mtbr member

GPS/wearable for longer events?

Interested in what folks are using. I have my tried and true Garmin edge 500 but its starting to get finicky and I may need to replace it soon. I've always wondered if there is a suitable multi-sport wearable device for longer events (think 100's... 9hr to 11hr range), considering the challenges with battery life when GPS is enabled. I'm sure folks have opinions, I'd love to hear them! thanks.

Occasionally engaged…

Suntuu Ambit 3 watch

I can give testimony on the Suntuu Ambit 3 watch. Its mapping and speed detecting properties are excellent. I occasionally have used it for up to 9 hours (highest sampling of GPS and with Heart Rate monitoring) and had about 20% of the battery left. I have recorded around 600 events on it over the last two years and had only one (seriously, only 1!) GPS glitch. I run with it every day and ski or cycle with it several times a week. It uploads though my laptop to a Suuntu site (Movescount) that then automatically (within minutes) transfers the data to Strava. I like it.
    "The plural of anecdote is not data." -- Attributed to various people in a variety of forms, but always worth remembering...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I love my Ambit 3. Highly Functional, although not simple to use. Once you learn it though it's awesome.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm still using my old Garmin 500. Works great for long events. I use my Apple Watch for most rides, love it... but the battery would not last as long as you are proposing.
    When my Garmin finally goes, I will be trying the Lezyne products.... they have larger bar mounted units and wearable units. They appear to be very good and are offered at an incredible price point.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

mtbr member
    Forerunner 935 or new Fenix 5 have GPS claim battery life up to 24hr. The biggest problem is the wrist based HR don't work well on anything in a outdoor mtn riding environment from the reviews. I'm sticking with the dedicated cycling GPS so I can have all the info on my handlebars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
    The biggest problem is the wrist based HR don't work well on anything in a outdoor mtn riding environment from the reviews.
    If you already have a HR strap from your bike computer, you can pair it with the wearable device.

livin' the dream......
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    I'm still using my old Garmin 500. Works great for long events. I use my Apple Watch for most rides, love it... but the battery would not last as long as you are proposing.
    When my Garmin finally goes, I will be trying the Lezyne products.... they have larger bar mounted units and wearable units. They appear to be very good and are offered at an incredible price point.
    Big fan of my Lezyne Macro GPS bar mount unit. I was pretty easy to set up, has all the functionality you could want and has been issue free. All that at a $100 price point! I have been a fan of their pumps, multi tools and now GPS. I am also considering their 1500 lumen light, which looks awesome for the price.
    I was too drunk and too much in pain to ride. Good times. - TacoBeer

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I have a Polar M450 which works well. It survived 13.5hrs with one bar left of battery at end. I was only running GPS tho. Either way, it should be a contender since it is cheap, functional, and seems to have fairly good battery life.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Garmin 920XT on my wrist. Sometimes paired with an Edge 25 or 810 as a head unit if I'm needing to look at numbers regurlarly, or mapping.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    got a etrex 35 touch. Awesome gps!!! Wouldn´t change it for anything else since it meets all my needs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Suunto Ambit 2 here, love it only reason I'd consider an Ambit 3 is the LED heart sensor over the HR strap. I've used it for Ultra's and 24hr AR races with no issues with HR monitoring as you can set the battery or how often it syncs with the HR and satellites for battery draw.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by chairthruster View Post
    Interested in what folks are using. I have my tried and true Garmin edge 500 but its starting to get finicky and I may need to replace it soon. I've always wondered if there is a suitable multi-sport wearable device for longer events (think 100's... 9hr to 11hr range), considering the challenges with battery life when GPS is enabled. I'm sure folks have opinions, I'd love to hear them! thanks.
    I had a Garmin Edge 500 as well. Loved it but after a number of years, the buttons started getting a bit sticky. I do a mix of mountain biking, road biking and trail running. I disliked having to carry my Edge 500 while running and moving it from bike to bike. I went with the Garmin Fenix 2. I've had that for a few years now, had no problems and been real pleased with it. It works with a chest heart rate monitor and the battery has held up well for endurance races and longer events. Works for just about any action sport you can imagine.

mtbr member
    I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their insights, thanks! You've given me some options to consider. One sort of obvious one I didn't think of before, I've learned some of the bar mount options have wrist mount accessories. As I ride more often than run, hike, this could be the ticket. thanks again!