races.

mtbr member
    I used to use hammer and had some stomach issues. I've been with INFINIT for a few months now and have to say this stuff is amazing. The fact that you can change the calories, carbs, protien, sodium etc to what works for your body not just a generic scopp where you have to guess. Plus the taste of a lot of the drinks are to strong after a long time so the only way to deal with it is to weaken the mix. With INFINIT you can adjust that also.

Today was a 5 hour ride and all I used was a mix I have designed for 24 hour events, Had zero hunger, no energy loss etc with a total of 5 bottles used.

Not proping this stuff up because of sponsorship, just because it works amazing

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have also tried both and come to prefer Infinit. I tried to for years to use Sustained Energy because I knew so many people who swore by it. But ultimately I had to conclude that it neither worked with my stomach nor fueled me very well (probably one a result of the other). I was wary of Infinit because I figured it was going to be very much the same. However, I found that being able to customize a mix for me allowed me to consume what my body could tolerate and not consume what it couldn't. (Sounds simple but it's true). I'm hooked.

For the record, I also eat plenty of other stuff during long races but it is handy to have a drink to suck down when you're stomach is turning down whole food.

Just Wanna Ride!
    Feb 2004
    removed
    Last edited by NCtrailX; 04-12-2009 at 07:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    For those that have tried the custom Infinit products did you get it right on your first order and if so how? I guess I figure that the first time getting to go completely custom one wouldn't really know exactly what they could tolerate or would want unless you had already found a product that worked. Or did you "copy", from a nutrition standpoint, an existing product you had used with moderate success and made small tweaks to flavor or something? If that is the case where is the advantage?

Has anyone used the Get Started interview with them to great success?

Livin' the Dream
    I used Infinit's 5+ hour endurance formula as a base and tweaked it. I need a lot more electrolytes than Cytomax and HEED (which makes me wanna puke) for example so I bumped them up to 550g. When you do that the osmality will go up so you have to lower the flavor slider. It all makes sense when you do it on the site. I prefer it over Perpetuum b/c I need the electrolytes and I hate keeping up with pills, gels, solid food and drink and oh yeah, racing my bike.
    Last edited by Asbury; 05-11-2009 at 08:09 AM.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    I'd rather drink Monkey urine than HEED.

You down with entropy?
    Quote Originally Posted by js2501
    For those that have tried the custom Infinit products did you get it right on your first order and if so how? I guess I figure that the first time getting to go completely custom one wouldn't really know exactly what they could tolerate or would want unless you had already found a product that worked. Or did you "copy", from a nutrition standpoint, an existing product you had used with moderate success and made small tweaks to flavor or something? If that is the case where is the advantage?

Has anyone used the Get Started interview with them to great success?

I created 2 formulas, one with and one without protein. I used a combination of the get started interview + looking at the Etough formulas/other endurance bike formulas + some other tweaking for me.

So far I am liking what I have, I have been almost 100% liquid on my long endurance rides. the formula with protein has even been good to my while pushing pretty hard (in the past I had some stomach issues with other products). I may further tweak when I re-order but mostly just fine tuning. Right now I can say that I will dial down the flavor a bit on my fruit punch version. Other than that I hope to be testing them out in a race situation this weekend (it was supposed to be last weekend but the race got postponed).

I did feel that it was a bit of a blind leap creating and ordering my own formula but it has worked out great so far

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RSW42
    I'd rather drink Monkey urine than HEED.
    That's funny.

no it's not beer but I think HEED tastes great compared to other carb/electrolyte drinks. Just not the melon flavor.

perpetuem has worked for me on 12 and 24hr races. Along with gel, boiled potatoes, and PB-banana sandwiches. I have yet to try infinit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by esilvassy
    I used a combination of the get started interview + looking at the Etough formulas/other endurance bike formulas + some other tweaking for me.

Where'd you find the Etough formulas?

mtbr member
    you can find the Eatough formula in the usa site. Look under signature series. if you use discount code MATTMTB it will get you 10 percent off your order

Here is the link to Chris's premixes. I use a slightly modified version of the 24 hour mix and have ahd awesome results with it.

http://www.infinitnutrition.us/produ...?idCategory=39

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    No experience with Infinit, but Hammer's Perpetuem works really for me.

One change I've made for a 33 ounce bottle is that I now use 2 scoops of Perpetuem with 1 or 1.5 scoops of Heed. It really improved the taste for me. A lot crisper and less chalky. A big improvement, especially late in a 100 mile race, when nothing you grab is cold anymore.

I tried the same thing with powdered Gatorade, and it worked well, too, but with a stronger flavor than the Heed.

I like real food more than almost anybody I know, but in races, no thanks. Other than a brownie or two, I do races with Perpetuem/Heed and shots, and I prefer to mix and match the shots for variety.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

mtbr member
    the first and only time I did a 24 hour solo I took a break for some real food around 4:30 in the afternoon.....had a brautwurst, potatoe salad, and some baked beans. Three hours later I was finally able to get back on my bike. WHAT was I thinking? haha! It sure tasted good!

mtbr member
    Hey all. I am not going to get into the who's better conversation but I will point of the differenced between the products. They are very different from an ingredient POV.

Hammer is a 100% maltodextrine product. They do not believe in using simple sugars because they believe it causes an insulyn spike and a resulting "crash".
    They are isotonic, meaning that they should not cause many stomach issues.
    They use Soy as a protein source because certain aminos in whey (L-Gleut) produce ammonia which is a bad thing for athletes.
    To use their system you need to take their drinks, gels and supplement with e-caps.

INFINIT uses a mix of 3 different carbs maltodextrine, glucose and sucrose. Reseach shows that multiple carbs increases caloric absorbtion rates by 25-30%.
    Infinit has an osmolality calculator on the website in order to ensure that your mix is isotonic also, again it should not cause any stomach issues.
    Infinit uses whey because it is more stable in the heat and does not get skunky or sour like soy.
    Infinit allows you to custom make you own "brew" and match calories to body size, electrolyte to sweat rates, add protein or caffiene and also to adjust flavor to make it taste how you want.
    There is no need to supplement with gels, salt pills and in most cases food for racing.

That is as unbiassed side by side evaluation as I can give you.

Slummin'
    Sep 2007
    As someone who has used both Hammer and Infinit products I feel like tossing an opnion into the hat in hopes that it may help you.

When I started getting into the enduro scene and getting serious about nutrition everyone seemed to think that Hammer was the catís meow. So like many others I jumped on board and after a lot of research ordered few tubs of many different powders. I donít know how much money I spent racing with Hammer products for a year but it seems like most of my money went towards entry fees and Hammer products. I wonít say that Hammer products are bad but I will honestly say that they are touchy and when used properly will work as stated and used within guidelines. What really sucked was bringing along several big tubs (because it was cheaper to buy large amounts) of Heed, Perpetum, Sustained Energy and Recoverite to the races and trying to remember the ratio of what to mix with what to get the desired effect at 3am during a 24 hour race was a bit of a pain. I did have stomach problems when mixing Hammer stuff with certain other products. I also learned the hard way that pre-mixing a bottle of sustained/heed the night before a 100 miler then letting it sit in the heat for 6 hours is a no no!

At the 24 Hours of Big Bear last year I nabbed a few sample packets of the Infinit Nutrition pre mix long distance formula. After a quick taste test at the Infinit booth I decided to take a chance and run the sample packets as my main drink mix during the race. The pre mix plan sounded like a solid idea and I figured at the worst I could switch back to my Hammer mix. Although the initial taste of the pre mix Infinit stuff was a bit strong for me (I like a very light slightly flavored water taste) I was able to easily drink my bottles throughout each lap and never had any stomach issues. In fact I liked it so much I went back to the booth mid race and begged a few more sample packets to finish out the race. That was the start of it all and ever since then I have used nothing but Infinit Nutrition for my long distance ride all day fuel.

I will admit that when first ordering your custom blend Infinit Nutrition formula it almost feels like a bit of a leap of faith and most people I talk to say they second guessed themselves a few times but were ultimately happy with the end result. If in doubt you can always do the phone consultation to make sure that you are getting what you need. So what do I like most about Infinit and what keeps my business pointed in their direction. Simple, the product works and works reliably. I always get the same great results from my blends. And I only have to take 2 environmentally friendly bags with me to races. Being a self supported endurance racer I need things to be fast and idiot proof. When I roll into my pit at 5am I pull out one bag and dump 2 scoops of the ďMetro goes longĒ formula into each bottle, give it a few shakes and head back out for another lap.

Different strokes for different folks for sure but Infinit works for me and thatís all I really need.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by metro
    As someone who has used both Hammer and Infinit products I feel like tossing an opnion into the hat in hopes that it may help you....................When I roll into my pit at 5am I pull out one bag and dump 2 scoops of the “Metro goes long” formula into each bottle, give it a few shakes and head back out for another lap.

Different strokes for different folks for sure but Infinit works for me and that’s all I really need.

This seems to be my story word for word...except it sounds like you ride more races than I do! You make a great argument for infinit and covered all the points that I was wondering about...I'm sold, I'll be trying infinit during my next 24 hour race this coming June.

I am curious though...do you do supplement with any real food? If so, what's working for you???

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by metro
    As someone who has used both Hammer and Infinit products I feel like tossing an opnion into the hat in hopes that it may help you.

When I started getting into the enduro scene and getting serious about nutrition everyone seemed to think that Hammer was the catís meow. So like many others I jumped on board and after a lot of research ordered few tubs of many different powders. I donít know how much money I spent racing with Hammer products for a year but it seems like most of my money went towards entry fees and Hammer products. I wonít say that Hammer products are bad but I will honestly say that they are touchy and when used properly will work as stated and used within guidelines. What really sucked was bringing along several big tubs (because it was cheaper to buy large amounts) of Heed, Perpetum, Sustained Energy and Recoverite to the races and trying to remember the ratio of what to mix with what to get the desired effect at 3am during a 24 hour race was a bit of a pain. I did have stomach problems when mixing Hammer stuff with certain other products. I also learned the hard way that pre-mixing a bottle of sustained/heed the night before a 100 miler then letting it sit in the heat for 6 hours is a no no!

At the 24 Hours of Big Bear last year I nabbed a few sample packets of the Infinit Nutrition pre mix long distance formula. After a quick taste test at the Infinit booth I decided to take a chance and run the sample packets as my main drink mix during the race. The pre mix plan sounded like a solid idea and I figured at the worst I could switch back to my Hammer mix. Although the initial taste of the pre mix Infinit stuff was a bit strong for me (I like a very light slightly flavored water taste) I was able to easily drink my bottles throughout each lap and never had any stomach issues. In fact I liked it so much I went back to the booth mid race and begged a few more sample packets to finish out the race. That was the start of it all and ever since then I have used nothing but Infinit Nutrition for my long distance ride all day fuel.

I will admit that when first ordering your custom blend Infinit Nutrition formula it almost feels like a bit of a leap of faith and most people I talk to say they second guessed themselves a few times but were ultimately happy with the end result. If in doubt you can always do the phone consultation to make sure that you are getting what you need. So what do I like most about Infinit and what keeps my business pointed in their direction. Simple, the product works and works reliably. I always get the same great results from my blends. And I only have to take 2 environmentally friendly bags with me to races. Being a self supported endurance racer I need things to be fast and idiot proof. When I roll into my pit at 5am I pull out one bag and dump 2 scoops of the ďMetro goes longĒ formula into each bottle, give it a few shakes and head back out for another lap.

Different strokes for different folks for sure but Infinit works for me and thatís all I really need.
    Might be too late to be of any use, but did you consider pre-measuring the various Hammer products you needed, putting them into ziploc bags? Roll in, take your bottle, pour in a little water and the contents of one pre-mixed baggie, shake a little, fill with water the rest of the way, shake some more, and away you go.

Just 'cause one product comes in single serving packets doesn't mean you can't create your own single serving sized packets of other products. For as long as I can recall I've carried refills of powdered mix of whatever liquid nutrition I was using on my longer rides in ziploc bags, refilling water bottles when necessary. A sandwich-sized bag will carry up to a 4hr bottle's worth of SE or Perpetuem, no problem.

Another pre-race tip: put multiple gel packs in one flask, diluted a little with water so they go down easier. If you can reach for a gel pack in your pocket, you can reach for a flask. No messing around with opening the packs while on the bike and no littering (accidental or otherwise).

mtbr member
    For you infinit users, I have another question for ya...

I received an e-mail from some dude at infinit answering a couple questions that I threw at them. He kept talking about keeping things at level 4or5, 1or2...etc. When I look at the sliders, are the tall lines the levels, and the short lines 1/2 a level, or is every line a level? Kinda seems like a dumb question, but I have a hunch that it could make a big difference.

If anyone has an answer, let me know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steady Grind
    Has anyone tried both and come to a determination of which is better??

I tried the Hammer perpetuem for a 24 hour solo mtb race last year and I did like it a lot...no gastric issues and it kept me going........BUT juggling the proper dose of perpetuem, gels, and electrolyte tabs was a pain in the ass. On top of that, the perpetuem was nasty tasting when it wasn't ice cold.

I REALLY like the concept behind Infinit Nutrition....one drink mix that has it all. However, I drank some promotional infinit free stuff (maybe too much?) at the 24 hours of Moab that I rode in a team....I ended up with the classic mid race gas issue. Granted the drink was free and wasn't "customized" for me...maybe that's what caused it?

I hope to only hear from people who have tried both and decided one is better than the other. I've read plenty of old posts from people who've ONLY tried hammer or ONLY infinit....they were helpful, but just didn't quite answer my question.

I'd appreciate any input from anyone who may be, or have been in my shoes?

You can flavor any "Unflavored" Hammer prodcut with any of their gels....my personal favorite is Espresso and freeze the bottle over night, just take it out in time so it's drinkable before you need it. I have never had a problem with mixing the amount, I just followed the directions on the tub, personally, that works for me. If Perpetum doesn't seem to fit the bill, try Sustained Energy...that's what happened to me, I found out that Sustained worked better for me. Or it could be the other way around.

For those who use Heed for more than 2 hours should try to use the S.E. or Perpetum after 2 hours. Heed can be a little sweet, but it is designed to work for rides/races under two hours.

I use Endurolytes at the beginning of the race (if it's hot out), as preventive medicine and use them continually (2-4 per hour) depending how I need them. It's not rocket science doing this and it's just creating some good habits. The little coin purses filled with about 10 little white magical pills tucked under the seam of your bike shorts are easy to get to and you only need one hand to do the whole operation.

As for the empty tubs....recycle please.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    I checked both websites and could find zero evidence of anything resembling food, anywhere. Nothin' even looked edible.

I recommend eating real food.

MC
    Yumm, bacon. That is what I would eat.
    "It's just that nobody likes Cornfish." francois

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 24 solo
    Today was a 5 hour ride and all I used was a mix I have designed for 24 hour events, Had zero hunger, no energy loss etc with a total of 5 bottles used.
    Are you using a camelback? Or riding laps? That seems like a lot of fluid and bottles to juggle for five hours.
    "It's just that nobody likes Cornfish." francois

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast