mtbr member

Good xc tire choice in 26"

I'm going to do some mtn bike races around de this year. I'm not looking to spend a ton on a new bike so I'm using my perfectly fine giant trance in 26".
    Having been out of racing for many years, I have no idea of what a good race tire is anymore.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Bill

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm fond of my Schwalbes. I have the 2.25 Racing Ralph on the back on Rocket Ron on the front.

EDIT: Oops, the TOU do require me to mention that "Schwalbe" has their logo printed on my jersey somewhere. I don't get 'em at retail. But I do like them quite a lot.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I'm using Specialized S-works fast trak on the front and Renegade Control on the back.

They set up tubeless really easily, are fast rolling and light.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Re: Good xc tire choice in 26"

I'm in the saaaame. Boat. First season on the same bike. Trance x 26er. I use cheap tires. Cst heathen front and michellin wild race'r in the rear. I go vroom!
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I always liked IRC Mythos XC

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Schwalbes fan as well, but I only like the Racing Ralph's and Rocket Ron's on the rear - both 2.25". I personally like the Nobby Nic's 2.25" on the front.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I had a 2.1" Nobby Nic. I'm not that big a guy and the trails where I am are usually not too loose. Muddy sometimes, organics all over the top sometimes, but usually not too loose. I liked that tire, but I feel pretty confident with my Rocket Ron too. More so, since I'm just heavy enough that I was out of my "happy contact patch" zone once I raised my tire pressure enough not to pinch flat.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    I'm in the saaaame. Boat. First season on the same bike. Trance x 26er. I use cheap tires. Cst heathen front and michellin wild race'r in the rear. I go vroom!
    Hey, you like the Heathen? I designed that tire, but this is the first I've heard of someone actually riding it (aside from the people who tested the prototypes)!

P.S. Be on the lookout for a new tire from CST. It's maybe slightly more XC-ish than the Heathen, but I think it will corner better.
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    Hey, you like the Heathen? I designed that tire, but this is the first I've heard of someone actually riding it (aside from the people who tested the prototypes)!

P.S. Be on the lookout for a new tire from CST. It's maybe slightly more XC-ish than the Heathen, but I think it will corner better.
    I dig it. A little crawly in the rear but I have no problems with it up front. Do you work for cst? I'll be racing on it again this Saturday. It's been mounted Tubeless all winter problem free.
    Last edited by kikoraa; 03-11-2013 at 08:53 AM.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    I dig it. A little crawly in the rear but I have no problems with it up front. Do you work for cst? I'll be racing on it again this Saturday. It's been mounted Tubeless all winter problem free.
    I used to be the tire design and development engineer for CST / Maxxis. Good luck this weekend!
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

I don't have Schwalbe on my jersey, but I'll second the RoRo front, RaRa rear combo. The Rocket Ron is so confidence inspiring. I love it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Have been happy with the Maxxix Crossmark under most condtions, when things get really dry, will pair with a Kenda Small block 8 on the rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by archrival View Post
    Have been happy with the Maxxix Crossmark under most condtions, when things get really dry, will pair with a Kenda Small block 8 on the rear.
    Schwalbe fast fred and jimmy light on the front is pretty good (not for the wet though

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    So when will it be released? Any suggestions from CST for a good all around tire? Variable conditions here in Florida, from sandy, to hardpack, limestone and coquina, to mud. Sometimes all in the same ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post

So when will it be released? Any suggestions from CST for a good all around tire? Variable conditions here in Florida, from sandy, to hardpack, limestone and coquina, to mud. Sometimes all in the same ride.