Desert Dweller
    Jan 2004

Grand Junction Off-Road by Epic Rides Labor Day weekend

Just announced by Epic Rides! 15,30,40 mi. courses. Pros and amateurs. I have never ridden up there, can anyone tell me how are the trails? They are still working on the exact route, but did mention Lunch Loops and Magellan loops.
    Epic Rides always puts on a good time and should be a great weekend!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Interesting. Grand Junction at the end of August... wear white clothing, sunscreen and bring lots of water. Its been a while but I'm pretty sure Magellan is mostly doubletrack. Am I wrong?

Lunch loops are a group of short but pretty technical runs that you could do over your lunch break if you worked in downtown GJ. Probably best described as intermediate and up, there's some pretty hairy stuff. Many different routes of varying technical nature but I'm sure you can find some youtube clips from the gnar crowd.

my two cents - That time of year I'd rather be in the high country crossing off some bucket list rides or saving my legs for Tom P's ride vaportrail 125

Desert Dweller
    Jan 2004
    Thx for the advice. I live and ride in Phx, so I don't think the heat will be a problem. Epic rides always puts on a great race, so I'm confident it will be worth my time and effort.

scarred

Average Labor Day Temps

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    Interesting. Grand Junction at the end of August... wear white clothing, sunscreen and bring lots of water. Its been a while but I'm pretty sure Magellan is mostly doubletrack. Am I wrong?
    The average high for August is 90 and the low is 61 and the average high for September is 80 with a low of 52. With a 7am start I think the temp should be in the mid 60s at start and be warm for the finish. After a summer of riding, it should be just about perfect.

The Magellan loop is rough, technical double track, but there is plenty of sweet singletrack on the proposed route. The Tabaguache trail system will test riders like no other endurance course I know.

-Dave

Dickhouse
    Dec 2010
    Too bad it's the same weekend has Park City P2P!! Doh, would've loved to make it to this first-time event.

mtbr member
    How is the course for hardtails? Or is a full suspension the way to go here?

scarred
    A hard tail will be very efficient in the significant climbing on the course, but that efficiency comes with a cost. The trail isn't buff singletrack. It is rocky, rough and has some technical pieces to it. If your goal is all-out speed, then it is hard to beat a super-light hardtail, but most prefer the smoothness that comes with a full suspension bike. I personally ride a Specialized 29er Stumpy EVO. It climbs very well, and tears down hill. I consider it a great match for my riding and these, my home trails.
    Dave Grossman,
    Event Manager
    Grand Junction Off-Road (Aug 30 - Sept 1).
    EpicRides.com

mtbr member
    Thanks Dave, Appreciate the information. I'll go with full suspension then.

scarred
    Have a great ride!
    Dave Grossman,
    Event Manager
    EpicRides.com

B2
    I tried to get the GPX file to preride the 40, but could not figure it out on the Topo fusion site. I think the problem is I am an apple user. Cant find the route on Garmin connect either. Can someone out there tell me where I can get a file to load into my Garmin 605?
    "Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished."...Dean Koontz

scarred

We the people ... Epic Rides' 40 Grand Course in GPX format

Try this to see if it works better with your Garmin 605. I converted the source KML file to GPX format using the app GPSBabelFE. I use a Mac, but I don't have a 605 to test it with.

The course is, well, epic!

Epic Rides' 40 Grand Course 2013.gpx
    Dave Grossman,
    Event Manager
    EpicRides.com

B2
    Ok so I must be missing something. I can download this to my computer, but cant get it to my Garmin. Do I need an app. or something? Is there a file in my Garmin I need to send this to?
    "Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished."...Dean Koontz

mtbr member
    Dave,

How would you say the course compares to the Whiskey Off-Road course or Moab's Porcupine Rim for course roughness and use of a hardtail? (if you have ridden either of these). Are there lots of large drops that would be better on Full Suspension?