Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Grit 50 / 100 St George, Utah

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ecoomer 
#1 ·
I'm in for the 50. Who else?

#6 ·
Here's my score 1-10

Venue-------10 Beautiful weather great site.
Course------10 Real mountain bike course, challenging.
Organization---5 Reg was very slow. Course could have been marked much better, major issue in Pro Class.
Post Race meal.....10 Very good and plenty of it!

On balance it was a great day on the bike. Thanks to all.

Happy Trails

#7 ·
This was my third time doing the Grit. This year was definetely the best, first year was a rain out, second year seemed extremely windy. The weather this year was perfect. I think the course is very good and tough. Every time I finish this race my hands hurt worse than any other race I have done, very rough and rocky but good. The only negative to the course is the end. The end of the course is on a road that goes through an area that seems to be pretty abused by the atv crowd so it leaves a bad taste in your mouth on an otherwise beautiful course. Organizion is adequate, but not the best I have seen. Check in is really unnecessarily slow for a race with relatively small participation. The Firecracker 50 has many more racers and took a fraction of the time. Feed zones are adequate but again nothing out of this world. All three years I have done it the racers that go to the race seem very laid back and that makes it enjoyable. Being a mid to back of the pack guy it is never fun to be around overly competitive and pushy racers but this race draws a really good crowd. The only thing this year that was odd was the finish line, my wife told me that when the 100 miles top three finishers came through it was almost a non-issue, as if no one even noticed. Seems like should have been made a bigger deal of. They need to get the race announcer that does all of the races in CO, that guy can keep a crowd energized all day, in the case of the Breck 100 as long as 14 hours! Nothing beats an energized finish line and a crowd that is engaged, I.E. firecracker 50. Although most good finish line parties involve beer and this started and ended at a school so perhaps beer could be an issue?

That said I will do this race for years to come, as my wife and I love going down to Zion and it is a great excuse for me to make the 7 hour drive from CO to that part of Utah.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.